Ultimate space simulation software

SCtester
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

13 May 2017 10:29

My one very minor suggestion would be to round the corners a bit of the control bars on the side and bottom.
Ah, I see. Okay, that makes sense then.
This is possible since 0.9.7.3. Skin textures and config files are in the data/textures/common/.
Wow, thanks for that info! I'm such a derp, I previously went in that folder before but didn't bother to look at the file type of CommonTex0980.pak. It automatically opened it with Notepad ++, and obviously it's not going to show anything understandable if you try to open a compressed folder with a text editor, so I just assumed it was a file I couldn't edit.  :lol:

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

13 May 2017 13:55

New UI skin. Based on a sketch made by this guy.
I like the new skin.
► Information

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

15 May 2017 09:06

Very nice, I like it!

SpaceEngineer, I didn't understand if this will be the only available skin or older ones will also be available.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

15 May 2017 18:11

I didn't understand if this will be the only available skin or older ones will also be available.
Of course they will. What is a point to remove them?

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

15 May 2017 18:15

Once again upgraded locations menu. I trying to turn it to a game-like save/load menu, and add the save/load options to the main menu. Previews are generated when user adds a location or going to it, and saved to the config folder (it could be split to "config" and "save" folder).

I can also put a preview to each row of the table, but then it will be much smaller. What do you think?
scr00616.jpg

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

15 May 2017 18:24

Really nice. I'm not a fan of very small previews, so I concur with you. Unless you try with very large rows, then maybe you would need a buttons rearrangement.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Voubi
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

15 May 2017 18:46

Nah, I, personally, think this is already pretty good as it is now. Adding Small previews to each of them could make this one piece of UI seem a bit cluttered...
Something interesting would be to allow us to write a small description of the saved location (not something very complex to add in my mind, but what-do-i-know-?), It would allow for easier sharing (as i can see a "share" button) and for more organisation and "customization" of individual saves...
Also, separating the folders is, in my mind, a better Idea... It would be easier to find them back this way... Maybe you could even save them under My Documents/Saved Games/Space Engine (not sure about this one, this just went through my mind and seemed something worth mentioning...).

Anyway, love the new UI, makes the Game/Software/Engine (Delete as Appropriate) look way more smooth and modern...
Kudos to you, again, for all this wonderful work...
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known..."
-Carl Sagan

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 May 2017 03:47

Once again upgraded locations menu. I trying to turn it to a game-like save/load menu, and add the save/load options to the main menu. Previews are generated when user adds a location or going to it, and saved to the config folder (it could be split to "config" and "save" folder).

I can also put a preview to each row of the table, but then it will be much smaller. What do you think?

So like this already it goes but otherwise indeed, the image would be small if you want to put it also in the list on the left. If not, if you can, why not display the detail detail right also when you pass the cursor over it and as soon as the mouse is removed from an item in the list, the right preview will return to the selected location, would be simpler no ?
Also, is it planned to add a glimpse of the celestial bodies also in the historical (place where we visited) and also a list of all the planets that were given a nickname (that is to say the name that you gave to the celestial object when you do information, edited) ?
Also in the main menu when you click edited, instead of "Edit planet", replace by "Edit the celestial bodie" or "Edit the aster" because we can edit a star, a black hole or a moon.
Have a nice day.
► Information

SCtester
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

17 May 2017 14:13

The new locations menu looks really nice, good work SpaceEngineer! I would personally like to have small previews on each row, however I completely understand those who don't want it. Would it be possible to have that as an option in the settings - being able to turn on and off location previews?

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

17 May 2017 14:58

Maybe a tiles then? Larger window with 3*3 grid of previews.

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

18 May 2017 06:06

Maybe a tiles then? Larger window with 3*3 grid of previews.
If you want it to be more "gamish"... that would totally look like a game, indeed.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

My idea for a small first "gameplay" mechanic - base building

19 May 2017 09:24

Made some adjustments in code, now it's easy to make a base as a static ship.

New types of celestial objects added - "Object", "Spacecraft", "Structure", "Artifact", used to describe a static ship/building as a fictional "planet" in a planet catalog. You have to describe your object as a "satellite" of a some planet like this:
Structure "Mariner base"
{
 Model          "spacecraft/MarsBase/MarsBase.sss"
 ParentBody     "Mars"
 TidalLocked     true // up vector automatically derived from FixedPos coordinates
 RotationOffset  96 // free parameter - orientation azimuth
 FixedPosPolar  (99.512224 -6.943654 3399.9) // longitude, latitude and distance from the parent planet center
}
There you have to specify a longitude, latitude and distance from the parent planet center in the FixedPosPolar, then adjust it more precisely it in the ship/planet editor (I have added an "infinite slider" mode for sliders to ease editing), then save the script (via exporting). If the TidalLocked true is specified, SE automatically computes the object's orientation to keep it horizontal on a planet surface (RotationOffset is a free parameter, used to adjust orientation azimuth).

Any ship model can be used, for this example I created a martian base model in the ship editor (capsule-shaped modules were rotated in the built-in SE ship editor). You have to specify the path to the model's sss script in the Model parameter. The sss script is regular, I only have added a new ship classes: "Building", "Base", "City":
Name    "MarsBase"
Class   "Base"
Pack    "SpaceEngine"
Faction "SHW Habitat Inc."
Length   404.63666
Offset  (0 0 -10)
Quat    (0.5 -0.5 -0.5 0.5)
Mass     7.5946592e+008
Albedo   0.3
Exposure 2
Color   (1 1 1)
MainEngines  0
RetroEngines 0
HoverEngines 0
CorrEngines  0
TurnEngines  0.002
WarpBoostLog 0
Warpdrive    false
Aerodynamics false

Module  "fuel_tank1"  { "Modules/fuel_tank.cfg" (-1 0 0 0 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 1) }
Module  "propellent_tank1"  { "Modules/propellent_tank.cfg" (-1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 -1 0 0 90 0 1) }
scr00626.jpg
scr00627.jpg
scr00628.jpg
Space station could be made by similar way, you just have to specify different type/class, and describe a normal orbit around planet instead of FixedPosPolar. Static space stations could be used to dock with you ship. This works even for buildings/bases, although has no sense. In future docking ports in bases could be changed to a landing pads, with different highlighting mode.

Now it's time to make some parts for a ground bases to be used in the editor :)

Next necessary work is adding static ships to a game (so you can build/destroy them), and making an easy tool to place a base on the ground.

The main visual problem with this is that bases looks like coming from a game from 90's. SE does not have a good lighting model for ships, no shadows, no custom lights, no global illumination, no transparency, no reflections etc. A very large work must be done in this field. And, of course, needed improved level of detail of planets, especially on Solar system's ones...

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

19 May 2017 09:39

Anyway it's a step in the right direction. Wonderful
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

19 May 2017 09:52

I wonder how modders will welcome this new feature  8-)

ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

19 May 2017 13:37

Made some adjustments in code, now it's easy to make a base as a static ship.
Hooray!!
New types of celestial objects added - "Object", "Spacecraft", "Structure", "Artifact", used to describe a static ship/building as a fictional "planet" in a planet catalog
Unfortunately I imagine that for now it only works with catalog systems and not with procedural... is it right?
Now it's time to make some parts for a ground bases to be used in the editor
This will be very interesting!!