Free planetarium

ARBB
Observer

SpaceEngine TODO

18 May 2017 18:24

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post Impossible  Voxel engine is needed for this.

Vladimir, an question, why don't you update the engine to an voxel engine? I mean, it opens millions of possibilities, and everyone's using it, so there is a heck lot of articles giving inumerable ways of doing a thing. Star Citizen procedural planets are made with voxels, No Man's Sky planets are made with voxels, and the list keeps going. 
  Yes, it would be time consuming and something pratically impossible in this stage of development, but did you ever considered the idea? Caves, and other geological structures would be plausible, 3D water and volumetric effects embeded on the own system, and it would be much more pratical since you could use an preexisting engine to do it, or other asset codes.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

SpaceEngine TODO

19 May 2017 00:53

ARBB wrote:
Source of the post  Vladimir, an question, why don't you update the engine to an voxel engine?

Because I am a single man working on a huge project. There are millions things to work on, and voxel engine is low in the priority list.

ARBB wrote:
Source of the post le, 3D water and volumetric effects embeded on the own system

This does not related with the terrain engine.

ARBB wrote:
Source of the post you could use an preexisting engine

Preexisting engine? I don't think so.

problemecium
Astronaut

SpaceEngine TODO

19 May 2017 15:11

It's a bit half-baked, and you may have thought of it already, but have you considered the idea of implementing terrain holes by way of prefab meshes? Something like this:
- Mark a spot on the surface as "non-solid" so that it doesn't cause collisions or render terrain
- Spawn a pre-modeled cave (perhaps with a few procedural parameters, e.g. scale) so that its entrance aligns with the non-solid spot
- Set the cave's texture to something roughly matching the planet's
ᴩʀoʙʟᴇᴍᴇᴄɪᴜᴍ﹖
Formerly known as "parameciumkid."

ARBB
Observer

SpaceEngine TODO

19 May 2017 15:19

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post Because I am a single man working on a huge project. There are millions things to work on, and voxel engine is low in the priority list.

I know, that's why I made very clear that it is impossible at this stage, just imagined if you ever considered the idea.