Ultimate space simulation software

Zoliparia
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

19 Feb 2019 21:06

I just want to be able to take screenshots to use as a wallpaper on my own computer. Now i'll have to pay extra just to be able to do that without having the wallpaper include the UI.

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress 0.990

19 Feb 2019 23:52

HarbingerDawn wrote:
Salvo wrote:
Source of the post HarbingerDawn, what about textures that have been exported from the old SE? Do they become illegal or just those who have been created after the release of version 0.990?

The license has not changed, the restrictions and permissions are the same in 0.990 as in 0.980.

I asked the permission to Vladimir very long ago, I used some texture of planets in Unity. Eventually I might consider buying the pro DLC  :)
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

19 Feb 2019 23:56

Salvo wrote:
HarbingerDawn wrote:
Salvo wrote:
Source of the post HarbingerDawn, what about textures that have been exported from the old SE? Do they become illegal or just those who have been created after the release of version 0.990?

The license has not changed, the restrictions and permissions are the same in 0.990 as in 0.980.

I asked the permission to Vladimir very long ago, I used some texture of planets in Unity. Eventually I might consider buying the pro DLC  :)

I wonder why it's called pro DLC instead of just Pro?  You could have a Pro vs Standard version the same way Starry Night does and have a multitiered product range.  Incidentally I have Starry Night Pro Plus so I'd probably want to get a fully featured product, I just need to know if I'll need to download the application to make the purchase or if I can directly purchase from a website link from my browser.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

20 Feb 2019 00:53

Zoliparia wrote:
I just want to be able to take screenshots to use as a wallpaper on my own computer. Now i'll have to pay extra just to be able to do that without having the wallpaper include the UI.

Wait what?? Where did you read that?
Screenshots with transparency are not what you think they are, apparently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparency_(graphic)
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

20 Feb 2019 00:57

Zoliparia wrote:

I don't think that would be the case, correct me someone from SE Team if I am wrong.
On a somewhat related note: If someone purchased the standard version, can they upgrade to the Pro version by paying only the difference, i.e. effectively upgrading from standard to Pro?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

20 Feb 2019 01:13

As far as I know, a DLC it's like an addon, or a patch, not an entirely different program. It needs the base program to work so you literally have to purchase the standard version first.
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

illicitSoul
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

20 Feb 2019 01:37

I'm curious if steam release will have Nvidia Ansel? To my mind, it would be amazing to shot screenshots at upscaled resolution provided by this tool.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

20 Feb 2019 05:07

SpaceEngine is based on OpenGL API, not DirectX. From what I see, Nvidia Ansel doesn't work with OpenGL programs.

catvanbrian2
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

20 Feb 2019 09:26

so the standard version is free?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

20 Feb 2019 09:57

No catvanbrian2, standard version of SpaceEngine 0990 on Steam will not be free. As I said a couple of posts before, you have to purchase it.

ipagewebsite
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

20 Feb 2019 10:25

[quote="DoctorOfSpace"][quote="ipagewebsite"][post]27104[/post] To make videos for youtube do I need the Pro version?[/quote]
Only if you plan to monetize[/quote]

I'm sorry! But Youtube is very naughty about copyright. How will he know who Pro is and who is not? It will block all videos!

Cosmic_Dreams
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress 0.990

20 Feb 2019 13:25

ipagewebsite wrote:
DoctorOfSpace wrote:
ipagewebsite wrote:
Source of the post To make videos for youtube do I need the Pro version?

Only if you plan to monetize

I'm sorry! But Youtube is very naughty about copyright. How will he know who Pro is and who is not? It will block all videos!

It will most likely allow all videos (so long as the ingame music which is detectable by YouTube's algorithm is removed or replaced by something else that is royalty free) but if someone is found to be generating revenue with content that only uses the standard version then that person could be subject to manual copyright claims, potentially a channel strike, and even legal action.
Last edited by Cosmic_Dreams on 20 Feb 2019 19:44, edited 2 times in total.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress 0.990

20 Feb 2019 18:21

Zoliparia wrote:
Source of the post I just want to be able to take screenshots to use as a wallpaper on my own computer. Now i'll have to pay extra just to be able to do that without having the wallpaper include the UI.

Incorrect. The screenshot function in the standard version will function the same way as it always has.

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I wonder why it's called pro DLC instead of just Pro?

Because of the way it's set up on Steam. It really doesn't matter, it's just semantics.

ipagewebsite wrote:
Source of the post I'm sorry! But Youtube is very naughty about copyright. How will he know who Pro is and who is not? It will block all videos!

Youtube will not block any SpaceEngine videos.

illicitSoul wrote:
Source of the post I'm curious if steam release will have Nvidia Ansel? To my mind, it would be amazing to shot screenshots at upscaled resolution provided by this tool.

You can already set SE to whatever resolution you want before taking a screenshot. Almost everything Ansel does is already done natively by SpaceEngine anyway, what would be the point?

Sion wrote:
Source of the post I hate to be the one to ask, but am I the only one concerned that these "pro" things were once considered free in space engine?

I can only repeat the disclaimer I posted earlier:

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post Note: the details of the PRO DLC, including cost and what features it will have compared to the standard version, are still the subject of much internal discussion and have not been finalized. The contents of the blog post only represent SpaceEngineer's thoughts on the subject at the time that he wrote the post. Everything is subject to change.

Thanks for understanding,
HarbingerDawn
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Zoliparia
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

20 Feb 2019 23:51

I see. I'm sorry, my bad. I also take back my claim that SE is "going down the EA route". It made no sense.

GP300
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

21 Feb 2019 01:54

Really nice news update. Thanks for all the hard work!!

SE gotta get thumbs up from Steam soon because they can let some really *** games pass through their filters that contains so many bugs that you get all itchy just by reading the reviews.