Ultimate space simulation software

Mr. Abner
Pioneer
Pioneer

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0

20 Apr 2019 19:25

snyper1188 wrote:
Can anyone tell me why that when the game crashes, all of my ships that WERE in stable orbits and ships DOCKED with said ships in orbit are suddenly no longer docked, and the orbiting ships are hundreds of thousands of kilometers away?  Super frustrating to have to re-do all of my orbits and docked ships...  Version 0.9.8.0 Beta

I believe that would be because the ship position updates are saved when you exit the program. When it crashes, they are not saved, so when you start SE up again, the clock is updated (hence planets and moons move in their orbits), but ship positions revert to where they were the last time you exited normally. (Or something like that.)

As for ships becoming undocked, you don't even need a crash for that happen. And I concur, that can be very frustrating.

snyper1188
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

21 Apr 2019 09:01

[quote="Mr. Abner"][quote="snyper1188"]Can anyone tell me why that when the game crashes, all of my ships that WERE in stable orbits and ships DOCKED with said ships in orbit are suddenly no longer docked, and the orbiting ships are hundreds of thousands of kilometers away?  Super frustrating to have to re-do all of my orbits and docked ships...  Version 0.9.8.0 Beta[/quote]
I believe that would be because the ship position updates are saved when you exit the program. When it crashes, they are not saved, so when you start SE up again, the clock is updated (hence planets and moons move in their orbits), but ship positions revert to where they were the last time you exited normally. (Or something like that.)

As for ships becoming undocked, you don't even need a crash for that happen. And I concur, that can be very frustrating.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences this. I hope that the system will eventually become more stable. I'm in the process of launching "space stations" from the interstellar addon to all of the planets, and since those spacecraft don't have warp drives, I've been "Ferrying" them using a modified skylone. (The one from SE Flight School) I want to create something similar to quests or missions, but I have no idea how to create a UI for something like that... Thanks again for answering!

ayylmaowow
Observer
Observer

22 Apr 2019 16:38

i am trying to run it in oculus, it keeps telling me the oculus isn't found. i just finished playing some vr games...

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

23 Apr 2019 00:56

ayylmaowow wrote:
i am trying to run it in oculus, it keeps telling me the oculus isn't found. i just finished playing some vr games...

If what it tells you is "Oculus Rift HMD not found, or Oculus Runtime version is not 0.8", it could be that you don't have Oculus Runtime v. 0.8, but a newer version. SE 0980 was tested with that version.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

ayylmaowow
Observer
Observer

23 Apr 2019 10:38

yeah that's exactly what it says

snyper1188
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

23 Apr 2019 12:58

Question--I just updated to the 0.9.8.0e patch, and now my UI bars (time, settings, magnitude and brightness, bar with the orbital settings, etc) have disappeared.  I can't figure out how to get them back.  Normally, I move my cursor over to the side or bottom, and they pop up.  Any reason why or how to get them back?  Is there a setting?  They are there when I first start up SE, but if I go to the settings, or the editor, etc, they disappear, and won't come back...  Help?

EDIT:  I've also updated my graphics card, still no dice...  Also, planets textures are super weird looking, almost like the textures didn't fully load...  Once I get close, they do eventually load, but I didn't have this problem at all before downloading the 0.9.8.0e patch.  [attachment=0]scr00041.jpg[/attachment]

EDIT #2:  I rebooted my computer after checking for updates, and that has seemed to fix this issue.  Case Closed!
Attachments
scr00041.jpg
Last edited by snyper1188 on 25 Apr 2019 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Abner
Pioneer
Pioneer

23 Apr 2019 17:31

Always worth remembering: Whenever you make hardware changes, particularly a graphics card, you should always delete the SpaceEngine\cache folder before restarting SE.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

24 Apr 2019 06:26

Mr. Abner wrote:
Source of the post Whenever you make hardware changes, particularly a graphics card, you should always delete the SpaceEngine\cache folder before restarting SE

Also after installing new graphics drivers. But starting with 0.990 SE will do this for you automatically.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Apr 2019 15:15

Thanks, I haven't been doing that when updating graphics drivers and it causes a longer load time since it builds up the shader cache again.  Got excited with the latest driver update because in the release notes it states that the new drivers bring ray tracing to the 1060 GTX 6 GB card!

Wiktor120
Observer
Observer

27 Apr 2019 08:38

Space engine doesn't work. It loads up, and instead of showing me the menu, it just shows a blurry image partialy obscured by black rectangles. The size and placement is consistent between attempts to turn it on.

It used to work.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

27 Apr 2019 08:53

Wiktor120, please use https://pastebin.com/ to post your se.log file, which is located in your SpaceEngine/system/ folder, and give us here the address of the file.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

27 Apr 2019 10:30

Wiktor120 wrote:
Source of the post it just shows a blurry image partialy obscured by black rectangles.

Maybe the 'main-user.cfg' is corrupt. That happens sometimes. Delete this file! It is in the 'config' directory of SpaceEngine. SpaceEngine then will create a new 'main-user.cfg'.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Wiktor120
Observer
Observer

27 Apr 2019 10:35

Mosfet, here's the link [url=https://pastebin.com/5nuiivcw]https://pastebin.com/5nuiivcw[/url]

Wiktor120
Observer
Observer

27 Apr 2019 10:38

JackDole, it worked, thank you very much

snyper1188
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

03 May 2019 20:40

Mr. Abner wrote:
Always worth remembering: Whenever you make hardware changes, particularly a graphics card, you should always delete the SpaceEngine\cache folder before restarting SE.

How and where do I do this?  I may need to, planet textures are going weird again, after updating my graphics card...