Ultimate space simulation software

donatelo200
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress 0.9.9.0

16 Jul 2018 19:04

Raymarched nebulae are.  Galaxies haven't been touched yet.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: Unknown 16G-D3-1600-MR 2x8GB
MBD: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)

NoName
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.9.9.0

19 Jul 2018 05:38

Space Engineer thanks for adding many cool features into 0.990 like nebula dust blocks out light. There's one thing that's bugging me though, the luminosities of giant stars. Sure, if giant stars had realistic luminosity otherwise invisible stars would become unrealistically bright in the night sky.

I asked the same question 3 years ago and you said SE can't model interstellar light absorbtion.

But if interstellar space has a weak nebula effect implemented gradually stealing more of the star's light the further away, will it fix the problem? Or have I missed something in the 0.990 changelog? Or are the changelog still open for edit/further work?

JKerman
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress 0.9.9.0

21 Jul 2018 12:27

If there's anything (non-coding) I can do to assist in development, I'd be happy to help. (like promo art, texture map drawing, performance testing, etc.)

MatthewDilks2
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.9.9.0

25 Jul 2018 11:02

I cannot wait until the next version of SpaceEngine releases. It's going to be the best!
My addiction to SpaceEngine is real.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Work progress 0.9.9.0

09 Aug 2018 14:04

Are black hole accretion disks going to be volumetric in 0.9.9.0, given a bulge while remaining a texture or going to remain the same? 
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress 0.9.9.0

11 Aug 2018 15:52

In 0.990 they will remain the same.

Macronicus
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.9.9.0

11 Aug 2018 16:42

In 0.990 they will remain the same.
Your back!

Though im kinda upset that the black hole's accretion disk will remain the same but at least the new bloom effect makes them look better.
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

Work progress 0.9.9.0

12 Aug 2018 15:48

hopefully not... i think there many people that wants to try the new version. why not make update releases frequently? there so many changes. and it takes so long. i think you could make updates/patches piecemeal for all(like early access games on steam).
Because some of the updates are rather complex and if installed as they are released sequentially they would require a re-downloading of the entire game. To streamline this, the programmer(s) would need to create an installation program to do this automatically, which in the end would only detract from the actual programming of the game and delay it even further. Maybe something like this can be created once we get version 1.00.

Personally, I think it was smart of SpaceEngineer to release the game like this, as it increases anticipation for the game and forces people to stick around and build up a following around the game. As soon as you give people what they want as soon as they want it, they will get bored and abandon the project. I have seen this happen countless times with other projects. Keep faith! SE 0.990 might be released later this year.
Futurum Fusionem

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress 0.9.9.0

22 Aug 2018 12:19

hopefully not... i think there many people that wants to try the new version. why not make update releases frequently? there so many changes. and it takes so long. i think you could make updates/patches piecemeal for all(like early access games on steam).
Because this version has many changes in the engine core, and they all are not completed yet. Yes, it take 2 years, but the amount of work is huge. In future I will try to release smaller updates more often.
But now I cannot release SE, because it have many new incompleted, not debugged and not optimized things.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress 0.9.9.0

22 Aug 2018 12:24

I asked the same question 3 years ago and you said SE can't model interstellar light absorbtion.

But if interstellar space has a weak nebula effect implemented gradually stealing more of the star's light the further away, will it fix the problem? Or have I missed something in the 0.990 changelog? Or are the changelog still open for edit/further work?
No, new nebulae will not help with this. The problem is that stars must be rendered inside dust somehow. New nebulae does not support this, they are rendered on top of stars. So if you have some star which is closer to you than nebula, nebula's dust will absorb light from that star anyway. Making this correct is a very complex task. I have some algorithms in mind, but I will work on them after 0.990 release.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress 0.9.9.0

22 Aug 2018 13:31

So recently I got the Radeon RX 580, and now working on debugging SE on AMD cards. Many bugs are fixed already, but some serious ones are still left (random crashes on a planet). I using some debugging tools from AMD to detect issues and performance problems, but sometimes these tools crashes together with SE (and with driver), so this work is not easy.

