Ultimate space simulation software

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0

19 Jun 2018 10:49

Circles [GD] wrote:
Source of the post I also saw some videos that involved animations, such as exploding nebulae,

Supernovae (Exploding nebulae) are not in 0.9.8.0.
Circles [GD] wrote:
Source of the post I did see some 0.9.9.0 trailers, and I know that those updates haven't came yet. I was trying to refer to the present update.

Okay.
Circles [GD] wrote:
Source of the post I have explored several other planets randomly, and it was nothing like what showed up in those videos.

Weird.
Circles [GD] wrote:
Source of the post and besides, thank you for that link

Your welcome!

It seems that I can't help you here sadly, I checked your se.log and found nothing, so it might be something wrong with your laptop. :( your just gonna have to wait 'till Mosfet figures out what's going on with your se.log.
I'm good when it comes to Physics, Algebra, Relativity, Space, and SpaceEngine. But I could still use a LOT of help on the things I still don't know. So I hope I get a lot of help on how all that works, here!

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

19 Jun 2018 14:20

Circles [GD], thanks for the links.
I don't see anything peculiar in your se.log, except several localization changes :)
For the desert you shared as last image, thanks to coordinates, I managed to reach more or less your camera location, in the first image.
I maxed all graphic features my laptop can afford for that screenshot.
I have few considerations.
First, scorched deserts are mostly featureless in 0980, as you can see.
Your graphic chip dates back in 2013, used by AMD in integrated CPU/GPU all-in-one processors, also known as APU, mainly for middle range laptops at the time.
As such, it shares its graphic memory with the rest of the system. Unfortunately doesn't have the recommended amount of dedicated VRAM.
That said, it doesn't seem too bad, judging by your images. Take into account that SpaceEngine works mostly by using your graphic card, so that's where usually the problem is.
A more recent driver than yours, which dates back in July 2015, could give you better performances (or not). I haven't found news about that, though, and I'm afraid it's very unlikely.

As a counterproof, you could try and reach Proxima 4, the second image, to spot any difference for you computer.
You can also copy-paste the following location in your Locations window, it should place your camera in the same spot:
Place    "Proxima 4"
{
    Ver        980
    Body    "Proxima 4"
    Parent    "Proxima"
    Date    "2017.05.05 20:12:19.55"
    Pos        (-00000000000000005C7F8FF3BD64224B -0000000000000001267EDA30664D7B5F -000000000000000078C4D35CAD8EF63B)
    Rot        (-0.5965917120951825 0.4426473443299459 -0.5300757652548552 0.4088536910759947)
    Vel        5.4734297e-014
    Mode    2
}

Rest assured that those videos were done at the time with PC matching the high range of recommended specifications, which is not our case.
Attachments
scr00020.jpg
scr00022.jpg
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

Circles [GD]
Observer
Observer

20 Jun 2018 10:14

[quote="Propulsion Disk"][quote="Circles [GD]"][post]21025[/post] I also saw some videos that involved animations, such as exploding nebulae,[/quote]
Supernovae (Exploding nebulae) are not in 0.9.8.0.
[quote="Circles [GD]"][post]21025[/post] I did see some 0.9.9.0 trailers, and I know that those updates haven't came yet. I was trying to refer to the present update.[/quote]

Okay.
[quote="Circles [GD]"][post]21025[/post] I have explored several other planets randomly, and it was nothing like what showed up in those videos.[/quote]

Weird.
[quote="Circles [GD]"][post]21025[/post] and besides, thank you for that link[/quote]

Your welcome!

It seems that I can't help you here sadly, I checked your se.log and found nothing, so it might be something wrong with your laptop. :( your just gonna have to wait 'till [b]Mosfet [/b]figures out what's going on with your se.log.[/quote]

that is alright man! Big thanks to you and Mosfet!

Mr. Abner
Explorer
Explorer

20 Jun 2018 17:22

Circles [GD], I think you've just landed on some rather plain planets in some rather plain areas. Look for some mountain ranges from orbit before landing. There is an awful lot of flat planet out there, finding that "spectacular" vista takes a bit of searching.

N0B0DY
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

21 Jun 2018 02:57

vlad01 wrote:
I do as well as my 4GB 980 seems to run out in many applications including SE.

