Ultimate space simulation software

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0

07 Mar 2017 18:41

according to the Nvidia driver page, the latest Nvidia driver should be 342.01.
A-L-E-X
sorry, I've overlooked that you still have Windows XP.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

amoebae
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

08 Mar 2017 16:16

I'm running SE 0.9.8.0 with the latest nvidia drivers for my 980Ti (378.66) on Win7 64bit. My planets and stars are invisible (atmospheres still show up though). I thought it was outdated drivers, but I updated them today and no dice.

I'm currently doing a fresh install of SE to see if that fixes things, but in the meantime wondered if anyone had any ideas? I had used this installation of 0.9.8.0 previously with no problems (a few months ago now), I'm not sure what's changed my end - nothing that I'm aware of.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

08 Mar 2017 16:25

amoebae, could you please attach your se.log file which is located in your SpaceEngine/system/ folder? Do you have a screenshot? Are your planets/galaxies/stars disabled? Check with F4.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

amoebae
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

08 Mar 2017 16:45

amoebae, could you please attach your se.log file which is located in your SpaceEngine/system/ folder? Do you have a screenshot? Are your planets/galaxies/stars disabled? Check with F4.
It seems to be ReShade - I've done a fresh install of 0.9.8.0 and without ReShade installed everything was as it should be. As soon as I installed ReShade again the planets are gone.
So it's a shader conflict? I'll have a look on the ReShade forums to see if anyone has flagged this up with the latest ReShade version. I've not had any problems with previous versions.
se.log attached just in case - I notice some warnings regarding height and slope initialization, I don't know if that's normal or not.
Attachments
se.log
(55.55 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

amoebae
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

08 Mar 2017 17:00

Using ReShade with no shaders installed causes the same thing, so it's the tool itself. No one else seems to be having the same problem. Confusing.

Edit: Okay, ReShade 3.0.3 works. No idea what's going on with the newer versions, then. I'll let them know on the forum.

Sorry for the confusion. 

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

08 Mar 2017 17:42

Any input in troubleshooting could help others as well, so I wouldn't worry much :) I saw those warnings before, I see around that could indicate a problem during compilation of shaders, maybe forcing a recompilation by deleting the cache folder could help.
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Nirklars
Observer
Observer

11 Mar 2017 19:05

I'm having trouble recording in Open Broadcaster OBS. When I have it running in the background even when not recording strange graphical glitches start appearing, get worse and eventually lead to a crash.

It appears only on procedural planets.
On startup everything looks fine for a couple of seconds. First black squares in the terrain appears, then the terrain height gets randomized (spiky and corrupted?) and then even more spiky. Eventually the terrain disappears and weird texture distortions appear. The program starts locking up and has to be terminated or if left alone crashes.

Youtube video showing the problem:

[youtube]dW5M6aILI9g[/youtube]

Youtube video with PlanetVSFetching set to true:

[youtube]jJ8Xu2PSJoY[/youtube]

I've tried changing:
PlanetVSFetching true
This makes it take a little longer before it crashes and the glitches aren't as bad.

And reducing/increasing
VideoMemorySize 2048
and
VideoMemorySize 1024

Asus GTX1060 3GB Nvidia driver 372.90
I also tried some older drivers without any change.

I've also attached my se.log file.
Hope you can figure out the reason and keep up the awesome development!

Best Regards
Nick
Attachments
se.log
(48.38 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

pi2fly
Observer
Observer

14 Mar 2017 01:16

The ship control bar keeps dropping out of sight. When I take control a ship it'll stay for a short, but then it drops.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

14 Mar 2017 09:07

pi2fly, there's a small square pin in the top-right corner of the bar, maybe yours is set to auto-hide. Click on it to lock it.

hiigaran
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

14 Mar 2017 11:20

Got a couple of issues. First one, I'm not entirely sure if it's a bug, or intentional, but the flight mode does not appear to have any sort of self-righting or stability as an aircraft would. So if I were to roll, for instance, it would continue rolling, without either slowing the roll down until it no longer rolls, or returning to a set reference point (such as what is considered level when using either the horizon or orbit interfaces). That said, I'm quite certain that this is either an intentional feature, or some control I might have missed.