It is important to switch GPU time to time, to make sure I did not break something on NVidia while polishing code on AMD. To make life easy, I put RX 580 to the same PC where GeForce 1060 lives. This eliminates the need to swap GPU physically, just reconnect monitor cable on the back of PC. But I wanted to go further and find a way to choose the GPU for SE programmatically. Windows virtualized driver system is okay with dual GPU setup, I was able to install NVidia and AMD drivers to with no problems. I have 2 displays (monitor and TV), and Windows works well, showing extended desktop even if displays are connected to different GPUs. But some games goes crazy with this setup. Some refuses to launch or launch on TV instead of monitor. HTC Vive games shows weird behaviour: loading the GPU to 100%, while in HMD I can see only the Steam VR "empty space" scene. As far as I know now, VR games tends to work only then HMD is connected to the same GPU where the primary display is connected. Also, OpenGL (and thus SE) does not have a way to programmatically choose the GPU where to start rendering (NVidia and AMD have some API for this, but it works only if you have dual GPU of the same vendor). As like VR, OpenGL games, including SE, uses the same GPU, where the primary display is connected.

So I found a way to switch GPU for SE by software way, not touching the computer physically. Currently my monitor is connected to Radeon, and TV is connected to GeForce, so SE launches on Radeon by default. But then I want to switch, I change the "primary display" in Windows screen resolution settings to TV, then SE launches on GeForce. Changing the primary display moves all icons and taskbar to TV, which is not convenient (TV is far from my table), but I use the DisplayFusion tool to duplicate the taskbar to both screens, so it is okay for tests (I am on Windows 7, which does not have double taskbar).

My i7-4930K CPU is still powerful enough, and SE is certainly GPU-bound, so I am able to run two copies of SE on full speed simultaneously. To do this, I run one copy of SE (which is launches on Radeon), minimize it, change the primary display, and run the second copy (which is now launches on GeForce). Here is a screenshot of both desktops with two copies of SE rendering the same starting location. This location is pretty heavy, both GPUs are barely able to make 60 fps. Performance of one SE does not depend on the second one, it has the same ~60 fps no matter that I do, thanks to powerful CPU and parallel work of GPU drivers (and CPU is still at 50% load).

The left screen is GeForce GTX 1060, the right one is Radeon RX 580 with some factory overclocking (Povercolor RX 580 Red Devil), and it is slightly faster than 1060. Load/temperature graph window is MSI Afterburner, on-screen graphs in SE is Riva tuner overlay (it glitches on Radeon, not visible every frame, but it is there). GTX 1060 is slightly hotter than RX 580, but it has much lower TDP - only 120 W compared to 250 W of RX 580 (power graph is the lower one, unfortunately MSI Afterburner can display only GeForce and CPU there). Also Radeon's fans are louder than Geforce's, as usual.
SE on dual GPU.jpg

Sion
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress 0.9.9.0

22 Aug 2018 13:40

My 17 R4 has a 1060. Does that mean my game will just be nominally slower? 

I don't think it would be that big of a deal if it were. the graphics still look utterly insane. 

Macronicus
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.9.9.0

22 Aug 2018 14:49

Wait space engineer, I have a amd graphics card so is it bad for me then?
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress 0.9.9.0

22 Aug 2018 23:34

Space Engineer I have a few questions regarding GPUs and future updates of SE, related to availability of model from AMD and nvidia.

One of the main things I want to know as I plan to upgrade my PC to something high end later in the year or early next year is how will VRAM impact performance when everything is set to maximum settings, LOD to 1 etc...?  That is with the new version/s of SE and not the current pubic one.

I am unsure if the offering by nvidia will have enough VRAM as they have offered the same capacity and at a much higher price on the 20 series just released.  On the other hand I can get Pro series AMD workstation cards at the same price if not cheaper than the 1080Ti here in Australia which also have 32GB of VRAM and similar GPU performance, but they are dual Polaris cards with internal cross fire.

I currently have a heavily overclocked 980 with 4GB and it has stuttering/pausing issues when it saturates the VRAM which it does very easy.  I know a few users here commented that even on the 1080Ti the usage get around 9-10GB which leaves little headroom if this is indeed the case.

I know you mentioned texture compression, but with the update's visual improvements will this negate much of the compression?

So with these questions and the very contrasting offerings from AMD to nvidia it makes the decision for best GPU quite hard. 

Basically.
nvidia consumer grade cards= Fastest, most expensive, least VRAM
AMD prosumer/pro grade cards = Similar-slower, much cheaper, significantly more VRAM.

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress 0.9.9.0

23 Aug 2018 01:27

YAY! I'm happy that AMD will have SE more compatible now  :lol:
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs