Free planetarium

 
Duke
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Posts: 13
Joined: 02 Nov 2016

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

31 Jul 2017 12:06

Destructor1701 wrote:
I switched to experiments with 3D clouds, star surface and water.
- Duke

Oh man, it's wonderful to hear this is being worked on. When you say Star surface, do you mean like, active coronas? Flares and CMEs?

Yes, but with some simplifications. Because in SE time can flow in both directions it is difficult to use pure physical simulations.

ARBB: I already recommended Afluby water and clouds, it comes with global illumination, ray-tracing, and it is good enough for planetary scale, with few reworks Duke can implement it into the engine. (hopefully).
https://m.youtube.com/user/afluby

I saw this work and many other works on internet. Unfortunately there is no good enough implementation of volumetric clouds which can maintain quality for all scales from space to ground. A lot of work need to be done to implement such system.
 
User avatar
ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 65
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Location: Doom.
Contact:

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

31 Jul 2017 14:38

Duke wrote:
Source of the post I saw this work and many other works on internet. Unfortunately there is no good enough implementation of volumetric clouds which can maintain quality for all scales from space to ground. A lot of work need to be done to implement such system

What about his water?
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE
 
User avatar
Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 211
Joined: 03 Nov 2016
Location: Veneto, Italy
Contact:

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

31 Jul 2017 23:18

ARBB wrote:
What about his water?

I think in the "planet video" he used a water that is very similar to the one SE actually use.

If you mean that wonderful water with waves and stuff of the other videos it's probably very complicated to be implement in SE, also because it requires real-time reflections and those cannot be easily implemented since water it's not a flat plane (like in 99% of games) but a sphere that covers the whole planet. So it's hard to see it in the 0.9.8.1 version, maybe in the next one.  :)
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs
 
User avatar
ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 65
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Location: Doom.
Contact:

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

01 Aug 2017 09:51

Salvo wrote:
Source of the post If you mean that wonderful water with waves and stuff of the other videos it's probably very complicated to be implement in SE, also because it requires real-time reflections and those cannot be easily implemented since water it's not a flat plane (like in 99% of games) but a sphere that covers the whole planet.

Well, proland deal with this feature pretty well, outerra too.
> But Artur-desu, those are pre-rendered closed systems with optimizations specially made for those specific environments, therefore, not only those games handle the water better, but you need to consider different parameters for different fluids in another planets and such, b-baka!
 Damn right, but better shaders would be nice.
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE
 
Duke
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Posts: 13
Joined: 02 Nov 2016

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

01 Aug 2017 14:36

ARBB wrote:
Duke wrote:
Source of the post I saw this work and many other works on internet. Unfortunately there is no good enough implementation of volumetric clouds which can maintain quality for all scales from space to ground. A lot of work need to be done to implement such system

What about his water?

As I understand from code his implementation is for plane. And yes I think proland implementation is better suit for SE, but it requires some opengl 4 functions.
 
User avatar
ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 65
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Location: Doom.
Contact:

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

01 Aug 2017 17:40

Duke wrote:
Source of the post As I understand from code his implementation is for plane.

Correct, he is working on a plane simulator.

Duke wrote:
Source of the post  And yes I think proland implementation is better suit for SE, but it requires some opengl 4 functions.


And what is the problem with that? Does the engine needs to be updated? Also, in his procedural planet video, even tho the clouds don't look nice, the water seems pretty.
 If you haven't checked, there is a more close project with SE that Silviu Andrei made, here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/asilviu2008
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE
 
Duke
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Posts: 13
Joined: 02 Nov 2016

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

02 Aug 2017 15:28

ARBB wrote:
Duke wrote:
Source of the post As I understand from code his implementation is for plane.

Correct, he is working on a plane simulator.

Duke wrote:
Source of the post  And yes I think proland implementation is better suit for SE, but it requires some opengl 4 functions.


And what is the problem with that? Does the engine needs to be updated? Also, in his procedural planet video, even tho the clouds don't look nice, the water seems pretty.
 If you haven't checked, there is a more close project with SE that Silviu Andrei made, here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/asilviu2008

I mean water shader is working on flat plane, not on the spherical planet. And yes, for proland like water some parts of SE must be reworked. Also I saw Silviu's work. It was made on DirectX and it hasn't been published anywhere yet.
 
User avatar
Julian
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 73
Joined: 17 Dec 2016
Location: Bellevue, Washington, USA

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

03 Aug 2017 11:56

Will the new raymarched nebulae still allow you to use cubemaps to define the shapes of catalog nebulae?

I realized from looking at LifeLive42's "Stellar" video that dust clouds in galaxies are still using sprite rendering. Are they going to be changed to raymarching in 0.9.8.1, or will that wait until a later version?
 
User avatar
ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 65
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Location: Doom.
Contact:

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

03 Aug 2017 12:31

Julian wrote:
Source of the post I realized from looking at LifeLive42's "Stellar" video that dust clouds in galaxies are still using sprite rendering. Are they going to be changed to raymarching in 0.9.8.1, or will that wait until a later version?

I realized that, probably needs more works for a galactic scale.
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE
 
User avatar
SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author
Posts: 453
Joined: 17 May 2016
Location: Saint-Petersburg
Contact:

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

03 Aug 2017 12:36

Julian wrote:
Source of the post Will the new raymarched nebulae still allow you to use cubemaps to define the shapes of catalog nebulae?

No, they are completely procedural.

Julian wrote:
Source of the post I realized from looking at LifeLive42's "Stellar" video that dust clouds in galaxies are still using sprite rendering. Are they going to be changed to raymarching in 0.9.8.1, or will that wait until a later version?

We didn't even started working on galaxies.
 
User avatar
Julian
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 73
Joined: 17 Dec 2016
Location: Bellevue, Washington, USA

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

03 Aug 2017 14:34

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Julian wrote:
Source of the post Will the new raymarched nebulae still allow you to use cubemaps to define the shapes of catalog nebulae?

No, they are completely procedural.

So does that mean catalog nebulae will still consist of sprite particles in 0.9.8.1?
 
User avatar
ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 65
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Location: Doom.
Contact:

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

03 Aug 2017 15:10

Duke wrote:
Source of the post  Also I saw Silviu's work. It was made on DirectX and it hasn't been published anywhere yet.

He posted it on his blog. Do you mean, the actual download for the engine?
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE
 
Duke
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Posts: 13
Joined: 02 Nov 2016

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

06 Aug 2017 05:47

ARBB wrote:
Duke wrote:
Source of the post  Also I saw Silviu's work. It was made on DirectX and it hasn't been published anywhere yet.

He posted it on his blog. Do you mean, the actual download for the engine?

Yes.
 
User avatar
SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author
Posts: 453
Joined: 17 May 2016
Location: Saint-Petersburg
Contact:

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

07 Aug 2017 15:43

Past week (and weekend) I had working on implementing a precise planet and moons ephemerides. Today lunar eclipse:

scr00791.jpg


I will make a blog post with details after completing this system.
 
User avatar
Quarior
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 254
Joined: 11 Oct 2016
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia
Contact:

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

07 Aug 2017 16:29

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Past week (and weekend) I had working on implementing a precise planet and moons ephemerides. Today lunar eclipse:

Image

I will make a blog post with details after completing this system.

Nice :)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests