Ultimate space simulation software

midtskogen
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress 0.9.8.1 = 0.9.9.0

23 Apr 2018 14:06

HarbingerDawn wrote:
Source of the post There's probably a reason why few engines support such things

I don't know much about GPU programming these days, but it sounds extremely costly for a very minor enhancement.  Perhaps there exist some cheap tricks to mimic such self-reflections, but what can be done now in real-time with regular graphics cards is pretty close to what people did with proper raytracing 25 years ago, which is almost unbelievable.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

23 Apr 2018 15:23

Raytracing 25 years ago was not real time. Even now real raytracing (not a "cheat" one) is not real time on most PC hardware.
Many modern game engines introduces screen space reflections - a cheap and cheat way to imitate raytracing of the reflected rays. But this have obvious limitations - if the reflected ray goes outside the screen edge or behind some object, nothing can be rendered there. Pretty much like how black hole shader in old SE worked (and in 0.98 at "low" settings).

midtskogen
Pioneer
Pioneer

24 Apr 2018 01:51

I know, I'm just saying that if we had shown people 25 years ago what modern engines can do now, they might have believed that raytracing was involved, since it looks so amazing.

ADDED: But actually, I do wonder if game engines of the future will actually switch to raytracing.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

21 May 2018 06:05

New blog post - constellations
http://spaceengine.org/blog180521/

Solaris_
Observer
Observer

21 May 2018 06:25

Wow,sounds a bit complex, for me a little bit.
I'm always ready to see news,regardless what is it.

Shion
Observer
Observer

21 May 2018 07:27

This is so totally awesome!!
But man, at least why not had a prior release with VR support before working on further development? We are so hungry just for the VR experience of space, didn't need or expect so many improvements all at once. By this pace I think we won't get any update before Christmas, but thank you anyway. I think you should be paid for your work, that's simple ethics. Cheers.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

21 May 2018 07:35

Shion wrote:
Source of the post  I think you should be paid for your work, that's simple ethics. Cheers.

This is why I pay so many attention to the Overview project (and I also have a contract oblications). Constellations are another side work, with ESO for planetarium version (it is another market for SE). All this side work delaying release, but it must be done.

Macronicus
Astronaut
Astronaut

21 May 2018 08:15

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Shion wrote:
Source of the post  I think you should be paid for your work, that's simple ethics. Cheers.

This is why I pay so many attention to the Overview project (and I also have a contract oblications). Constellations are another side work, with ESO for planetarium version (it is another market for SE). All this side work delaying release, but it must be done.

Are you now working on the new nebula models and add them to procedural nebulas?
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

21 May 2018 09:25

Woah! Nice! :D

Beautful work!

Fixed a dark spot bug in the atmosphere in center of a day hemisphere of a planet

Wait what? I honestly thought it had been fixed already, lol. I couldn't see any opacity spots at all in 0.980 :O
Specs: Dell Inspiron 5547 (Laptop); 8 gigabytes of RAM; Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz; Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (That's all there is :( )

Betelgeuze
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

21 May 2018 09:38

Wow nice! :shock: What happens to line of Orion when Rigel star has been removed from catalog?

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

21 May 2018 11:25

Nice work. When we can have to make custom constellation, we can use just system/star/galaxy scripted or also with procedural system ?

Also you talk about geographic label, planned also for procedural planet/moon (for this moment, just high and low point of elevation) ?
Good continuation and have a nice day.

Fireinthehole
Astronaut
Astronaut

21 May 2018 12:00

Wow! I'd love to travel around our solar neighborhood and see how the constellations change. :)

Shion
Observer
Observer

21 May 2018 14:01

[quote="SpaceEngineer"][quote="Shion"][post]20446[/post]  I think you should be paid for your work, that's simple ethics. Cheers.[/quote]
This is why I pay so many attention to the Overview project (and I also have a contract oblications). Constellations are another side work, with ESO for planetarium version (it is another market for SE). All this side work delaying release, but it must be done.[/quote]

Nice explanation!

The Man has got stolen for a while, but the day will come when he will present us an absolutely fantastic gift for the whole planetary community. Something truly divinely groundbreaking!
I feel time is ticking and more people need to discover the Cosmos more, especially through VR.
Thank you and greetings from Switzerland.

JKerman
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

21 May 2018 15:18

If you keep adding features, the release might be ages away. Squad(makers of Kerbal Space Program) released KSC 1.0 partially incomplete, and just added a few features per update until 1.0.5, which had everything implemented for the full release. Just an idea, but it might make each feature seem bigger, because you’d be dedicating a whole update for each one. Then, you might be able to focus more on making each feature better!

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer

23 May 2018 04:17

JKerman wrote:
If you keep adding features, the release might be ages away. Squad(makers of Kerbal Space Program) released KSC 1.0 partially incomplete, and just added a few features per update until 1.0.5, which had everything implemented for the full release. Just an idea, but it might make each feature seem bigger, because you’d be dedicating a whole update for each one. Then, you might be able to focus more on making each feature better!

Nothing changes, it is just matter of numbers.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs