A Note About Eventual Mac Compatibility

05 Jun 2017 20:00

^ *Whatever Graphics Setting are the Best

waterlubber
Observer
Observer

10 Jun 2017 15:39

You may want to add groups/discussions for Linux and Mac development. I use Linux often and having a wide variety of people with different system configurations can help a lot -- I'd certainly be willing to help out.
I remember the old forum!

spacegoat
Observer
Observer

25 Jun 2017 20:44

I'm raising my kids on Chromebooks with dual boot Linux, they loved Space Engine before my PC broke. We all can't wait to use it again on Linux! 

muddygun
Observer
Observer

05 Sep 2017 23:32

Just want to second the motion of adding this simulator to the Mac.  PLEASE.  Love what your doing with it.  I currently own a 2016 model of a MacBook Pro.  I understand that the workplace graphic cards might not be suitable, but I am sure it could perform fairly decently.  

baahcuse
Observer
Observer

18 Sep 2017 07:27

Thanks for the previous response about N-body physics (In April!...sorry I didn't get back to this sooner). I had hoped to see a Mac version by this point. Any timetable for that?

Maurício Cruz
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

24 Sep 2017 17:16

I think is good to implement a update to instal SE in linux Ubuntu, we can't do it actualy.
Pluto taught us at least how creative the universe could be (DOCUMENTARY)

SpaceExplorer
Observer
Observer

04 Oct 2017 05:59

I'm running a Mac too. I'm also waiting. I have the Mac book 2017 model with retina display and 16 GB RAM. Sadly, both my processor and my graphics are intel.
It's still very fast though!

SpaceExplorer
Observer
Observer

08 Oct 2017 06:36

ImageI am able to launch SE on my Mac, but it said I have openGL obsolete 2.1 when I have 4.1 so it won't let me get past the loading screen. (the picture of the black hole)

wenn
Observer
Observer

02 Dec 2017 19:09

want a mac version badly

kandedong
Observer
Observer

14 Dec 2017 05:11

Me too! When I look at the low funding rate, I wonder why a Mac version is not further prioritised. Mac users are willing to spend more for software per average (especially for high quality), so the best funding source is systematically excluded. The spending goal for the Mac version itself was already reached long ago, so there is no motivation for us to spend anything at the moment. All we can do is sigh. I really want to teach my kid about the universe using SE.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Topic Author

14 Dec 2017 19:56

Mac users are willing to spend more for software per average (especially for high quality), so the best funding source is systematically excluded.
More per person, yes, but there are also not many Mac users in total. Even if a Mac user is willing to spend $20 for something a Windows user will only spend $7 for, the fact that there are 10x more Windows users than Mac users means that focusing on Windows would still be more profitable.

Anyway, that is not what determines the pace of development, so it's irrelevant.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

katietheebug
Observer
Observer

10 Aug 2018 17:16

[quote="HarbingerDawn"][quote="kandedong"][post]16855[/post] Mac users are willing to spend more for software per average (especially for high quality), so the best funding source is systematically excluded.[/quote]
More per person, yes, but there are also not many Mac users in total. Even if a Mac user is willing to spend $20 for something a Windows user will only spend $7 for, the fact that there are 10x more Windows users than Mac users means that focusing on Windows would still be more profitable.

Anyway, that is not what determines the pace of development, so it's irrelevant.[/quote]

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but they're right, you guys are ignoring a huge target audience and source of income by not putting the development of an OSX version a little higher on your priorities list. As far as I can tell, the most major updates to the game are texture updates these days. Which doesn't seem quite as important when you have a giant group of people desperate to use your amazing program but can't because they have macbooks. You asked for funding. We gave it to you. But we don't see our money being used at all for anything and that's a little dishearting. Any update at all on when planning for an OSX version would settle at least my mind for a bit.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

11 Aug 2018 01:19

It seems to me that Apple chose to make the things less confusing (for them)
https://www.google.it/amp/s/arstechnica ... e/%3famp=1
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

11 Aug 2018 03:43

Yeah they have been pushing metal API exclusivity for a while now.

As for user base for mac, I hear a lot of people state there is a large one but in my 20+ years of computer involvement which actually started on mac only as that is all our school had, I recall only meeting 2-3 people that did some sort of gaming on mac after leaving primary school. All other mac users, a minority at that was in the graphic design/printing industry only for the purpose of adobe software and even then Windows out numbered mac by at least 5:1, even Linux based system out numbered the macs as about 30% of RIP machines running the printers were Linux where the other 70% of RIP PCs are windows.    

I personally think a Linux version would be a better idea but not if it subtracts from the efforts of development currently as windows application.

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

11 Aug 2018 04:33

Even Frontier announced a few months ago the end of Elite Dangerous for Mac. When a whole programmers team from a Pro game developer cannot keep up with multi platform support - how can people expect Space Engine to support Mac when it is mainly developed by a single person (with occasional help from a few other people)? It is humanly impossible.

After all Mac users can still run windows apps via bootcamp. And it is common knowledge that Macs are not the best platform for 3D gaming apps.
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0