It's a pitty that NVidia decided to equip the standard 980s with "only" 4GBs of VRAM. Only 1GB more than the previous generation i.e 33% increase. So they learned from their mistakes and fitted 100% more VRAM on the Pascal 1080s.

vlad01
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

21 Jun 2018 04:54

N0B0DY wrote:
vlad01 wrote:
I do as well as my 4GB 980 seems to run out in many applications including SE.

It's a pitty that NVidia decided to equip the standard 980s with "only" 4GBs of VRAM. Only 1GB more than the previous generation i.e 33% increase. So they learned from their mistakes and fitted 100% more VRAM on the Pascal 1080s.

Yeah but I feel they are still not pushing the envelop after that.  Considering Radeon had 8GB well before nvidia ever did and you can even buy the 16GB Frontier edition for 1k USD, which is the same price as the Ti and regular vega here in Australia even with conversion factored in, too bad it's not match with equal performance.

I think this texture compression in the next update might help with many of the VRAM limited cards that SE users might happen to have and thus at least working around the issues.

Circles [GD]
Observer
Observer

21 Jun 2018 10:43

[quote="Mr. Abner"][ref]Circles [GD][/ref], I think you've just landed on some rather plain planets in some rather plain areas. Look for some mountain ranges from orbit before landing. There is an awful lot of flat planet out there, finding that "spectacular" vista takes a bit of searching.[/quote]

I have visited many planets dude. Right now, I don't really have that terrain problem anymore because I have installed other addons. But those are for a very few planets, and some random generation on other planets that are, once again, due to addons. I have finally resolved the issue with the terrain. But now, my main issue is planets in general, they disappear once I click on "go to location". and if it tries to load, it looks like its shredded to pieces. That is my laptop problem though, and I cannot do anything about it. All I can do is visit that one planet which is the only one that works. Anyways, how can I actually generate what happens in the other videos that I see, excluding the terrain? Like the "natural view", for example, the way black holes are shown in those videos, the ones with the accretion disks, and many more. Pardon my English, that's not all I speak.

Mr. Abner
Explorer
Explorer

21 Jun 2018 17:42

Circles [GD] wrote:
Mr. Abner wrote:
Circles [GD], I think you've just landed on some rather plain planets in some rather plain areas. Look for some mountain ranges from orbit before landing. There is an awful lot of flat planet out there, finding that "spectacular" vista takes a bit of searching.

I have visited many planets dude. Right now, I don't really have that terrain problem anymore because I have installed other addons. But those are for a very few planets, and some random generation on other planets that are, once again, due to addons. I have finally resolved the issue with the terrain. But now, my main issue is planets in general, they disappear once I click on "go to location". and if it tries to load, it looks like its shredded to pieces. That is my laptop problem though, and I cannot do anything about it. All I can do is visit that one planet which is the only one that works. Anyways, how can I actually generate what happens in the other videos that I see, excluding the terrain? Like the "natural view", for example, the way black holes are shown in those videos, the ones with the accretion disks, and many more. Pardon my English, that's not all I speak.

Don't know what to tell you, other than the most "scenic" black holes are the monsters at the centre of galaxies, and that laptops in general do not have the best graphics chips or large amounts of VRAM. And all the various addons can really tax the best of desktop machines (and don't always play nice with each other). I've been sticking with stock 0.9.8.0 S.E. with no addons (apart from various ships) because it is the most stable for me. I didn't even bother with 0.9.8.0e because I never spend any time around Earth. :)

Hope you get things worked out, because I love seeing the videos people put together with this.

