Hornblower
Pioneer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

13 Mar 2017 13:36

I tried to replicate some of that lighting 
scr00189.jpg
scr00190.jpg
scr00191.jpg
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

pzampella
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Mar 2017 06:25

Will this new nebula update be applicable to flat irregular galaxies like the Magellanic Clouds? I would really like to explore the Magellanic Clouds with their real non-flat form.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Mar 2017 15:45

Continue developing post-effect shaders. First, simple color enhancement. Will be configurable.

scr00457.jpg

scr00456.jpg

Next, effect called pseudo lens flare.

scr00451.jpg

scr00458.jpg

Flares inherits the shape of the light source.

scr00459.jpg

Any light source now can generate flares, even brightly illuminated object.

scr00460.jpg

scr00453.jpg

scr00454.jpg

scr00452.jpg

Effect is fully integrated into the engine: added preset config files similar to those for old lens flares, added drop-down box to the graphics settings menu, sliders to adjust effect brightness. It is not possible to assign a custom texture to the lens ghosts, because they are actually a blurred frame image, sampled several times. So modding ability of this effect is minimal. You can change the dirty lens texture, "star rays" texture, radial colouring texture, and number and intensity of ghosts.

Destructor1701
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Mar 2017 15:54

Excellent. I think it needs tweaking, but the groundwork is there for an excellent and realistic effect. I love that anything in the scene bright enough will generate a flare.

It's a little hard to get a handle on in stills, though - any chance of a gif or a video?

Hornblower
Pioneer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Mar 2017 15:55

Sorry, I just passed out. *looks again*

*passes out again*

:shock: this might be...the single greatest update so far
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

Fireinthehole
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Mar 2017 23:42

When you think this update cannot be more awesome, SpaceEngineer shows us a yet more awesome new feature! I love this one. :)

Quarior
Explorer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

17 Mar 2017 02:49

Very beautiful work. Space Engine are more realist :).
Just, ship's lights (lights, thrusters,...) can emit light on a object close (surface of a planet by example) ?
Also, object can make shadow (by example the Death Star hide the sun and make solar eclipse on the planet) ?

NathanKerbonaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

17 Mar 2017 05:41

You're the best, SpaceEngineer :D
Lover of cute typhlosions and space games. Profile pic source: http://bit.ly/2fiRJmW
My mods: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=173
I'm Thomas988 on the old forums, in case you need to know.

Voubi
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

17 Mar 2017 07:28

That's it, i'm hyped to death, again...

Anyway, well done SpaceEngineer, keep up the astonishingly, mind-bogglingly awesome works...
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known..."
-Carl Sagan

Destructor1701
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

17 Mar 2017 10:20

Quarior wrote:
Very beautiful work. Space Engine are more realist :).
Just, ship's lights (lights, thrusters,...) can emit light on a object close (surface of a planet by example) ?
Also, object can make shadow (by example the Death Star hide the sun and make solar eclipse on the planet) ?

Those are very different features to implement, and will take a lot of work, but I believe Space Engineer intends to do them at some point. Initially, he wasn't willing to do emissive textures (glowing bits on ships/Lava) unless they included environmental splash lighting effects as you described. A number of us whined at him until he did emis textures.
But yes, shadows and deferred lighting are definitely planned, just not necessarily any time soon.

Two other texture-related features I'm waiting patiently for are cube-mapped reflections and alpha-blended transparency. That will allow for things like transparent windows on ships with the stars reflecting on the glass.

Cube maps are already being generated for things like black hole and ship-warp distortion effects, so what remains is mapping them to the geometry of the ships accurately.

Bump map lighting also needs an overhaul, the light is not playing on the bumps accurately at the moment.

That's just a small sample of the loooooooooong list of things Space Engineer has on his to-do list, there are a thousand other things I didn't mention, so you can imagine it may be a while before shadows and splash lighting are implemented, but the wait will be full of awesome new stuff!

Tuskin38
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

17 Mar 2017 16:15

Wow, those Nebulae are beau-ti-ful!

spaceguy
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

17 Mar 2017 18:31

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Continue developing post-effect shaders. First, simple color enhancement. Will be configurable.

scr00457.jpg

scr00456.jpg

scr00451.jpg

scr00458.jpg

scr00459.jpg

scr00460.jpg

scr00453.jpg

scr00454.jpg

scr00452.jpg

Effect is fully integrated into the engine: added preset config files similar to those for old lens flares, added drop-down box to the graphics settings menu, sliders to adjust effect brightness. It is not possible to assign a custom texture to the lens ghosts, because they are actually a blurred frame image, sampled several times. So modding ability of this effect is minimal. You can change the dirty lens texture, "star rays" texture, radial colouring texture, and number and intensity of ghosts.

I don't know why but those lens flares really bother me...
Probably has to do with the shape and that there's no diffraction spikes.

Julian
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

17 Mar 2017 22:12

pzampella wrote:
Will this new nebula update be applicable to flat irregular galaxies like the Magellanic Clouds? I would really like to explore the Magellanic Clouds with their real non-flat form.

The easiest way to improve the shapes of Magellanic Clouds is to make their textures cubemapped instead of cylindrical mapped. We would need to generate some fake "side views", or borrow them from photos of other irregular galaxies. I've been considering making a mod like that.

tehsauce
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

18 Mar 2017 01:33

These images are amazing SE! Can't wait for the next update  :D

Solaris_
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

18 Mar 2017 03:18

spaceguy wrote:
SpaceEngineer wrote:

scr00457.jpg

scr00456.jpg

scr00451.jpg

scr00458.jpg

scr00459.jpg

scr00460.jpg

scr00453.jpg

scr00454.jpg

scr00452.jpg

I don't know why but those lens flares really bother me...
Probably has to do with the shape and that there's no diffraction spikes.

Maybe you can just close those lens flares effects.