I using mods (Startrek, Star Wars etc)
43 (49%)

Total votes: 88

problemecium
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Default ships vs mods

20 Jun 2017 00:15

In light of Proteus's points: I like the default ships, but in a vast universe liable to contain many spacefaring factions (even among humanity alone), the single design scheme available at present seems a bit insufficient; thus I'd appreciate having more "styles" available in the editor in the near future (as I'm sure is the plan eventually anyway). For inspiration I'd suggest:
- Compare and contrast the basic motifs of the major races in EVE Online (albeit with more realistic hull shapes): grungy and utilitarian for the Minmatar, curvy and bulky for the Gallente, blocky and industrial for the Caldari, polished and decorated for the Amarr, etc.
- The style found in Children of a Dead Earth: tapered cylindrical ships with large radiators and wide engine gimballing ranges for steering
- V-Ger from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I'm one of an apparent minority who considers that movie my favorite, and it's almost entirely because of that epic ship design.
ᴩʀoʙʟᴇᴍᴇᴄɪᴜᴍ﹖

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Default ships vs mods

22 Jul 2017 06:42

problemecium, a large artwork is needed for this. I am a programmer, not artist. So one can rely only on volunteer modders, or wait for 10x more donation rate or profit from a paid game version, when I will be able to hire artist or buy existing artworks.
BTW, Payload works on splitting good old AMS ships (SS-Basic, SS-Science, SS-Cargo) into pieces and adding them to the ship editor. It's hard because their parts was designed for rectangular grid, but they could be adapted somehow. Anyone who is good at 3D modelling can join this work (we have original *.obj files for these ships).

darth_biomech
Observer
Observer

Default ships vs mods

28 Oct 2017 13:38

Please take into account that in a future game modding capabilities could be significantly limited, because of gameplay (modifying the game files is a cheating, it will not be allowed in the online game).
This is very, very, very bad idea, imo. It would be wiser to just simply add a hash check of all the core files important for gameplay upon connection to the server, and do not allow connection for a player who returns a mismatch with hashes of files used on a server. Limiting the modding abilities would be a betrayal for the players who prefer to play offline.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Default ships vs mods

29 Oct 2017 02:11

darth_biomech, he means more in line with the far future plans of multiplayer.

A check of files is planned and single player game play is also planned.  SpaceEngineer and I have discussed the single player aspects in great length and modding is something that is planned for that aspect.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

Default ships vs mods

03 Aug 2018 19:19

Since I use Space Engine as a simulator in its truest sense, I prefer to suspend disbelief and play the default ships, plus some of those I make in the editor. The defaults are realistic and (I think) are very similar to what we would ourselves use in the future for space exploration. A bit boring to some maybe, but important to me. I do see the appeal in zipping around in the Enterprise though, so if you like that, all the power to you. 
Futurum Fusionem

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Default ships vs mods

04 Aug 2018 01:08

Ships are not for me as long as I can not get in, tell my ship computer my destination and just fly away.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

snyper1188
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Default ships vs mods

26 Apr 2019 12:47

I find myself using the interstellar addon for most of my ship flying, I love the station, and I put one in orbit around most planets I go to.  I use the modified skylone from the flight school to "ferry" ships to and from them, as the interstellar addon does not have any warp capable ships.