Ultimate space simulation software

Sion
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 06:54

I'm just curious for what impact this is going to have on finding earth-like planets, as that's what I do myself on space engine

ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 07:19

Continuing work on planet atmosphere and hydrosphere chemistry:
http://spaceengine.org/news/blog170926/
Great job!!
I'm just curious for what impact this is going to have on finding earth-like planets, as that's what I do myself on space engine
so am I.
Spaceengineer have you investigated and can you give us an approximation of how rare are planets with breathable atmosphere?

Cosmic_Dreams
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 11:39

Haven't been this excited since pre-No Man's Sky, though in this case I can be sure it will actually live up to personal hype. I can't wait to find some of these exotic terras with life and strange non-water oceans and pretend what that life may be like on one of its counterparts in the real universe. I can't wait to get lost in this.

Cosmic_Dreams
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 11:46

When I was a child I would, in my dejection, not dare dream of ever seeing the stars up close, now thanks to you Romanyuk, I can without even having to leave my room. I can never thank you enough for Space Engine.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 14:17

Great job!!
so am I.
Spaceengineer have you investigated and can you give us an approximation of how rare are planets with breathable atmosphere?
Maybe in some future edition we can see tweaking the Drake equation added to the program so each user can tweak the SE universe on their own to have as many "habitable" worlds as they think is likely or possible.

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 14:55

Earth-like planets will be exceedingly rare due to this new algorithm. 

MineCrafter473
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 15:23

Vladimir, any idea how much this will be when its released to steam?
CPU:Intel core i7 8700k @ 3.8Ghz
RAM:16gb ddr4-3000
GPU:RTX 2080 8gb vram
STORAGE:Samsung 512gb 970 pro m.2 ssd, 1tb ssd

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 15:40

But is this how it really is?  From what we read in science news stories earth-like planets are being found right and left! (and multiple ones in the same solar system!)

XBrain130
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 15:49

But is this how it really is?  From what we read in science news stories earth-like planets are being found right and left! (and multiple ones in the same solar system!)
Physically Earth-like ≠ habitable
SpaceEngine's Italian Discord server: https://discord.gg/NhQbEbC

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 15:55

Is the ESI index for habitability or for being earth-like?

XBrain130
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 16:21

ESI = Earth Similarity Index. It has nothing to do with habitability, actually.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Similarity_Index
SpaceEngine's Italian Discord server: https://discord.gg/NhQbEbC

Stellar Wisp
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 16:35

Cosmic dreams, sounds like we think a lot alike. I am indeed grateful to the creator of this wonder, this marvel of unbound exploration, which I had long dreaded of as a child.   Before my eyes would widen to see the few pieces of art concerning extraterrestrial worlds. Now those planets surfaces match those depictions in in the complexity of detail variations, and the and the quality of the procedural formulas themselves is as if a painter had created them .

Stellar Wisp
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 16:38

*It is supposed to say "long dreamed of", it must have auto "corrected" and made my post sound contradicting.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 16:44

ESI = Earth Similarity Index. It has nothing to do with habitability, actually.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Similarity_Index
But habitability is only based on our experiences correct?  Exotic organisms might not be like anything like we are aware of, so I don't believe habitability can be judged with a sample size of 1.

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Sep 2017 18:57

"Earth-like" in news stories on exoplanets only means that the planets have near-earth diameters (usually, since the most prolific method of detection is transits and those detect diameters; much more rarely, masses are also known) and theoretical temperatures. Nothing else. The vast majority of those planets should be nothing like the Earth. To illustrate it, an ET watching our Solar System from afar would deem not only the Earth but also Venus and Mars Earth-like (Mars only marginally so). Yet, Mars is a cold lifeless desert and Venus is a superhot lifeless greenhouse of a desert.
My addons are to be found at JCandeias' Ships

Current count: 2