Ultimate space simulation software

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0

06 Feb 2017 13:20

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post VirgoServal wrote:
My screen goes completely black - UI, screen, everything - when i get too close to some stars. Help!

It's impossible to help you with the info you have provided. Please be more specific, attach the log file, describe you system specs and driver version, write name of a problematic star, etc.

The same thing happens to me whenever I get close to some stars.
http://imgur.com/a/iBgre
RSC 8474-9903-0-0-180
Blue Supergiant with black hole(has an accretion disk).

SPECS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz 2.40GHz
64-bit OS, x64-based processor
ACER
DRIVER VERSION: 10.0.14393.0
By log file, you mean se document or...?
Attachments
log1.log
(44.22 KiB) Downloaded 194 times

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

06 Feb 2017 13:29

spaceguy wrote:
Source of the post The same thing happens to me whenever I get close to some stars.
RSC 8474-9903-0-0-180

Is this happens only with black holes, neutron stars and white dwarfs? It seems your Intel HD can't render them properly.

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

06 Feb 2017 13:38

SpaceEngineer wrote:
spaceguy wrote:
Source of the post The same thing happens to me whenever I get close to some stars.
RSC 8474-9903-0-0-180

Is this happens only with black holes, neutron stars and white dwarfs? It seems your Intel HD can't render them properly.

Nope, it's weird actually.
It apparently happens with extremely bright stars, with or without black holes. Everything else loads fine currently, but before even less luminous stars caused this glitch to happen. It happens randomly but converges into regularity the brighter the star.  But that's incosistent because I can visit the crab pulsar just fine and it's bright as hell. Maybe it's the models and textures since big stars tend to do this for me.

Right now though it's happening with massive stars with black holes that have accretion disks. 

EDIT:
http://imgur.com/a/q9gdJ
weird. it spazzes out and when i come back it stays permanently black.
but for example, some stars are exceptions and i have no idea why.

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

07 Feb 2017 22:31

I've noticed a catalog error in the code for Venus in the default SolarSys.sc in the Data folders. An atmospheric component is listed twice, and even after deleting the duplicate, adding all the values up exceeds 100%.

Code for Venus in data>catalogs>catalogs0980.pak>planets>solarsys.sc
        Composition // values in percent
        {
            CO2 96.5
            N2  3.5
            SO2 0.015
            SO2 0.015
            Ar  0.007
            H2O 0.002
        }
Specs: Dell Inspiron 5547 (Laptop); 8 gigabytes of RAM; Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz; Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (That's all there is :( )

Unikran
Observer
Observer

08 Feb 2017 06:08

Hi, I'm running Space Engine .9.8.0. My frame rate is optimal for the majority of the time. However ususally when the clouds to planets load in full my frame rate tanks to around 3-4 until I shift the planet out of focus of the camera. This issue seems to cease whenever I disable clouds, but the problem is, with my specs it shouldn't be doing this.

Also another issue I face is if I switch to another application, 99 percent of the the frame rate will tank to about 1-4 when I return to space engine regardless if I'm in front of a planet with clouds or not, it will do this throughout the entire game until I restart. I've come to the conclusion that it shouldn't be doing this because a few years ago I was operating a lesser GPU on .9.7.4, so there's so reason it should be stuttering on my new GPU

Specs:

Intel Core i5-6500 @ 3.2 Ghz
Ram 8 gb
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760

Unikran
Observer
Observer

08 Feb 2017 06:10

Unikran wrote:
Hi, I'm running Space Engine .9.8.0. My frame rate is optimal for the majority of the time. However ususally when the clouds to planets load in full my frame rate tanks to around 3-4 until I shift the planet out of focus of the camera. This issue seems to cease whenever I disable clouds, but the problem is, with my specs it shouldn't be doing this.

Also another issue I face is if I switch to another application, 99 percent of the the frame rate will tank to about 1-4 when I return to space engine regardless if I'm in front of a planet with clouds or not, it will do this throughout the entire game until I restart. I've come to the conclusion that it shouldn't be doing this because a few years ago I was operating a lesser GPU on .9.7.4, so there's so reason it should be stuttering on my new GPU, as before hand on .9.7.4 I never suffered lag with my NVIDIA GeForce GTX550 Ti

Specs:

Intel Core i5-6500 @ 3.2 Ghz
Ram 8 gb
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760

Danielmas
Observer
Observer

08 Feb 2017 07:49

AidanTBM wrote:
I can't get a new laptop!

