Ultimate space simulation software

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0

31 Jan 2017 17:55

Does it crash even if you use PageUp/PageDown keys instead?
Could you please attach your se.log file which is located in your SpaceEngine/system/ folder, as requested in the topmost message of this thread?
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Astroman
Observer
Observer

31 Jan 2017 18:11

Sure Will.
Attachments
se.log
(58.91 KiB) Downloaded 254 times

Astroman
Observer
Observer

31 Jan 2017 18:12

Sorry for double posting but I haven't tried with the page up and down keys yet. 

An'shur
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

04 Feb 2017 04:45

Hello, I have a major problem.

Besides that, I also have few fairly minor issues I can live with. For example: Planets are sometimes glitchy in editor mode, but it's good in planetarium. SE crashes when I fly like crazy in globular clusters, nebulae or galactic cores. My computer does not like these, but everything is fine when being careful and not being too hard on the game. It works well with default settings (Only change I did is turning off motion blur of stars)

A first, here are my labtop specifications:
Windows:       Windows 8 Pro
Processor:     Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
RAM:             4.00 GB (2.98 GB usable)
System type:  32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Labtop:         HP6560B

And now my major problem.
I have created several systems from the game Freelancer intended to become an addon one day.
Here are changes I have made outside of the addons folder: data/models/nebulae - I unzipped NebulaeModels0980.pak and copied m1-92 script. I created a .cfg file for that one, changed the name of the copied nebula and zipped it back so I could use it. I have also extracted textures and all necessary files for that particular nebula and copied to the addons folder. This worked as it was meant to.. No issues at all yet.
The problem itself came out of sudden with no apparent bad move from my side...  I create a star in the addons/catalogs/stars and go ingame to export it's comets and use them for that star systems in the addons/catalogs/planets. I start SE and it crashes. When I remove the file from /planets it works well again. I can still make systems with planets and without comets, but it is unrealistic. This happens regardless the star type, I tried orange main sequence, white subgiant and white dwarf. SE even handles six wormholes present in one particular system without issues, but comets seem to crash the game.
And the most confusing facts are that I have created around forty systems before the issue started to happen. And they pretty much all have comets except a white supergiant star (SE did not generate them). No problems with these, but I cannot create realistic comet-filled systems at the moment. se.log also does not describe the issue in any way, unless I haven't noticed.

Here is the crash report (Typical SpaceEngine.exe has stopped working)

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name:     APPCRASH
Application Name:       SpaceEngine.exe
Application Version:    0.9.8.0
Application Timestamp:  579b9616
Fault Module Name:      SpaceEngine.exe
Fault Module Version:   0.9.8.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 579b9616
Exception Code:         c0000005
Exception Offset:       002389c7
OS Version:             6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID:              1029
Additional Information: 55bd
Additional Information: 55bdb125e5f5eebba32ff4470f6d6db1
Additional Information: d8e7
Additional Information: d8e728c

The log, if it can help:
se.log
(41.27 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Comet crash occurs with Dublin system

Edit: Reinstalling SE and throwing my addons and changes back into it did not help.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

04 Feb 2017 05:24

An'shur,
maybe your comet script contains too many objects.
The same problem I have when I use asteroid belts with too many objects.
I guess the number of possible nonprocedural objects is limited by the available memory.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

04 Feb 2017 05:29

An'shur, you should solve syntax errors in scripts first, because they could cause an error chain which ultimately could result in your crashes.
[MT] "addons/catalogs/planets/Freelancer-NewTokyo.sc" line 439:    ERROR: Syntax error '.21634'
[MT] "addons/catalogs/planets/SG-Chulaksystem.sc" line 4102:    ERROR: Syntax error '.788'
[MT] "addons/catalogs/planets/SG-Delmaksystem.sc" line 7073:    WARNING: Duplicate body found at line 7399    "S24"  ---  "S24",  second removed
[MT] "addons/catalogs/planets/SG-Delmaksystem.sc" line 7182:    WARNING: Duplicate body found at line 7508    "S25"  ---  "S25",  second removed
[MT] "addons/catalogs/planets/SG-Delmaksystem.sc" line 7291:    WARNING: Duplicate body found at line 7616    "S26"  ---  "S26",  second removed
[MT] "addons/catalogs/planets/SG-Delmaksystem.sc" line 9907:    WARNING: Duplicate body found at line 10015    "S47"  ---  "S47",  second removed

[MT] ERROR: Body "P3X-888 10" have unknown parent object "P3X-888 10-P3X-888 10.1"
[MT] ERROR: Body "P3X-888 10.1" have unknown parent object "P3X-888 10-P3X-888 10.1"

Last two could be related to a missing barycenter.
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

An'shur
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

04 Feb 2017 07:29

JackDole wrote:
An'shur,
maybe your comet script contains too many objects.
The same problem I have when I use asteroid belts with too many objects.
I guess the number of possible nonprocedural objects is limited by the available memory.

