Ultimate space simulation software

TheRedstoneHive
Explorer
Explorer

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0

16 Sep 2018 12:55

vlad01 wrote:
TheRedstoneHive wrote:
Hi, I have just bought a new desktop computer. I have a 1080p monitor, which is probably why it sometimes runs a little slow, but anyway the stars aren't rendering correctly; I have set the magnitude to default but not very many stars load, and the stars don't get fainter as the distance increases, they just pop in and out of view.

Here is my SE log: se.log

Looks like SE is having a lot of trouble with your graphics card.  It's a quite old AMD card so perhaps it might explain it.

Thought that might be the problem. It is going to be hard to find a good one that isn't too expensive.

jwcrusan1918
Observer
Observer

16 Sep 2018 15:10

Okay, so SE was working just fine these last few days with the minor error of black screen, fixed by turning off comet tails. Now, the planets seem to be translucent and have no textures -- they're just white. Also, Nebulae seem to be invisible, some star clusters at the center of some galaxies aren't rendering, and some galaxies like the LMC and Black Eye Galaxy are invisible. I'm not sure it's my graphics card because of the fact that SE was working fine just a few days ago with all the proper textures and such. Any solutions?

TheRedstoneHive
Explorer
Explorer

16 Sep 2018 21:10

jwcrusan1918 wrote:
Okay, so SE was working just fine these last few days with the minor error of black screen, fixed by turning off comet tails. Now, the planets seem to be translucent and have no textures -- they're just white. Also, Nebulae seem to be invisible, some star clusters at the center of some galaxies aren't rendering, and some galaxies like the LMC and Black Eye Galaxy are invisible. I'm not sure it's my graphics card because of the fact that SE was working fine just a few days ago with all the proper textures and such. Any solutions?

Are all of your graphics drivers up to date? That probably wouldn't be the problem if your copy of SE has been working fine but it is good to update them anyway. With the nebula thing make sure you have nebulae on, and with the translucent planets I am not sure. The best thing I can think of is to re-install SpaceEngine though I would wait and see what other solutions might pop up.

JackDole
World Builder
World Builder

16 Sep 2018 23:53

jwcrusan1918 wrote:
Source of the post Any solution

Maybe you could post your 'se.log' (in the 'system' folder of SpaceEngine) and maybe one or two pictures.
(For the pictures you can use imgur, for the 'se.log' pastebin.)

elldissin
Observer
Observer

18 Sep 2018 09:20

DevilGhost,
It seems like I have the same issue, please check my post of [color=#969696][size=100][font=Roboto, sans-serif]26 Aug 2018 01:09 on page 75 of this thread. Is it similar?[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#969696][size=100][font=Roboto, sans-serif]Then it means that this bug is somehow reproduceable![/font][/size][/color]

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

18 Sep 2018 17:39

Remember that one specular reflections bug with the Oceania's a few versions ago?

Apparenetly extremely deep Terra's (using my shader mod) have it too:

Attachments
RS 610353-914-7-1661705-161.7z
(117.68 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Specs: Dell Inspiron 5547 (Laptop); 8 gigabytes of RAM; Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz; Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (That's all there is :( )

Swingmehard
Observer
Observer

21 Sep 2018 06:49

I just installed space Engine but it does not start and message it gives me is this

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: SpaceEngine.exe
Application Version: 0.9.8.0
Application Timestamp: 59982882
Fault Module Name: atioglxx.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.14.10.10524
Fault Module Timestamp: 4d40a75b
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00097bbd
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

My guess is that my video card is not strong enough but is it enough to prevent the software to start ????

Regards
Don

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

21 Sep 2018 07:54

Swingmehard wrote:
Source of the post My guess is that my video card is not strong enough but is it enough to prevent the software to start

ATI OpenGL library 6.14.10.10524. I see references of it dating back in 2011, and OS Version says you have Windows 7 SP1.
That's all I can say about your card with that crash report, ATI/AMD with windows 7 drivers from 2011 :)
Someone apparently solved a similar issue on another game, by disabling triple buffering from the Catalyst control panel, but I wouldn't guarantee positive results here.
If those are the latest drivers you can find for your system, you could try and reinstall them.
You could try with a previous version of Spaceengine too: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=182
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

Nirklars
Observer
Observer

23 Sep 2018 08:12

Hello again, I posted a little over a year ago and have still not been able to solve it.
The only way for me to record video footage from SpaceEngine has been using Nvidia's built in shadow play but it's not optimal.

