Ultimate space simulation software

SCP-10492
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress 0.990

18 May 2019 20:29

Now SE has a large number of users, we are very looking forward to 0.990, will be on the shelf for the first time to buy. SE can also be seen on various websites, which I think will increase the popularity of SE.

My old laptop system is 32-bit Windows 7, and it runs SE 0.980, but I don't use it anymore. In 2019, not many people use 32-bit Windows, and compared with these Windows users, SE users are very few, so developers need not worry about not supporting 32-bit operating systems.

(machine translation)
Does anybody really look at this?

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress 0.990

18 May 2019 21:08

Great news!

I doubt there is any meaningful 32bit users out there, even my retro PC from 2003 runs a 64bit OS and some 64 bit programs.

I would end 32bit support if it was me.

Nahor
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress 0.990

18 May 2019 21:47

SFGameZ64 wrote:
Steam is one of the most popular game launching platforms there is. [...] After seeing videos and screenshots from inside the engine itself, new and old users will know that it is worth the money. 

Some people have complained about the use of Steam and even more have complained about the new price. Some of them won't use SE anymore because of that. A switch to 64-bit will cause a few more people to drop off. But my point was that the number of people lost to 64-bit would be a drop in the bucket compared to the ones lost because of Steam and the new price.

Personally I think those changes are a good thing despite the cost to the community. Those features (or non-features depending on the view point) should allow SE to grow more and gain more people and more than offset the losses.

SCP-10492
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress 0.990

19 May 2019 02:58

Steam is one of the most popular game platforms in the world. When Steam is on the shelf, SE can add a demo version and a license, which can restrict functions (e.g. time limits) and release old versions for free download on the official website, just like the current download page on the official website.

Adding a restriction function will also increase the workload, but it will be good for SpaceEngine to release on steam. If new users don't want to spend money, they can experience SE for free. When it's time, they can choose to buy SE, which will jump to the purchase page of SpaceEngine in the steam store.

Operating system is not a problem, 32-bit Windows users can still use the free old version.

Gallego
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

19 May 2019 04:05

Space engine was previously advertised in greenlight, but since it closed does not appear in the store, does anyone know if its still announced by Steam?

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

19 May 2019 04:46

HarbingerDawn wrote:

Great news!
Nahor wrote:
SFGameZ64 wrote:
SFGameZ64:Steam is one of the most popular game launching platforms there is. [...] After seeing videos and screenshots from inside the engine itself, new and old users will know that it is worth the money.

Some people have complained about the use of Steam and even more have complained about the new price. Some of them won't use SE anymore because of that. A switch to 64-bit will cause a few more people to drop off. But my point was that the number of people lost to 64-bit would be a drop in the bucket compared to the ones lost because of Steam and the new price.

Personally I think those changes are a good thing despite the cost to the community. Those features (or non-features depending on the view point) should allow SE to grow more and gain more people and more than offset the losses.

I think going 64bit is a wise move and will actually increase the number of SE users in the long term. It furthermore warrants its price and its value as a pro application IMHO. Personally I don't like Steam but it is a wise choice to use it for its debut in the commercial world. In the future I hope we may be able to purchase it as an independent application from the SE site.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

19 May 2019 05:11

Gallego wrote:
Space engine was previously advertised in greenlight, but since it closed does not appear in the store, does anyone know if its still announced by Steam?

It's there, it doesn't appear in the store because it's not public yet.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

SFGameZ64
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress 0.990

19 May 2019 05:54

Nahor wrote:

I agree with that. It is a shame some people will not be able to use the new version because they don't have/like Steam, and I wish that everyone would be able to pay for it, but in the long run it is better for exposure and usability. 
Better known as Seth Fusion
A little generator I made - http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=27881#p27881

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

Work progress 0.990

19 May 2019 20:51

HarbingerDawn wrote:
Source of the post If you don't like that, then maybe I shouldn't mention that the Venus map is entirely made from radar images...

Heh, yeah I know about that too. Defintely a thorn in the side of realism. I hope we can make a visible spectrum map one day.
Futurum Fusionem

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

20 May 2019 00:59

Stellarator wrote:
Source of the post  Defintely a thorn in the side of realism.

How? Radar and LIDAR are perfectly fine for mapping out height data of Earth

In what way is this inaccurate? How would a radar map be inaccurate on other planets?

LIDAR map provided by Watsisname

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/lidar#current-projects

Radar and LIDAR don't add detail that isn't there. If you mean color data, it probably wouldn't matter much for either Venus or Titan much, might be possible to make fake color maps as well.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Work progress 0.990

20 May 2019 01:32

Stellarator wrote:
Source of the post Defintely a thorn in the side of realism. I hope we can make a visible spectrum map one day.

We'll get right on that.  That is, after we procure enough funding for a mission to image the entire surface of Titan and/or Venus from a drone flying beneath the haze layers.  Speaking of which, we are currently taking donations!

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress 0.990

20 May 2019 06:02

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Source of the post How? Radar and LIDAR are perfectly fine for mapping out height data of Earth

He's talking about diffuse textures, not height.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress 0.990

20 May 2019 06:16

Watsisname wrote:
Speaking of which, we are currently taking donations!

I would like to donate, I second the idea.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

SCP-10492
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress 0.990

20 May 2019 06:42

Actually, if you say so much, you might as well publish it in a steam store now.

stongduke
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress 0.990

20 May 2019 07:51

SCP-10492 wrote:
Actually, if you say so much, you might as well publish it in a steam store now.

You mean making it available for pre-order?
Can I have an order of uhhh randomly generated city lights?