SE generates up to 1000 asteroids and often around 150 comets in one system. I tend to keep them all. But it may have been a problem with memory somewhow, because I have removed all addons I am not playing with at the moment and it has not crashed yet (for 15 minutes :) )

Mosfet wrote:
An'shur, you should solve syntax errors in scripts first, because they could cause an error chain which ultimately could result in your crashes.
[MT] "addons/catalogs/planets/Freelancer-NewTokyo.sc" line 439:    ERROR: Syntax error '.21634'
[MT] "addons/catalogs/planets/SG-Chulaksystem.sc" line 4102:    ERROR: Syntax error '.788'
[MT] "addons/catalogs/planets/SG-Delmaksystem.sc" line 7073:    WARNING: Duplicate body found at line 7399    "S24"  ---  "S24",  second removed
[MT] "addons/catalogs/planets/SG-Delmaksystem.sc" line 7182:    WARNING: Duplicate body found at line 7508    "S25"  ---  "S25",  second removed
[MT] "addons/catalogs/planets/SG-Delmaksystem.sc" line 7291:    WARNING: Duplicate body found at line 7616    "S26"  ---  "S26",  second removed
[MT] "addons/catalogs/planets/SG-Delmaksystem.sc" line 9907:    WARNING: Duplicate body found at line 10015    "S47"  ---  "S47",  second removed

[MT] ERROR: Body "P3X-888 10" have unknown parent object "P3X-888 10-P3X-888 10.1"
[MT] ERROR: Body "P3X-888 10.1" have unknown parent object "P3X-888 10-P3X-888 10.1"

Last two could be related to a missing barycenter.

Fixed most of them..
Is there any quick way of finding the syntax errors? It may be whatever and anywhere.. semimajor axis, randomization, percentage of some gas...
Duplicate body reports were different objects with the same name, fixed now.
The last two errors were indeed bodies without a barycenter.

Thank you two :)

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

04 Feb 2017 08:01

An'shur wrote:
Source of the post SE generates up to 1000 asteroids and often around 150 comets in one system.

Procedural generated objects do not exist when they are not displayed. Then they do not occupy any memory.
Scripted objects are completely loaded into memory. And if the memory is insufficient, they can not be loaded, and the computer crashes.
This should not happen, of course, but it happens. At least with ATI graphics cards.

In any case, I think this is the reason. With me, the computer always crashed when there were too many objects.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

04 Feb 2017 13:06

An'shur wrote:
Source of the post Is there any quick way of finding the syntax errors? It may be whatever and anywhere.. semimajor axis, randomization, percentage of some gas...

I copy-pasted those errors from your se.log file, wich is refreshed every time you run SE, by simply searching for "ERROR" or "WARNING" so, yeah that's it.
Part of the warnings are visible in-game when you access the console window (ctrl + ~), but all related infos are written into the log.

SpaceHopper
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

04 Feb 2017 13:17

This planet seems to actually be tidally locked (I know from pressing Shift+R and watching both the main sun and the other sun), but the UI states it has a solar day of 42 years:
scr03259.jpg

RS 12??-3161-7-1946316-110 B4
Replace ?? with whatever you have for objects in the Andromeda Galaxy. I don't know its default galaxy number, because of adding Kexitt's and other galaxies.
The Genius Prayer: "God grant me the courage to change the things I cannot accept, serenity to accept the things I've changed and the wisdom to know I'm different."

Golden Rule: Do unto others before they get wind of it and do it unto you.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

04 Feb 2017 14:15

SpaceHopper, given the nature of the addons you're mentioning, planets are very different. In a vanilla 0980 the planet with the same ID it's indeed tidal locked in a 42 days period.

scr00004.jpg

SpaceHopper
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

04 Feb 2017 19:37

Oh. Forgot about M 31 (Andromeda) being changed by Kexitt's new models.
The Genius Prayer: "God grant me the courage to change the things I cannot accept, serenity to accept the things I've changed and the wisdom to know I'm different."

Golden Rule: Do unto others before they get wind of it and do it unto you.

stsk
Observer
Observer

05 Feb 2017 18:25

Hey guys,

I can't seem to get SE to run on my machine. The program starts, but all planets are invisible. I'm running Windows 10 64bit and the graphics card is a gtx860m. I updated to the newest drivers, though it doesn't work on any of the older ones either. Here is the system log file.
Attachments
se.log
(76.81 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

VirgoServal
Observer
Observer

06 Feb 2017 09:12

My screen goes completely black - UI, screen, everything - when i get too close to some stars. Help!

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

06 Feb 2017 09:52

Julian wrote:
Source of the post I think I remember this being mentioned on the old forum: is it currently not possible to add glow map textures to procedural planets? When I tried it, the only thing it did was make all lava flows glow green.

Why no? It's possible, read the adding planets manual.
stsk wrote:
Source of the post I can't seem to get SE to run on my machine. The program starts, but all planets are invisible. I'm running Windows 10 64bit and the graphics card is a gtx860m. I updated to the newest drivers, though it doesn't work on any of the older ones either. Here is the system log file.

You have attached a log of some successful run.
VirgoServal wrote:
Source of the post My screen goes completely black - UI, screen, everything - when i get too close to some stars. Help!

It's impossible to help you with the info you have provided. Please be more specific, attach the log file, describe you system specs and driver version, write name of a problematic star, etc.