Free planetarium

TheRedstoneHive
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

22 Sep 2017 13:09

ZackG wrote:
TheRedstoneHive wrote:
I've heard that the Duke nebulae will not be coming in 0.981, and just 3D clouds, is this true?

Where did you hear that from?

The Discord server.

Fireinthehole wrote wrote:
TheRedstoneHive wrote wrote:
I've heard that the Duke nebulae will not be coming in 0.981, and just 3D clouds, is this true?

I believe it's the other way around.

That would make sense because they are in some of the beta builds.
Last edited by TheRedstoneHive on 22 Sep 2017 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Kaii
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

24 Sep 2017 00:32

Yes, I seriously think we should be discussing the fact that we are getting higher level of detail textures. I mean, WOW
i7 7700K - 4.7MHz, Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 HerculeZ Twin X2 8192MB, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, CV1 + Oculus Touch

Julian
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

25 Sep 2017 08:57

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post Planet texture generator must produce some sort of a mask texture, which will define where to place pebbles, where sand, where grass. These textures will be generated in addition to the elevation/normal and color/specular textures, thus increasing memory load by 33%.

Is your work on detail textures intended to be used on procedural planets, or planets with bitmapped textures? If you’re going to add procedural detail to bitmapped planets in the future, then every bitmapped planet probably needs to have a mask texture added to it anyway. Were you thinking that the mask texture’s red, green and blue channels could be used to represent sand, grass and pebbles (for example) respectively? Could you use the alpha channel for water, so that we can get bodies of water above sea level? But then what would the program be rendering if the sand, grass, pebbles and water values were all maximum in the same place?

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

26 Sep 2017 10:18

Continuing work on planet atmosphere and hydrosphere chemistry:
http://spaceengine.org/news/blog170926/

Spacer
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

26 Sep 2017 10:40

awesome!! this new hydrosphere sounds great! and for someone that study chemistry right now like myself this is very great tool to use and imagine such hydrospheres in real life.  :)
"Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

Dr. Kaii
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

26 Sep 2017 10:57

SpaceEngineer wrote:

fantastic, really looks like a dream come true. 
out of interest, is the science there to calculate atmosphere colours based on chemistry? If so, will you be adding that soon?
i7 7700K - 4.7MHz, Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 HerculeZ Twin X2 8192MB, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, CV1 + Oculus Touch

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

26 Sep 2017 11:55

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post Continuing work on planet atmosphere and hydrosphere chemistry:

It's too much progress in one week. What happened, an alien gifted you with superpowers?
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

26 Sep 2017 12:08

ARBB, lots of this stuff has been in the works for a bit longer than a week, it's just in a more presentable state now. 
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

26 Sep 2017 12:08

ARBB wrote:
Source of the post It's too much progress in one week. What happened, an alien gifted you with superpowers?

No, I was too lazy to write the previous blog post two weeks ago. I did it yesterday :)

Ahhhr, ninjad by Doc :)

Quarior
Explorer
Explorer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

26 Sep 2017 12:17

Oh nice work and you made climate (for atmosphere and water for this moment).

For the water, color is like with the composition ?

And for the sea like the Earth explain with the water is no "spheric", maybe you do considerate the RotationPeriod (if the planet have a low RotationPeriod, the water go to the pole) and tidal force like the Moon for tide but I think is very complicate for code this.

Also for your road, good luck because there are many work.

Have a nice day.

N0B0DY
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

26 Sep 2017 13:17

SpaceEngineer wrote:

Oh my God! This is so much work! Space Engineer you have opened the Pandora's box!
No I mean in the good sense! I am only sorry for you because now the complexity of the program has increased exponentially..
Anyway this is great news! I only have one comment / suggestion to make regarding planet atmosphere generation:
Now some planets with high g's have very dense atmospheres at their surface level but, at higher altitudes, the atmosphere is getting very thin, very fast. What I mean is that you can practically stay in orbit around such worlds at ~15-20km altitude because the air pressure at this altitude is practically zero whereas on their surface it can be thousands if not hundreds of thousands of atms.
I can understand that the high gravity may be "compressing" (sorry can't find any appropriate scientific term for that) the air molecules towards the surface thereby increasing the pressure tremendously at the surface level and causing very high gradient reduction of pressure as altitude from surface increases. But still it feels absurd to be able to orbit such worlds at almost contact altitude.
Similarly at relatively lower g worlds the atmosphere may rise very high above the surface. So you may find worlds with 0.3 gs for example with atmospheric heights above 200 kms. And with surface atmosphere pressure not exceeding 0.01 atm.
So is this new chemical model taking into account this issue? or at least reduces the intensity of it?
Sorry for long post - I am just very excited for this release.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

26 Sep 2017 16:47

Quarior wrote:
Source of the post For the water, color is like with the composition ?

I didn't worked on textures yet, as I had explain in the post.

Quarior wrote:
Source of the post And for the sea like the Earth explain with the water is no "spheric", maybe you do considerate the RotationPeriod (if the planet have a low RotationPeriod, the water go to the pole) and tidal force like the Moon for tide but I think is very complicate for code this.

You are asking about completely different work, unrelated to the ocean chemistry.

N0B0DY wrote:
Source of the post So is this new chemical model taking into account this issue? or at least reduces the intensity of it?

This is not related to chemistry, it's a simple physics. SE calculates height of the atmosphere using something similar to the barometric formula. It was in 0.980 and earlier, since the beginning.

Retsof
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

26 Sep 2017 17:29

Wow.  All this variety is going to make exploring much more fun!

N0B0DY
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 00:06

SpaceEngineer wrote:

N0B0DY wrote:
Source of the post So is this new chemical model taking into account this issue? or at least reduces the intensity of it?

This is not related to chemistry, it's a simple physics. SE calculates height of the atmosphere using something similar to the barometric formula. It was in 0.980 and earlier, since the beginning.

Ah ok but is it normal for high g worlds to have such a rapid reduction of atmospheric pressure with altitude? It still seems a bit strange to reach near space at such low altitudes.

SFM Videos
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 02:46

spaceguy wrote:
DeathStar wrote:
SFM Videos wrote:
Source of the post One question: When SE 0.9.8.1 will BW realased?

Sorry if i annoy you i'm kid and i'am curious

There is never a set release date, it would put pressure on SpaceEngineer, and there wouldn't really be much of a reason for it anyway. I'd personally say that there's still at least several months until release even becomes an option - a lot of the new major features in 0.9.8.1 still aren't completely done(namely procedural raymarched nebulae and the new planetary classification/generation system). 

I've heard some users apart of the development team say that the new update will most likely be coming out this year. So that's like 1-2 months more months left. I could be wrong of course, but I'm optimistic. :)

Ok