43 (49%)

Total votes: 88

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Default ships vs mods

15 May 2017 05:52

Please take into account that in a future game modding capabilities could be significantly limited, because of copyright issues gameplay (modifying the game files is a cheating, it will not be allowed in the online game).

Stab74
Astronaut
Astronaut

Default shps vs mods

15 May 2017 10:31

Really?  There are Star Wars mods for any number of games such as Stellaris, Homeworld, X3, Sins of a Solar Empire, etc and they don't seem to have any problems with copyright.

[youtube]Dy-iUXluJqc[/youtube]

Stab74
Astronaut
Astronaut

Default shps vs mods

15 May 2017 10:43

Interesting discussion on moddb about Star Wars IP copyright stuff.

EDIT:  As long as you are not including Star Wars or Star Trek stuff as part of the base game then it doesn't matter.  What modders do with the game you can't control and any copyright or IP infringement is exclusively on them.  
Last edited by Stab74 on 15 May 2017 10:57, edited 1 time in total.

ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer

Default shps vs mods

15 May 2017 13:39

I need a fourth option :-)
I often build my own ships modeling them with blender and other 3d software... space engine ship editor is very nice but allows you to create only ships of a certain type.

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

Default shps vs mods

15 May 2017 16:52

I generally mods or make my own, either with the Ship Editor, or import models from my other games.
Specs: STGAubron desktop PC; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2 12 GB Vram, Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz, 12 cpus; 32 GB RAM; Windows 11 x64

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Default shps vs mods

15 May 2017 18:05

I need a fourth option
I often build my own ships modeling them with blender and other 3d software... space engine ship editor is very nice but allows you to create only ships of a certain type.
Then there will be just 1 vote for this option :)
BTW, did you considered creating a ship models or modules for the editor to be included in official SE distribution? You seems a skilled 3D artist.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Default shps vs mods

15 May 2017 19:36

BTW, did you considered creating a ship models or modules for the editor to be included in official SE distribution? You seems a skilled 3D artist.
I have suggested he do this many times and he has tried.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Default shps vs mods

16 May 2017 04:02

For me, I using mods, ships made in the editor and the Space Engine in the order of use.

Indeed the modules of ettore_bilbo and its vessels are impressive.
Please take into account that in a future game modding capabilities could be significantly limited, because of copyright issues gameplay (modifying the game files is a cheating, it will not be allowed in the online game).
Too bad, I had ships with a large wrap and a TARDIS (by DoctorOfSpace) I edit (for the warp (WarpBoostLog 38)) :( :D.

Have a nice day.

PS : Just for info, is write in the title "Default shps vs mods" instead of "Default ships vs mods".
► Information

ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer

Default shps vs mods

16 May 2017 08:15

did you considered creating a ship models or modules for the editor to be included in official SE distribution? You seems a skilled 3D artist.
This is a compliment too big! for me 3d modeling it's just a hobby.
in fact I tried once to insert my models in SE editor, but I had some problems.
furthermore i'm not good at all with creating and drawing textures...

maybe i will try again in future... when SE will allow animations.
I have an idea for a torch ship that can turn into a rotating station when orbits a planet, and I'd love to see her in game :-D
something like this:
Attachments
torch.jpg
torch2.jpg

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

Default shps vs mods

16 May 2017 09:57

I try to use SE default ships but lately I a prefer using my own builds from the SE ship Editor. I try to make my ships as realistic as possible and as similar as possible with the envisioned technology that is/will be used with the default SE ships when the game is ready.

However I really want the latest version of the editor to become available I mean usable in SE. It is still impossible to see builds with the latest version in the game because some essential modules are still missing :(

I have to admit though that some ported ships from DoctorOfSpace, HarbingerDawn and other talented forum members are too good to just ignore them :)
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0

Vinny002
Observer
Observer

Default shps vs mods

16 May 2017 16:10

Hi, guys!!

I really enjoy flying ships in SE!! Please count me in! Thanks!

Cheers,
                 Vincent

Speedademon
Astronaut
Astronaut

Default ships vs mods

19 May 2017 12:36

I usually fly with SE default ships. But I also love flying in interstellar addon ships.
Hi I like fraid chikin

problemecium
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Default ships vs mods

19 May 2017 17:06

I have an idea for a torch ship that can turn into a rotating station when orbits a planet, and I'd love to see her in game :-D
Me too! o_o Those are quite impressive.
I do think that if "the official SE game" doesn't allow mods on "the official server" then it will need an expanded capacity for user-built ships. There will either need to be a very wide selection of parts (think KSP's Interstellar mod) or some kind of procedural parts functionality (a la, again, KSP's procedural parts mod, or Children of a Dead Earth).
ᴩʀoʙʟᴇᴍᴇᴄɪᴜᴍ﹖

Proteus
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Default ships vs mods

18 Jun 2017 12:05

As much as I love the idea (and having that option for) loading my favorite sci-fi fantasy ships into my favorite space sim and exploring around with them, I'm quite a genuine fan of the Russian-style SE ships. They feel a bit more serious and go a bit more by the submarine style ship model that I feel more space games should implement. It makes everything more matured and involved!

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Default ships vs mods

19 Jun 2017 18:49

Hard to choose just one item out of these three. I like doing them all.

But if I had to choose one, it would be the ship editor. That still leaves a lot of flexibility.