Ultimate space simulation software

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

11 Nov 2017 18:27

As I frequently said, it's better to not ask me about release date, I am bad on planning and deadlines. And development of SE is like writing a poem, I can't predict what I will make after a month. For example, upgrading terrain rendering was not planned 2 month ago, but now I cannot stop, this work must be completed. I am also working on a side project, which taking some time from SE development.
^^ As a creative worldbuilder for my TPE and LS projects, I can totally relate. :)

Good luck with the side project! :)
Specs: STGAubron desktop PC; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2 12 GB Vram, Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz, 12 cpus; 32 GB RAM; Windows 11 x64

catvanbrian
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

11 Nov 2017 22:29

As I frequently said, it's better to not ask me about release date, I am bad on planning and deadlines. And development of SE is like writing a poem,
Finally a real excuse, you don't have deadline because you can't plan or predict as well in the first place, but that won't stop others from trying to ask you when you think it's finished, especially newcomers to space engine.

Solaris_
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

12 Nov 2017 02:25

As I frequently said, it's better to not ask me about release date, I am bad on planning and deadlines. And development of SE is like writing a poem,
Finally a real excuse, you don't have deadline because you can't plan or predict as well in the first place, but that won't stop others from trying to ask you when you think it's finished, especially newcomers to space engine.
But mostly,many people are lack of patience :( That's probably the main reason........
I'm always ready to see news,regardless what is it.

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

12 Nov 2017 08:53

Dense atmospheres will use models made to simulate denser atmospheres, while thin atmospheres will use models made to simulate thinner atmospheres, all with appropriate colors.
This is great. But I have a question: do they blend?
What I mean by this is: does a thick atmosphere become an earth atmosphere and then a thin and an ethereal one as we rise away from the planet surface? That could be a way to create realistic multilayered atmospheres such as the ones of Mars (thin ochre water-deprived (and therefore dirty) atmosphere below a blue clear ethereal one) or Titan, although I guess that may be hard to achieve techically and maybe also tasking on the hardware.
My addons are to be found at JCandeias' Ships

Current count: 2

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

12 Nov 2017 15:48

JCandeias, what you're describing is impossible within the limitations of the current atmosphere implementation in SE.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Yuno
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

12 Nov 2017 16:03

But mostly,many people are lack of patience :( That's probably the main reason........
theres patience, then theres being told something & the opposite happens. we were told "with such certainty" that SE will be on steam for THE PUBLIC, this year. ya the years not done yet, but hope is slipping.. but by all means prove me wrong.
its a thing now, when devs say something, expect it taking triple the time at best.

Mihajlo
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

12 Nov 2017 16:40

HarbingerDawn: Here are the links to the open source Flightgear flight simulator, which has an excellent atmospheric scattering model (it was coded by a physicist) that can possibly give you some ideas on how to further improve atmosphere model in SE.
http://www.flightgear.org/tours/the-mag ... -and-haze/
http://wiki.flightgear.org/ALS_technical_notes
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Atmospheric_light_scattering

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

12 Nov 2017 17:29

theres patience, then theres being told something & the opposite happens. we were told "with such certainty" that SE will be on steam for THE PUBLIC, this year.
This is exactly why we don't ever like to state release dates for anything. It's absolutely impossible to predict what might happen in the future, so even if you feel totally confident that you can meet a particular date, something can come up to derail those plans, and then everyone responds with things like "OMGWTF U SAID DAT IT WUD B OUT BY NAO U R ALL LIARS AND THIEVES AND I'M BOYCOTTING U 4EVER >:(((((((("
HarbingerDawn: Here are the links to the open source Flightgear flight simulator, which has an excellent atmospheric scattering model (it was coded by a physicist) that can possibly give you some ideas on how to further improve atmosphere model in SE
Yeah we've already been looking at some other open source atmospheric scattering solutions for inspiration, but we've got a lot of other things that have to be dealt with first. Thanks for the links anyway.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

13 Nov 2017 03:32

we were told "with such certainty" that SE will be on steam for THE PUBLIC, this year. ya the years not done yet, but hope is slipping.. but by all means prove me wrong.
its a thing now, when devs say something, expect it taking triple the time at best.
Look at Japan Studio, they announced The Last Guardian a lot of times, in the beginning for 2011, then it was postponed to october 2016, then to september and finally to december 2016.

And it's a professional studio! How do you think a single developer (with some help, but he's doing the most of work) can make such predictions? He probably mentioned it without taking too much attention to it, he didn't even make a trailer or any official announcement. Also you can play the old version, it doesn't have too many differences after all, just in graphics and a few things.

These are things that happens to every game, not just SE. Look at Ubisoft, they focused on releasing AC Origins at the announced date but it has so many bugs you can't even play it. That game is a disaster, I wouldn't release it if I was the developer, I don't want the same thing to happen to SE just to respect a "release date".  :)
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

13 Nov 2017 08:20

My goodness. If you're already bored with S.E. 0.9.8.0, then 0.9.9.0 is not going to hold your attention for very long, either.

I just don't understand this mentality that there must always be a newer version just for the sake of being new.

ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

13 Nov 2017 08:22

theres patience, then theres being told something & the opposite happens. we were told "with such certainty" that SE will be on steam for THE PUBLIC, this year. ya the years not done yet, but hope is slipping.. but by all means prove me wrong.
Maybe we should remember that SE isn't a commercial product. None of us bought anything, and none of us have any rights to a job that SpaceEngineer is sharing with us for his choice and generosity (He is not in debt with us, but, i think, the opposite). Anyone who wants can contribute, of course, but SE is not yet a commercial operation and if you look at the home page you can see that at present the funds are only about $200 for month. Definitely too little money to claim speed and punctuality from a single person...

Stealing words to another: "Ask not what the developer can do for you, ask what you can do for the developer" :-P

wxr939914149
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

13 Nov 2017 21:22

我想支持你们的开发工作,但是你们的支付方式不适合中国,可以开放支付宝、银联这一类的支付方式么
[hr] Translation:

I want to support your development work, but your payment is not suitable for China, you can open Alipay, UnionPay this type of payment

Dr. Kaii
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

14 Nov 2017 03:04

Translation: 
I want to support your development work, but your payment is not suitable for China, you can open Alipay, UnionPay this type of payment
i9 9900K - 5.0MHz, Palit 2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, Vive Pro

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

14 Nov 2017 05:29

wxr939914149, thanks, but I am not sure that Alipay or UnionPay is suitable in Russia... I guess Paypal accepts credit cards?

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

14 Nov 2017 05:33

Reflections on ships: http://spaceengine.org/news/blog171114/

LOL it's a screenshot number 1000 in my screenshots folder. I'm clearing up it after each release.