Ultimate space simulation software

Messier
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress 0.990

23 Apr 2019 07:37

SpaceEngineer wrote:
stongduke wrote:
Source of the post Pfft, you asking for volumetric clouds or something? Didn't SpaceEngineer say that those weren't gonna happen?

I didn't said that.

I recall you only saying that they'd be extremely difficult, not that it wasn't going to happen.
The only Astrogriff

stongduke
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress 0.990

24 Apr 2019 08:50

SpaceEngineer wrote:
stongduke wrote:
Source of the post Pfft, you asking for volumetric clouds or something? Didn't SpaceEngineer say that those weren't gonna happen?

I didn't said that.

Fair enough, sorry about that. I just remember you saying something along the lines of them being incredibly difficult. If you could get them in though, I'd eat my hat. That'd be amazing! Perhaps a 1.0 feature? Anyhow this is getting off topic. I've been hesitant to post because I think we should turn the discussion back towards 0.9.9.0 specific things.
Can I have an order of uhhh randomly generated city lights?

Messier
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress 0.990

24 Apr 2019 23:28

I wonder. With stellar remnants now available within some these new fandangled nebulae, would they have planets, too?
The only Astrogriff

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress 0.990

26 Apr 2019 01:43

Messier wrote:
Source of the post I wonder. With stellar remnants now available within some these new fandangled nebulae, would they have planets, too?

Yes. First discovered planets was discovered near a neutron star! This was surprising. They hypothesized to be a second-generation planets, formed from debris disk around the dead star.

Messier
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress 0.990

27 Apr 2019 12:58

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Messier wrote:
Source of the post I wonder. With stellar remnants now available within some these new fandangled nebulae, would they have planets, too?

Yes. First discovered planets was discovered near a neutron star! This was surprising. They hypothesized to be a second-generation planets, formed from debris disk around the dead star.

Those planets were rocky too, right? Anyway, this whole thing just sounds awesome.
The only Astrogriff

KaRRyer
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

28 Apr 2019 07:29

Can we have a status for the progress of 0.990 ?
N= R∗ × fp​ × ne × fl × fi × fc × L

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress 0.990

28 Apr 2019 07:53

KaRRyer wrote:
Source of the post Can we have a status for the progress of 0.990 ?

Working on Solar system textures. Cubemap tool was updated to support SE 0.990 texture format (256x256, with 2 pixel-wide border inside the tile). It also was made 64-bit and multithreaded, to speedup conversion process. Some textures, for which I have source. are converted directly, some updated/patched to fix problems, some was merged back from tiles and converted again. Some textures was replaced with better ones. This process is not quick, I already spent 3 weeks on it. So far, Saturn satellites, Triton and Pluto system are left:

sst.png

As a bonus, I ported SpaceEngine to x64 - this was surprisingly easy, because I developed the code from the beginning in a right manner, keeping in mind future porting. In fact, I spent one evening on recompiling third-party libraries to x64, and one-two days fixing issues in SE. So now SE is not limited by 4 GB of RAM, bur is able to use any amount, available in the system (and even more, because Windows features "virtual memory"). Beta testers successfully pushed it to limits, by rendering screenshots with millions of stars: SE occupied up to 30 GB of RAM in these experiments, and still not crash.

stongduke
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress 0.990

28 Apr 2019 10:44

SpaceEngineer wrote:
KaRRyer wrote:

Working on Solar system textures. Cubemap tool was updated to support SE 0.990 texture format (256x256, with 2 pixel-wide border inside the tile). It also was made 64-bit and multithreaded, to speedup conversion process. Some textures, for which I have source. are converted directly, some updated/patched to fix problems, some was merged back from tiles and converted again. Some textures was replaced with better ones. This process is not quick, I already spent 3 weeks on it. So far, Saturn satellites, Triton and Pluto system are left:

sst.png

As a bonus, I ported SpaceEngine to x64 - this was surprisingly easy, because I developed the code from the beginning in a right manner, keeping in mind future porting. In fact, I spent one evening on recompiling third-party libraries to x64, and one-two days fixing issues in SE. So now SE is not limited by 4 GB of RAM, bur is able to use any amount, available in the system (and even more, because Windows features "virtual memory"). Beta testers successfully pushed it to limits, by rendering screenshots with millions of stars: SE occupied up to 30 GB of RAM in these experiments, and still not crash.

Well fiddle me spoons, x64? That's great! Thanks for sharing progress. I love it.
Can I have an order of uhhh randomly generated city lights?

Macronicus
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

28 Apr 2019 10:56

SpaceEngineer wrote:
KaRRyer wrote:

sst.png

That gives me hope
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress 0.990

30 Apr 2019 03:07

Great to here about the x64 porting and ram limitations lifted.  I can't wait to try render all those stars.

I was often crashing 0.980e because of too many stars.

KaRRyer
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

30 Apr 2019 05:04

[quote="SpaceEngineer"][quote="KaRRyer"][post]28584[/post] Can we have a status for the progress of 0.990 ?[/quote]

sst.png

As a bonus, I ported SpaceEngine to x64 - this was surprisingly easy, because I developed the code from the beginning in a right manner, keeping in mind future porting. In fact, I spent one evening on recompiling third-party libraries to x64, and one-two days fixing issues in SE. So now SE is not limited by 4 GB of RAM, bur is able to use any amount, available in the system (and even more, because Windows features "virtual memory"). Beta testers successfully pushed it to limits, by rendering screenshots with millions of stars: SE occupied up to 30 GB of RAM in these experiments, and still not crash.[/quote]

Thanks for this answer SpaceEngineer, This a good work ! Take your time for this :) quality is better than quantity
N= R∗ × fp​ × ne × fl × fi × fc × L

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

30 Apr 2019 16:17

Thats awesome that it can be used in x64, would that be a separate installer file?  Also can we set a hard limit on how much RAM we will let SE use?  I have 16 GB of RAM and I want to dedicate 8 GB of RAM to it.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress 0.990

01 May 2019 08:24

Installer is not needed, SE will be installed by Steam.
And yes, there is a paaemeter in the config which limits RAM usage.

Macronicus
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

01 May 2019 08:54

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Installer is not needed, SE will be installed by Steam.
And yes, there is a paaemeter in the config which limits RAM usage.

So better performance? Unless I get a gaming laptop.
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

01 May 2019 09:14

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post As a bonus, I ported SpaceEngine to x64 - this was surprisingly easy, because I developed the code from the beginning in a right manner, keeping in mind future porting. In fact, I spent one evening on recompiling third-party libraries to x64, and one-two days fixing issues in SE. So now SE is not limited by 4 GB of RAM

super bonus!!! :-D