Free planetarium

catvanbrian
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

04 Aug 2017 19:45

plus are bio-organic planet/moon (Astronomical object that is made of the same materials that make a living thing put) possible 

Julian
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

05 Aug 2017 00:58

catvanbrian wrote:
does starlight play a part in atmospheric color

Yes, see this link for instance.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

05 Aug 2017 03:07

JCandeias wrote:
Source of the post I don't know what kind of particles (short of aereal phytopolankton, I guess) could turn an atmosphere green, for instance.

Green also could be a chlorine :)
Pink hue is made by methane absorption lines in spectra, it is a prediction of color of a T-dwarfs and warm gas giants.
Yellow/red is hydrocarbons/dust, as like on Titan and Mars.

catvanbrian wrote:
Source of the post does starlight play a part in atmospheric color

Yes, but just multiplicatively. Ie if atmosphere where white, and illuminated by a red star, it becomes red.

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

05 Aug 2017 06:29

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post Green also could be a chlorine :)
Pink hue is made by methane absorption lines in spectra, it is a prediction of color of a T-dwarfs and warm gas giants.

Athmospheric chemistry is a hugely complicated mess, because adding to every compound that can be a part of it either in gaseous form or in particulate form, there's also layering. Chlorine gas, for instance, is significantly heavier than oxygen or nitrogen and also heavier than CO2, which means that unless it's pure (and it's very unlikely to be pure because the elemental abundances favor lighter elements), it should concentrate at the bottom of the atmosphere, probably generating a thickly hazy and greenish layer, although this would probably be further changed with the impact of different temperatures, leading to selective condensation or evaporation. It's all pretty complicated, it's all subject to active scientific research, and therefore I guess SE can't dive deeply into it.

However, I do think SE needs to do a better job explaining the atmospheric colours it shows. Info about hazes or suspended particles needs to be added to the basic atmospheric composition info. Otherwise I'm afraid the program would be contributing to the misconception mentioned in this thread.

And perhaps show more blue skies than it does now, making other colours rarer. After all, we live in a solar system where 4 of the 9 worlds with visible atmospheres have blue skies and all the others have them down to a certain depth, where hazes and dust begins to take over. Blue should be more prevalent in the Space Engine universe, methinks.

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

05 Aug 2017 07:04

JCandeias wrote:
Source of the post Blue should be more prevalent in the Space Engine universe, methinks.

Blue is my favorite color so me agree. ;3

Duke
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

06 Aug 2017 05:47

ARBB wrote:
Duke wrote:
Source of the post  Also I saw Silviu's work. It was made on DirectX and it hasn't been published anywhere yet.

He posted it on his blog. Do you mean, the actual download for the engine?

Yes.

catvanbrian
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

06 Aug 2017 05:58

wait ray-marched Galaxy/nebula (WIP) how much of a work in progress?

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

07 Aug 2017 15:43

Past week (and weekend) I had working on implementing a precise planet and moons ephemerides. Today lunar eclipse:

scr00791.jpg

I will make a blog post with details after completing this system.

Quarior
Explorer
Explorer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

07 Aug 2017 16:29

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Past week (and weekend) I had working on implementing a precise planet and moons ephemerides. Today lunar eclipse:

Nice :)

scruffygamer
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

07 Aug 2017 22:14

I just have to say: HarbingerDawn and SpaceEngineer, you guys are awesome!

You are developing amazing things in this game. 
Just someone.

scruffygamer
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

07 Aug 2017 22:15

^ And the rest of the developers!
Just someone.

Maurício Cruz
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

08 Aug 2017 17:39

Ooooohh, very ok, I need it to preview when's happen any eclipses... Thank very much...
Pluto taught us at least how creative the universe could be (DOCUMENTARY)

Teterrimo
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

08 Aug 2017 20:23

I hope that the accurateness of planet's orbits will be implemented before 21th August ;) Great job as always

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

09 Aug 2017 11:14

JCandeias wrote:
SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post Green also could be a chlorine :)

Athmospheric chemistry is a hugely complicated mess, because adding to every compound that can be a part of it either in gaseous form or in particulate form, there's also layering. Chlorine gas, for instance, is significantly heavier than oxygen or nitrogen and also heavier than CO2, which means that unless it's pure (and it's very unlikely to be pure because the elemental abundances favor lighter elements), it should concentrate at the bottom of the atmosphere, probably generating a thickly hazy and greenish layer, although this would probably be further changed with the impact of different temperatures, leading to selective condensation or evaporation. It's all pretty complicated, it's all subject to active scientific research, and therefore I guess SE can't dive deeply into it.

However, I do think SE needs to do a better job explaining the atmospheric colours it shows. Info about hazes or suspended particles needs to be added to the basic atmospheric composition info. Otherwise I'm afraid the program would be contributing to the misconception mentioned in this thread.

And perhaps show more blue skies than it does now, making other colours rarer. After all, we live in a solar system where 4 of the 9 worlds with visible atmospheres have blue skies and all the others have them down to a certain depth, where hazes and dust begins to take over. Blue should be more prevalent in the Space Engine universe, methinks.

I'm not so sure.  The color of the sky should depend on the color of the parent star(s).

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

09 Aug 2017 11:16

SpaceEngineer wrote:

scr00791.jpg

SE will I be able to input lat and long and use the program like a true planetarium program like Stellarium or Starry Night?  In other words be able to see the stars just as I see them at a specific point in time, accurate sunrises and sunsets, moonrises and moonsets, moon phases and proper positions based on my location?