Does anyone know any solution to this bug?
Can some alternate terrain rendering be configured?
I'd really appreciate the help :)

Best Regards

[quote="Nirklars"]I'm having trouble recording in Open Broadcaster OBS. When I have it running in the background even when not recording strange graphical glitches start appearing, get worse and eventually lead to a crash.

It appears only on procedural planets.
On startup everything looks fine for a couple of seconds. First black squares in the terrain appears, then the terrain height gets randomized (spiky and corrupted?) and then even more spiky. Eventually the terrain disappears and weird texture distortions appear. The program starts locking up and has to be terminated or if left alone crashes.

Youtube video showing the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW5M6aILI9g
[youtube]dW5M6aILI9g[/youtube]
http://i.imgur.com/vv6lsvi.jpg

Youtube video with PlanetVSFetching set to true:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ8Xu2PSJoY
[youtube]jJ8Xu2PSJoY[/youtube]
http://i.imgur.com/1swVoYF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cPDlQeN.jpg

I've tried changing:
PlanetVSFetching true
This makes it take a little longer before it crashes and the glitches aren't as bad.

And reducing/increasing
VideoMemorySize 2048
and
VideoMemorySize 1024

Asus GTX1060 3GB Nvidia driver 372.90
I also tried some older drivers without any change.

I've also attached my se.log file.
Hope you can figure out the reason and keep up the awesome development!

Best Regards
Nick[/quote]

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

23 Sep 2018 10:57

Nirklars, what problems did you have with the integrated video capture feature (F9)?
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

Nirklars
Observer
Observer

24 Sep 2018 02:47

Thank you for your response Mosfet.

I don't have any problems with the integrated video capture however using that I'm unable to add overlays to the recording, use more advanced features or stream presentations live.

The problem is also very peculiar so finding some kind of solution would be helpful for other users. Is this a known issue that can be reproduced or something that only I'm encountering? If I were to suspect something I would think that it is some kind of graphics memory glitch as it gets worse over time and eventually causes a crash.

The problem remains on older versions of space engine. I have tested:
- 0.9.8 RC2

Best Regards

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

24 Sep 2018 15:00

N0B0DY wrote:
Atmospheric Extinction does not work fro Spacecrafts:
► Show Spoiler

I was trying to recreate the famous Rogue 1 Death Star rise scene :)

Poor 0980 users:
Atmospheric Extinction Does work for spacecrafts:
► Show Spoiler

Open your main-user.cfg and navigate to:
// Depth buffer options
DepthBuffer
{
    DepthBufferMode         1        // Z-buffer mode (0 - standard, 1 - reversed, 2 - log in vertex shader, 3 - log in pixel shader) (remove cache to apply changes)
    ShipDrawMode            4         // use 1 for DepthBufferMode = 0, and 2...4 otherwise
    ClipHeight              0.001    // collision detection height in kilometers
    ClipZNear               0.005    // near plane clip distance (ignored in reversed and logarithmic z-buffer mode)
}

and change ShipDrawMode to 1:
// Depth buffer options
DepthBuffer
{
    DepthBufferMode         1        // Z-buffer mode (0 - standard, 1 - reversed, 2 - log in vertex shader, 3 - log in pixel shader) (remove cache to apply changes)
    ShipDrawMode            1         // use 1 for DepthBufferMode = 0, and 2...4 otherwise
    ClipHeight              0.001    // collision detection height in kilometers
    ClipZNear               0.005    // near plane clip distance (ignored in reversed and logarithmic z-buffer mode)
}

8-)

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

25 Sep 2018 01:45

Nirklars wrote:
Source of the post Is this a known issue that can be reproduced or something that only I'm encountering? If I were to suspect something I would think that it is some kind of graphics memory glitch as it gets worse over time and eventually causes a crash

I'm afraid I can't help with that program. Judging by a quick search in forums, it appears that someone else is using OBS but apparently didn't have issues. See Video settings and recording

vlad01
Explorer
Explorer

25 Sep 2018 04:33

What about afterburner or fraps?  I use both of them and they both work well.

Btw since when did the built in recorder work?  I thought that wasn't even fully implemented yet as mine does nothing when pressing record.

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

25 Sep 2018 16:09

vlad01 wrote:
Source of the post mine does nothing when pressing record.

Video capture feature works well in 0980. I just made this video test, wandering around for about 2 minutes. I learned that if it doesn't record, I have to check for wrong settings in windows codec I'm trying to use, so before recording, always check "configure codec".
For this I used SpaceEngine in fullscreen mode 1280x720 and a Xvid MPEG-4 codec configured accordingly (Xvid HD 720, single pass encoding, 60 fps). It really depends on what encoders are installed in your windows system and hardware capabilities.