Ultimate space simulation software

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Jul 2017 13:41

Idea about new info table (photoshop mokeup):

Info table becomes a window, which is fully transparent (invisible) in normal mode, showing only text, but appears when user hover mouse cursor over it. It could have an expand/collapse buttons, to show more/less detailed description of a selected object, it also could have a close button (and a button on the left-size toolbar to bring it back). Or maybe it could behave like a second left-side toolbar, showing itself when mouse cursor is near the upper-left side of the screen; could be "pinned" to be always visible.

Very old idea - add a tiny switch button next to each measure unit, which will appear when user hover mouse cursor over it. Pressing on it will switch parsecs to light years, Kelvins to Celsius to Fahrenheit, and so on.

I also experimented with typing the planet class name on the Solar System browser, but found it too messy (too much text, visually overloaded).
IMO, the new table looks ugly, the current one gives the opportunity of just looking at it instead of hovering the mouse, not disturbing the gameplay. A solution is that you could put different options for this Info display, ln a way where the player could choose between the current info GUI, or the new one. Also, having the ability to change colors for both would be nice. But the "switch" units it's a pretty cool idea.
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Jul 2017 16:02

the current one gives the opportunity of just looking at it instead of hovering the mouse, not disturbing the gameplay.
I didn't said that INFO TEXT will be invisible until you hover mouse over it. I said this about the WINDOW BORDERS and BUTTONS on it.

Dr. Kaii
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Jul 2017 16:52

new into mokeup.png

Info table becomes a window, which is fully transparent (invisible) in normal mode, showing only text, but appears when user hover mouse cursor over it. It could have an expand/collapse buttons, to show more/less detailed description of a selected object, it also could have a close button (and a button on the left-size toolbar to bring it back). Or maybe it could behave like a second left-side toolbar, showing itself when mouse cursor is near the upper-left side of the screen; could be "pinned" to be always visible.

Very old idea - add a tiny switch button next to each measure unit, which will appear when user hover mouse cursor over it. Pressing on it will switch parsecs to light years, Kelvins to Celsius to Fahrenheit, and so on.

I also experimented with typing the planet class name on the Solar System browser, but found it too messy (too much text, visually overloaded).
Hi looks amazing, much needed!
Please remember to stop the fading info in VR and if possible give us the choice of light seconds in all situations (for Elite fans :))
i9 9900K - 5.0MHz, Palit 2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, Vive Pro

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Jul 2017 17:38

Nice idea.
Maybe for the solar system browser, user can choose if he want to see diameter, class or pressure (or other).
► Information

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Jul 2017 20:14

I didn't said that INFO TEXT will be invisible until you hover mouse over it. I said this about the WINDOW BORDERS and BUTTONS on it.
Oh, dang it.
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

28 Jul 2017 03:25

new into mokeup.png

Yeah! I remember an old video of info-table redesign for SpaceEngine, you can eventually take inspiration from it:

[youtube]tlinVp7FQwo[/youtube]
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

28 Jul 2017 06:00

Please remember to stop the fading info in VR
Why? It obscures view.

Dr. Kaii
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

28 Jul 2017 08:22

Please remember to stop the fading info in VR
Why? It obscures view.
True, that's a problem, but it fading creates a different problem. Sometimes I am studying it and it just fades. For example I want to watch the distance or apparent magnitude as I move, or I am reading through all the stats but it fades before I can get to the end. Maybe let us be able to pin it? Or something. If we really want it to go, we can just press the "turn off interface" button so I don't think fading is necessary
i9 9900K - 5.0MHz, Palit 2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, Vive Pro

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

28 Jul 2017 10:34

True, that's a problem, but it fading creates a different problem. Sometimes I am studying it and it just fades. For example I want to watch the distance or apparent magnitude as I move, or I am reading through all the stats but it fades before I can get to the end. Maybe let us be able to pin it? Or something. If we really want it to go, we can just press the "turn off interface" button so I don't think fading is necessary
Better option for VR is attaching all interface to controllers. By pressing some button you will see a "info hologram" near the controller. I think this is the best option. Old style info near the planet will be used for compatibility with VR helmets with no controller (Oculus does not shipped with them by default).

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

28 Jul 2017 11:02

I actually prefer using my Vive without the controllers for SE.
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

Quadro
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

28 Jul 2017 11:03

Better option for VR is attaching all interface to controllers. By pressing some button you will see a "info hologram" near the controller. I think this is the best option.
Something like Tilt Brush, I suppose?
Too many words.
Too little sense.

Zymoox
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 08:39

I apologize in advance if this is off-topic or has been answered previously:
Regarding to the golden/orang-ish "strains" on selenas, I was told they were probably a graphical glitch.
Do you know whether it will be fixed in the upcomimg version?

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 10:53

Regarding to the golden/orang-ish "strains" on selenas, I was told they were probably a graphical glitch.
What do you mean? Orange palette is a representation of Io-like sulfur moons. Brownish spots are dark organic deposits.

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 10:59

What do you mean? Orange palette is a representation of Io-like sulfur moons. Brownish spots are dark organic deposits.
Have an example? I've never seen a volcanic selena. ;p

Zymoox
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 14:04

For example, taken from procedural selenas on different types of stars:
► Show Spoiler
On February, I posted a question asking whether those "marks" were intentional or just a glitch, as at the time I had been looking for moon-like selenas (which would be completely grey, hence lacking those orange marks), but every single selena-type object I found had them. (http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=168)
However, as you said (along with several people on the topic linked above, whose answer I just noticed), those are in fact sulfur deposits and thus intentional. 
Therefore, is there a possibility to see stain-lacking selenas on the upcoming version (or even later on)?