Circles [GD]
Observer
Observer

21 Jun 2018 18:50

[quote="Mr. Abner"][quote="Circles [GD]"]
[quote="Mr. Abner"][ref]Circles [GD][/ref], I think you've just landed on some rather plain planets in some rather plain areas. Look for some mountain ranges from orbit before landing. There is an awful lot of flat planet out there, finding that "spectacular" vista takes a bit of searching.[/quote]

I have visited many planets dude. Right now, I don't really have that terrain problem anymore because I have installed other addons. But those are for a very few planets, and some random generation on other planets that are, once again, due to addons. I have finally resolved the issue with the terrain. But now, my main issue is planets in general, they disappear once I click on "go to location". and if it tries to load, it looks like its shredded to pieces. That is my laptop problem though, and I cannot do anything about it. All I can do is visit that one planet which is the only one that works. Anyways, how can I actually generate what happens in the other videos that I see, excluding the terrain? Like the "natural view", for example, the way black holes are shown in those videos, the ones with the accretion disks, and many more. Pardon my English, that's not all I speak.[/quote]

Don't know what to tell you, other than the most "scenic" black holes are the monsters at the centre of galaxies, and that laptops in general do not have the best graphics chips or large amounts of VRAM. And all the various addons can really tax the best of desktop machines (and don't always play nice with each other). I've been sticking with stock 0.9.8.0 S.E. with no addons (apart from various ships) because it is the most stable for me. I didn't even bother with 0.9.8.0e because I never spend any time around Earth. :)

Hope you get things worked out, because I love seeing the videos people put together with this.[/quote]

thank you so much! So you mentioned that you don't have any addons.. and things work very well for you? I know that you have a strong VRAM and computer, but without any addons, are you still experiencing the exact same thing you come across in those fantastic videos? All you do is buy a good computer, install Space Engine, and everything works fine? If I do that, will it be the same? Thanks.

Circles [GD]
Observer
Observer

21 Jun 2018 18:53

[img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/363775829681111042/459530743929110549/SpaceEngine_1366x768_6_20_2018_8_57_24_AM.png[/img][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/363775829681111042/459530790645137409/SpaceEngine_1366x768_6_20_2018_8_57_56_AM.png[/img]
:ok_hand:

Mr. Abner
Explorer
Explorer

22 Jun 2018 03:38

Circles [GD] wrote:
ImageImage
:ok_hand:

No argument, those do not look quite right. I would start with removing all addons, deleting the SpaceEngine\cache folder, and see what you get at these same locations. If things look more or less normal, then start adding addons one by one until something goes wrong. (As I alluded to earlier, sometimes addons do not play well with each other.)

I think other people much smarter than me (and more familiar with the inner workings of S.E.) have already looked at your log file and found nothing out of the ordinary.

Circles [GD]
Observer
Observer

22 Jun 2018 09:43

[quote="Mr. Abner"][quote="Circles [GD]"][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/363775829681111042/459530743929110549/SpaceEngine_1366x768_6_20_2018_8_57_24_AM.png[/img][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/363775829681111042/459530790645137409/SpaceEngine_1366x768_6_20_2018_8_57_56_AM.png[/img]
:ok_hand:[/quote]

No argument, those do not look quite right. I would start with removing all addons, deleting the SpaceEngine\cache folder, and see what you get at these same locations. If things look more or less normal, then start adding addons one by one until something goes wrong. (As I alluded to earlier, sometimes addons do not play well with each other.)

I think other people much smarter than me (and more familiar with the inner workings of S.E.) have already looked at your log file and found nothing out of the ordinary.[/quote]

I see. I guess all that I need to deal with is getting a new and good pc. Otherwise, thank you so much to you and the other mods for your time :)

Mr. Abner
Explorer
Explorer

22 Jun 2018 15:13

Circles [GD] wrote:
Source of the post I see. I guess all that I need to deal with is getting a new and good pc. Otherwise, thank you so much to you and the other mods for your time :)

That's not exactly what I said.  Although it is true that laptops generally do not have higher-end video cards, it may still work, and pics you posted on the previous page look fairly normal.

What I suggested is that you try plain-Jane Space Engine 0.9.8.0 with no addons. If that works for you, try adding addons one at a time until something goes wrong, like the pics above.

Oh... if you have an Intel graphics chip, there are known issues: one of which is having comet tails on can cause all kinds of problems. Keep comet tails turned off.

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

22 Jun 2018 16:40

He has an APU from AMD with shared VRAM from 2013, with drivers from 2015, apparently with no more updates.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

Circles [GD]
Observer
Observer

22 Jun 2018 17:14

[quote="Mosfet"]He has an APU from AMD with shared VRAM from 2013, with drivers from 2015, apparently with no more updates.[/quote]

well, I guess I don't know my specs very well, but thanks dude