The second issue is more annoying, and I'm guessing is definitely a bug. I've noticed that when I rotate the view, be that just a simple rotation of the camera around a planet, or a vehicle rotating, there appears to be lines shooting out randomly and frequently from the center of the screen. This is usually accompanied by what looks like a distant star in the center of the screen whenever these lines flicker into view. I'm currently uploading a video to YouTube to demonstrate this particular bug. Will edit this post in about an hour.

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

14 Mar 2017 12:35

Got a couple of issues. First one, I'm not entirely sure if it's a bug, or intentional, but the flight mode does not appear to have any sort of self-righting or stability as an aircraft would. So if I were to roll, for instance, it would continue rolling, without either slowing the roll down until it no longer rolls, or returning to a set reference point (such as what is considered level when using either the horizon or orbit interfaces). That said, I'm quite certain that this is either an intentional feature, or some control I might have missed.

The second issue is more annoying, and I'm guessing is definitely a bug. I've noticed that when I rotate the view, be that just a simple rotation of the camera around a planet, or a vehicle rotating, there appears to be lines shooting out randomly and frequently from the center of the screen. This is usually accompanied by what looks like a distant star in the center of the screen whenever these lines flicker into view. I'm currently uploading a video to YouTube to demonstrate this particular bug. Will edit this post in about an hour.
First is probably intentional.
Second is a bug.
Have you tried:
  • Reinstalling Space Engine
  • Deleting the all the .cfg files in the cache subfolder of the SpaceEngine folder
  • Reinstalling Space Engine before doing the above mentioned
  • Deleting entire SpaceEngine folder, then reinstalling Space Engine
If none of that worked, could you please attach your se.log file, located in the system subsection of the SpaceEngine folder?
You use the add files button to attach files or pictures.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

hiigaran
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

14 Mar 2017 13:05

Will try those at some point when I have the time. In the meantime, this is the video I was referring to:

[youtube]ct3e5sm2K2s[/youtube]

(probably still processing)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

14 Mar 2017 13:40

Doc, it sped back up to 100 :( so I had to downthrottle the card to 50% speed so now it's at 80C Maybe my room is too hot (it stays close to 80 F).  The temp of the card had half speed stays between 74-86 C

What else besides a crowded case and a warm room could cause card overheating?  It also says that over 95% of my card is being used (I guess that is similar to CPU usage?)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

14 Mar 2017 13:44

all my issues are fixed except I had to throttle my graphics card to half speed to keep it from heating up to 100C (now it's closer to 80C), the other which is just a nuisance is when I try to close the program it just hangs.  so I either ctrl alt delete it or wait for the windows dialog box to show up to close it using that.  If I made changes they still save (including my last location) the only thing that doesn't save is if I change my limiting magnitude (dimmest stars, planets and galaxies visible), they always go back to default 7.0 the next time I run the program.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

14 Mar 2017 13:50

A-L-E-X, unfortunately you're right and I can confirm that your drivers are the latest available for Win XP.

Depending on the conditions and accumulated mileage of your graphic card, and if heating is discarded with the help of a fan or only passive radiators, I think it's possible that your GPU reach 100 Celsius, Space Engine make abundant use of that chip and video RAM memory, which in your case is less than 1GB minimum suggested.
This could also be the reason for some crash, high temperature and aging VRAM could raise the chances of a memory addressing problem.

I think it would be better for the card to work with lower temp so I'd suggest you to check if said fan is working and to use something like a can of compressed air to clean up possible dust clogs from the card.
If it's a custom PC case, sometimes even if it isn't, there's the possibility to force better air flowing with the installation of a 80mm case fan, thus lowering overall internal temperature. Your mainboard could have pins to attach and control that fan via BIOS, but it's not really necessary.
It is custom I built it myself with a window case. I will increase the speed of the fans and turn on air conditioning in the room even in the winter.  That always helps.  It has a dual slot cooler.  Is 80C going to shorten the life of the card? My understanding is 80C is fine and will not shorten its life?
I will clean the card regardless- right now I have it running at half speed to keep it at 80C. The card has very fast memory but it is 640 MB, does that mean it uses my RAM for the rest of the memory? I have 2 GB RAM.  I set the program to use 2 GB RAM.  I have 3 Vantec Tornado 80MM fans installed with a Vantec controller, but I had the fans set to minimum because they are so loud.  I can increase their speed.  The funny thing about the GPU dual slot cooler and fan is increasing its speed doesn't seem to do anything for the temps, they stay the same at 30% vs 60% vs 80% vs 100% I use Rivatuner, EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner to monitor everything.