You can try some really early versions: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=182 (0.85 partially works on my notebook from 2009, with some easy tweaks)

somsoc
Observer
Observer

10 Feb 2017 22:38

Hi, I'm new to the forums but I've been using and enjoying SE for several years now. However, I haven't played it for a long while and have since got a new system. Well, of course SE is the first thing I want to use!

I have noticed that a few graphics options that I used to use have either been changed or removed and I'm just posting to ask about how I can replicate as close to my old settings as possible (ideally much better since the PC is more powerful), or what the reason for the UI/engine changes were.

Here is a screenshot of the last settings I used a year or two back, in v.971.

► Show Spoiler

And here are the settings recreated in .980 as closely as I can figure out
► Show Spoiler

First thing: HDR is not an option any more. Is it just always on automatically now?

I remember that I very much prefered the lens flare settings of astroniki2b... but they are no longer an option (and all the links to old forum posts are broken in google), what happened to that setting? Is it just astroniki2? I can probably recover the astroniki2b cfg files if they would work in the new engine.

Additionally I remember that I used to adjust the LOD slider a lot for different experiences/speed of gameplay, usually 2 or 3 (3 once landed for nice landscapes)... but now the slider only goes up to 1.0. What am I missing? Does the speed settings act in relation to the LOD slider now? I was hoping to use the old LOD3 as my base setting and improve it more than that.

Mostly I am worried that my card is not being correctly detected or there is some other issue as to why options are not visible :/

Any help appreciated!

somsoc
Observer
Observer

10 Feb 2017 23:29

Oh, and of course I should say, it is still (even more) astonishingly pretty! I have missed using this program!

I like pretty moons:
► Show Spoiler

I am just obsessive about matching/improving old settings I used to use :)

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

13 Feb 2017 09:10

somsoc wrote:
Source of the post I like pretty moons

somsoc, that is only a normal selena moon. There are terra moons, desert moons, moons with rings, binary planets, and more. The first planet with life i found was actually a terra moon i remember as larger than Earth around a gas giant :)
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

somsoc
Observer
Observer

13 Feb 2017 10:06

Xoran wrote:
somsoc wrote:
Source of the post I like pretty moons

somsoc, that is only a normal selena moon. There are terra moons, desert moons, moons with rings, binary planets, and more. The first planet with life i found was actually a terra moon i remember as larger than Earth around a gas giant :)

I know, I know. I've been hunting for exotic ones. But I like those plain selenas still!

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

13 Feb 2017 10:34

somsoc wrote:
Source of the post I know, I know. I've been hunting for exotic ones. But I like those plain selenas still!

If you look for exotic ones, try the Star Browser (Shift+F3)
starbrowser1.png
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

16 Feb 2017 01:49

spaceguy wrote:
Source of the post Right now though it's happening with massive stars with black holes that have accretion disks. 

EDIT:

Maybe this is related to autoexposure or lens flares?
somsoc wrote:
Source of the post First thing: HDR is not an option any more. Is it just always on automatically now?

Yes, it is always on now.
somsoc wrote:
Source of the post I remember that I very much prefered the lens flare settings of astroniki2b... but they are no longer an option (and all the links to old forum posts are broken in google), what happened to that setting? Is it just astroniki2? I can probably recover the astroniki2b cfg files if they would work in the new engine.

I don't know really, so much time has passed... Probably it was renamed to astroniki3 or 4.
somsoc wrote:
Source of the post Additionally I remember that I used to adjust the LOD slider a lot for different experiences/speed of gameplay, usually 2 or 3 (3 once landed for nice landscapes)... but now the slider only goes up to 1.0. What am I missing? Does the speed settings act in relation to the LOD slider now? I was hoping to use the old LOD3 as my base setting and improve it more than that.

LOD calculation has been changed, 1 now is like ~0.5 in older versions (despite on they used only integer values). LOD 2 is too extreme and must be used only with Solar System planets. You may set up it using the console command:
set LandLOD 2

somsoc
Observer
Observer

16 Feb 2017 04:54

Thanks for the reply :)

About the LOD setttings, I've changed it to 2 and it seems to give nice effects. By extreme do you mean it has bad performance or it creates extreme terrain types?

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

16 Feb 2017 14:38

SpaceEngineer wrote:
spaceguy wrote:
Source of the post Right now though it's happening with massive stars with black holes that have accretion disks. 

EDIT:

Maybe this is related to autoexposure or lens flares?

It still happens with autoexposure turned off. So it probably has to be either lens flare or corona.
I say corona because the same thing is happening with comets, and I think they work in the same way, no?