Ultimate space simulation software

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Topic Author

A Note About Eventual Mac Compatibility

16 Aug 2018 11:19

katietheebug wrote:
Source of the post I don't mean to be rude or anything, but they're right, you guys are ignoring a huge target audience and source of income by not putting the development of an OSX version a little higher on your priorities list.

Ok, let's get into the numbers so we can settle this definitively.

First we'll look at revenue potential.

Current OS market share on desktops and laptops:

Windows - 88.43%
Mac - 9.11%

So the ratio of Windows users to Mac users is about 9.7:1. Even if we assume that revenue per person could be 3x higher for Mac users than Windows users (which I think is unlikely), that still means that revenue from Windows sales would be at least 3.23x greater than revenue from Mac sales.

Now we'll look at development cost.

Amount of additional time required for each OS version:

Windows - none
Mac - Probably 6 months of dedicated work (just a wild guess as SE is a very complex project and I'm not a programmer)

So probably 1000 hours of dedicated work, which if we assume some fair value for labor cost (like $10/hour) results in a $10,000 expense in labor alone, not to mention 6 months of development delay. Keep in mind, this is me making a guess, and I could be wrong in either direction, so potentially the delay could be even longer and more costly.

Due to the above, it makes little sense to prioritize cross-platform support right now. However, when the company is grown and additional developers are hired, SE can then be ported to Mac and Linux with much less impact on development schedule. The most sensible thing is to wait.

I know you're frustrated about the lack of cross-platform support, and I sympathize - I too want SE to be available to as many people as possible. But it doesn't make sense to prioritize that under the current circumstances. I hope you understand.

katietheebug wrote:
Source of the post As far as I can tell, the most major updates to the game are texture updates these days.

That's not true at all. Read all the development blogs posted since 0.9.8.0 was released, huge changes have been made which have nothing at all to do with textures.
Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Topic Author

A Note About Eventual Mac Compatibility

16 Aug 2018 13:46

I updated the OP to reflect the graphics hardware available in the current Mac lineup.
Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717