Free planetarium

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

New planet classification

18 Aug 2017 06:44

PuzzySlayer9000 wrote:
Source of the post Airless is different from the -baric pattern, but I don't think there is any synonym of airless that is suitable for a celestial body devoid of an atmosphere.

There may not be, but it's easily created, since there is a prefix that indicates non-existence: a-. So it'd be abaric.

On the minus side, airless is much more straightforward to pretty much everyone.
My addons are to be found at JCandeias' Ships

Current count: 2

PuzzySlayer9000
Observer
Observer

18 Aug 2017 07:51

JCandeias wrote:
PuzzySlayer9000 wrote:
Source of the post Airless is different from the -baric pattern, but I don't think there is any synonym of airless that is suitable for a celestial body devoid of an atmosphere.

There may not be, but it's easily created, since there is a prefix that indicates non-existence: a-. So it'd be abaric.

On the minus side, airless is much more straightforward to pretty much everyone.

Abaric sounds cool and follows the pattern. Airless is more straightforward. I would rather have abaric but that's probably only because I know what it means.

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

22 Aug 2017 09:57

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post 16 Psyche cold airless metallic asteroid cold metallic microferria

Say, shouldn't the "airless" bit be omitted from asteroids? All asteroids are airless; they're too small to retain atmospheres. When they do have volatiles around them, they become comets.
My addons are to be found at JCandeias' Ships

Current count: 2

somsoc
Observer
Observer

25 Aug 2017 08:32

Don't know whether this part of development is still on-going, but I really like the suggestion somewhere in the thread to offer an optional to choose between simple and scientific classifications.

I'd also offer perhaps an extended version of that which is a short or long form of 'everyday' or scientific. This would satisfy I think many of those posting in this thread.

For example, myself and I am sure a lot of newcomers to SE, reading something is icy is perfectly acceptable. I don't need to know up front what type of ice that is. If I want to find out more, I can look at the detailed info. I think words which encourage further investigation are good.

I also suggest perhaps using a mouse rollover or click to show a longer more precise form of the descriptions talked about in this thread.

Really though I am a big fan of the way that Space Engine has talked about its objects. Something like 'Scorched selena' is really evocative to me. I love reading things like that in SE. It captures my imagination. I started using selena in conversation with people, which led to discussions about moons and so on, and often talking about the program itself. Selena has become part of my everyday language, but I know it is not useful in a scientific sense - but I'm not a scientist, I'm a writer, developer, and general creative person. Therefore having a system which is enjoyable/inspiring to read and use is more important to me than long-winded precision.

In the same sense, jovian and neptunian are better descriptors because they read well. I don't want to call something 'a jupiter planet'. (I realise I can hopefully edit the file provided, but I would be disappointed if this were in the official descriptions, I feel like SE will lose something in using that language).

Sometimes, I might want to look at the universe in a strict, precise scientific way, so I could enable the scientific approach and browse through 'cryogenic hyperbaric glacial aquarias' to my hearts content! :) That would be cool, as well.

somsoc
Observer
Observer

25 Aug 2017 08:35

edit: I'm sure cryogenic hyperbaric glacial aquarias are pretty cool.  :P