Ultimate space simulation software

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

Work progress 0.9.8.1 = 0.9.9.0

22 Nov 2017 14:33

Onox, hi.
In the next version, you'll be able to associate script files with SpaceEngine in Windows Registry. A double click on the script will load SpaceEngine and start the script commands.
I'm not sure if what you ask will be implemented, but when scripts are associated with a program, it's fairly easy in Windows 10 to associate a keyboard shortcut to a file using desktop shortcuts. Here's an explanation.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

Yuno
Observer
Observer

23 Nov 2017 19:24

HarbingerDawn wrote:
Yuno wrote:
Source of the post but obviously keeping the current internal versions handed out to the couple that get pet's treatment is obviously better in their eyes..

There's having valid criticisms and explaining them in a calm and reasonable manner, and then there's insults and condescension. You're firmly on the wrong side of that line.

Yuno wrote:
Source of the post clearly its in a state where it can run & function, to take screenshots, videos etc.

That is hardly a complete list of criteria for determining whether a product is release-ready.

Also, proper text formatting (like capitalization, punctuation, etc.) would go a long way towards getting others to take you seriously, because honestly it's hard to read what you write, and it comes off as a lazy entitled and poorly thought out rage post.

we both know u seen rage posts, & u know that wasnt one. but if u insist on derailing it & going after my "grammar", that shows alot about u right there, ill just leave that alone now.. (& there was no "insults" given but okay)

Tuskin38
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

24 Nov 2017 10:13

Yuno wrote:
Source of the post (& there was no "insults" given but okay)

Calling someone a 'pet' can be insulting.

TheRedstoneHive
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

24 Nov 2017 10:48

Will there be new splash-screens for 0.9.9.0?

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

24 Nov 2017 16:16

For now the same from 0980 are used, but it's easy to add some new images, as long as they are 640x480px jpeg files, exactly like in 0980. I'd say it's fair to assume that some image depicting some nice planet will be added.
A thread regarding splash-screens could be a nice idea.
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

24 Nov 2017 17:08

TheRedstoneHive wrote:
Source of the post Will there be new splash-screens for 0.9.9.0?

Yes, probably all splash screens will be remade, but that is off-topic for this thread.
Ryzen 7 1700 OC to 3.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 980 Ti 6144 MB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Ingolifs
Observer
Observer

25 Nov 2017 21:47

Eliam wrote:
Source of the post The new terrain algorithm is amazing.

I know that this this is a very different technology so that it could not be implemented that easily in SE but I think you could be interested by this video about near-instantaneous terrain generation + erosion from deep learning algorithms trained on actual terrain data.

Hey this is really cool. So to briefly sum up what's going on here, there is no actual simulation of geological processes or erosion, rather the neural network has been trained to produce heightmaps that look like actual terrain. One of the key features of neural networks is that they're highly parallelisable - allowing the computation to be offloaded to the GPU. 
This means there is no fundamental computational limitation to having such terrain generation in SE. Getting it to generate convincing non-earth terrain, however, would be a bit trickier and would need someone dedicated to do it. 

Eliam
Observer
Observer

26 Nov 2017 08:34

Ingolifs wrote:
Eliam wrote:
Source of the post The new terrain algorithm is amazing.

I know that this this is a very different technology so that it could not be implemented that easily in SE but I think you could be interested by this video about near-instantaneous terrain generation + erosion from deep learning algorithms trained on actual terrain data.

Hey this is really cool. So to briefly sum up what's going on here, there is no actual simulation of geological processes or erosion, rather the neural network has been trained to produce heightmaps that look like actual terrain. One of the key features of neural networks is that they're highly parallelisable - allowing the computation to be offloaded to the GPU. 
This means there is no fundamental computational limitation to having such terrain generation in SE. Getting it to generate convincing non-earth terrain, however, would be a bit trickier and would need someone dedicated to do it. 

We have pretty high definition heightmap data for Mars and Moon so I guess it could be trained in the same way but indeed it would be hard to generate really exotic terrain. The presentation video of the paper by the author indicates that there's a partnership with Ubisoft so I guess the aim is to use it for games (and from Star Citizen terrain generation example videos I was already suspecting them to use a similar strategy).

I guess this kind of strategy can be coupled with procedural generation. For example if a procedural sketch of mountain ranges and rivers is used by the terrain generation algorithm.

FastFourierTransform
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

26 Nov 2017 08:51

Also 5 years ago there was this more primitive, way but stillmind boggling, way of editing terrains in real-time in a very realistic manner:

Eliam
Observer
Observer

26 Nov 2017 09:26

Indeed, FFT. All of this was in the Proland C++/OpenGL library (link here ), that sadly stopped to be developed. Among other they proposed a way to animate rivers in real-time

aFinapple
Observer
Observer

26 Nov 2017 15:40

This is probably a stupid question, is 20 Nov. 2017 the release date or when this was last updated...

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

26 Nov 2017 16:02

aFinapple wrote:
This is probably a stupid question, is 20 Nov. 2017 the release date or when this was last updated...

This is just a log of what features SpaceEngineer is currently developing.

Cesare
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

03 Dec 2017 22:31

The level of detail for terrain updates are progressing well but there is still not enough details for terrain. For example green grass should look like real grass on the Earth.

When is the next terrain update?
Cesare Vesdani

Solaris_
Observer
Observer

04 Dec 2017 02:24

Cesare wrote:
Source of the post When is the next terrain update?

SpaceEngineer will probably answer WIP if the News blog aren't updated,  the update will aways come when it's ready.
I'm always ready to see news,regardless what is it.

Sion
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

05 Dec 2017 10:48

Just curious: will specific textures have 3d models (eg: individual rocks) also, is the transition between textures going to be smooth?