Free planetarium

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 13:19

Zymoox wrote:
Source of the post Therefore, is there a possibility to see stain-lacking selenas on the upcoming version (or even later on)?

Yes, I also added script/editor parameters to control this effect.

Dr. Kaii
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 14:25

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Dr. Kaii wrote:
Source of the post True, that's a problem, but it fading creates a different problem. Sometimes I am studying it and it just fades. For example I want to watch the distance or apparent magnitude as I move, or I am reading through all the stats but it fades before I can get to the end. Maybe let us be able to pin it? Or something. If we really want it to go, we can just press the "turn off interface" button so I don't think fading is necessary

Better option for VR is attaching all interface to controllers. By pressing some button you will see a "info hologram" near the controller. I think this is the best option. Old style info near the planet will be used for compatibility with VR helmets with no controller (Oculus does not shipped with them by default).

Fantastic idea, I really like it. Just please make sure that compatibility option for no controller doesn't fade if possible. Space engine has a lot of functions and I find it useful to be able to have lots of buttons, so those VR controllers aren't always used. We sometimes still prefer to sit with a mouse, keyboard and xbox controller and explore, change time rates, brightness, magnitude limits, lens flairs, turn off/on the interface, bring up the detailed info, turn off "real planet brightness", change the MSAA in complex scenes, turn it back on...
Using the VR controllers is nice, but our main use is with all the buttons we can get, even in VR (especially in VR!), so being able to fix the info stats when we want to read them is a must. 
i7 7700K - 4.7MHz, Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 HerculeZ Twin X2 8192MB, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, CV1 + Oculus Touch

TheRedstoneHive
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 16:31

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but, where can I ask questions about the new version that are not related to what a dev has posted?

ettore_bilbo
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

30 Jul 2017 01:55

from Blog post of 29 July:

"With 0.981, SE will be the first game engine which generates physically-accurate planets. The new model is also enables modelling of the planet’s internal structure: it is possible to calculate at which radius the iron core transitions into the silicate mantle, and what temperature, pressure and density are there."

Wow!!!
are you thinking of integrate also plate tectonics or this will be later?

P.S. there's an automatic metod for insert quotes from blog?

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

30 Jul 2017 02:38

ettore_bilbo wrote:
Source of the post are you thinking of integrate also plate tectonics or this will be later?

This is extremely difficult and will not happen soon.

ettore_bilbo wrote:
Source of the post P.S. there's an automatic metod for insert quotes from blog?

No
Ryzen 7 1700 OC to 3.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 980 Ti 6144 MB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

ettore_bilbo
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

30 Jul 2017 02:56

HarbingerDawn wrote:
Source of the post      are you thinking of integrate also plate tectonics or this will be later?

This is extremely difficult and will not happen soon.

just to be precise, I don't mean a fullly integration of plate tectonics there is so much to do before it's possible! :-D, i meant only a fictitious textual classification.

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

30 Jul 2017 05:50

Hopefully with this update we get physically accurate geology, such as Ionian-like mountains on airless planets and new, procedurally generated volcanoes of various types, stages and morphology. Maybe fluvial geomorphology and other types of geological erosion processes.

SCtester
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

30 Jul 2017 09:48

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post Idea about new info table (photoshop mokeup):

Great, I'm happy to see a change for this. Personally, in the non-expended view, I'd have even less information for a cleaner UI look - possibly just the very basic information like weather it has life, temperature, radius, class, and name. Then clicking the expand button would show all the other info. 
On another unrelated note, anyone who hasn't seen the latest blog post should - very exciting stuff! The new nebulae are looking better and better, SpaceEngineer has been doing a lot more work with planet classifications and making the engine very scientifically accurate, and Duke even mentioned that he's started experimenting with better water, clouds, and star surfaces! All extremely exciting stuff, can't wait for this update. 

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

30 Jul 2017 09:59

spaceguy wrote:
Source of the post Hopefully with this update we get physically accurate geology, such as Ionian-like mountains on airless planets and new, procedurally generated volcanoes of various types, stages and morphology. Maybe fluvial geomorphology and other types of geological erosion processes.

Modelling of a planet composition (very simple) is not related with the stuff you had mentioned.

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

30 Jul 2017 12:06

SpaceEngineer wrote:
spaceguy wrote:
Source of the post Hopefully with this update we get physically accurate geology, such as Ionian-like mountains on airless planets and new, procedurally generated volcanoes of various types, stages and morphology. Maybe fluvial geomorphology and other types of geological erosion processes.

Modelling of a planet composition (very simple) is not related with the stuff you had mentioned.

Well my stuff is related to planets in general, no? Are you just working on modelling the internal structure of planets and their classification in this update only?

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

30 Jul 2017 12:50

spaceguy wrote:
Source of the post Well my stuff is related to planets in general, no? Are you just working on modelling the internal structure of planets and their classification in this update only?

Of course. I am writing about everything I am working on.

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

30 Jul 2017 13:14

SpaceEngineer wrote:
spaceguy wrote:
Source of the post Well my stuff is related to planets in general, no? Are you just working on modelling the internal structure of planets and their classification in this update only?

Of course. I am writing about everything I am working on.

Oh. So is that a yes that my stuff is relevant to planets, or is that a yes to you assuring me that you're only working on planet classification/internal structure models? Sorry if I didn't understand. ;m;

Destructor1701
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

30 Jul 2017 17:26

I switched to experiments with 3D clouds, star surface and water.
- Duke

Oh man, it's wonderful to hear this is being worked on. When you say Star surface, do you mean like, active coronas? Flares and CMEs?

The funny thing is that this code could be used for real scientific work: to predict a planet’s radius, mass or bulk composition, if one of them is unknown.
- Space Engineer

That is absolutely mind-blowing! A visualiser tool that got so accurate as to actually prove potentially scientifically useful!

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

30 Jul 2017 21:53

Those new nebula look gorgeous. I just can't stop looking at them! Analyzing every cloud and it's color.
And the water rework? I busted a nut hearing that. Honestly, even if it is just a new shader, I am happy. And the cloud tech also seems promising.
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

30 Jul 2017 21:57

I already recommended Afluby water and clouds, it comes with global illumination, ray-tracing, and it is good enough for planetary scale, with few reworks Duke can implement it into the engine. (hopefully).
https://m.youtube.com/user/afluby
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE