Free planetarium

Gnargenox
Pioneer
Pioneer

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0

30 Mar 2017 18:05

Simply amazing work from Vladimir yet again! I'm kinda glad this was a problem for enough other people that it was addressed. I will now do a little testing to see if selecting the moon in the video I showed above will prevent it from disappearing and confirm (perhaps) that indeed it is the same bug that was fixed in the next version. Thank you all for your input here and in the past!
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

Angelica Pickles
Observer
Observer

31 Mar 2017 08:59

Simply amazing work from Vladimir yet again! I'm kinda glad this was a problem for enough other people that it was addressed. I will now do a little testing to see if selecting the moon in the video I showed above will prevent it from disappearing and confirm (perhaps) that indeed it is the same bug that was fixed in the next version. Thank you all for your input here and in the past!

Me too! will be glad to have that annoying bug fixed. So far I've noticed 4 types of similar bugs:
1. (FIXED) Some planets disappear when camera is in its shadow and not selected.
2. Some 3D objects disappear when in planets shadow, or sun falls below Horizon. (Selected or Not selected)
3. Some moons disappear when in planets shadow (Just as Gnargenox reported, happens with me as well but I think they disappear even when selected too? Not sure...)
4. Comets in binary system only appear if selected. (An old bug)
So not sure if all these are related in some way but at least one is fixed, we shall see in next release.
A.P

Gnargenox
Pioneer
Pioneer

31 Mar 2017 11:53

Another slight problem I've noticed, since you mentioned selecting objects, is I can not select one thing if it is in front of another thing. For example an asteroid passing in front of a planet can not be clicked on and highlighted. I must move my position so there is empty space behind the asteroid in order to select it.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

Angelica Pickles
Observer
Observer

31 Mar 2017 13:49

Another slight problem I've noticed, since you mentioned selecting objects, is I can not select one thing if it is in front of another thing. For example an asteroid passing in front of a planet can not be clicked on and highlighted. I must move my position so there is empty space behind the asteroid in order to select it.

Yep i have that exact same issue too, i think that has been bug for the last few versions of SE.
While I'm here i may as well mention another bug i have, this time with the UI. I sometimes cannot open the solar system browser and some other menus and I have to tap the button 2 or 3 times for them to open or just hold the button down until it opens, this happens more often when I am in between systems  / out in deep space or outside the galaxy.
A.P

Mudkip909
Observer
Observer

01 Apr 2017 15:48

How do I go up while looking around? like, I am not using a spaceship right now, and I am In free move mode. I want to go up from the surface of earth and be able to look around cuz each time I do it I go backwards. help?

Mosfet
Pioneer
Pioneer

01 Apr 2017 17:14

Sorry, I can't figure out what's your position. you can use W,A,S,D keys to go forward, left, backward, right. Use R, F to go up, down. Personally I rarely use the mouse and I prefer 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 from the numeric keypad to rotate the camera.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

Gnargenox
Pioneer
Pioneer

01 Apr 2017 18:13

Number 1 on the keypad makes you go up. 0 makes you go down. Using the mouse wheel increases or decreases the speed at which you move. #4 strafes left, 6 strafes right, 7 rolls left, 9 rolls right. 8 tilts camera up, 2 tilts down. I forget what #5 or even if #3 does anything

chops2333
Observer
Observer

01 Apr 2017 19:57

Please help me! My computer meets the minimum standard for SE, but after I install SE0.980 whenever I TRY TO open it a window pops up that says : Space Engine has stopped working. 0.970 doesnt have this problem.
Attachments
se.log
(38.69 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

01 Apr 2017 23:22

chops2333 wrote:
Source of the post Please help me! My computer meets the minimum standard for SE, but after I install SE0.980 whenever I TRY TO open it a window pops up that says : Space Engine has stopped working. 0.970 doesnt have this problem.

Have you tried deleting the whole SpaceEngine folder, then reinstalling SE?
Also, what are your specs? :)
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Mosfet
Pioneer
Pioneer

02 Apr 2017 08:04

chops2333, according your se.log you have 2GB RAM, a GeForce 9300 GE/PCIe/SSE2 with original Microsoft drivers with  256MB phisical Video RAM. I'm afraid it doesn't meet requirements for SE 0980 as reported on the main page.
That said, you could at least install latest Nvidia drivers for your Geforce, which apparently are 342.01, dated December 2016.
English version here.
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Apr 2017 01:33

Gnargenox wrote:
roughcollie I would suggest grabbing a musical instrument and panhandling at the bus stop in order to upgrade your video card.
$25 brings you light-years ahead, well close to it.
compare1.jpg

What site is that?  I want to compare the 2 GB GT 730 GDDR5 to the 4 GB GT 730 DDR3.  I run a dual display set up but I use one screen for checking email and chatting and the other for SE.  Would the 2 GB GDDR5 be much better than the 4 GB DDR3, even going out a few years (I expect to keep this card for 3-5 years) and allowing for new versions of SE to need more VRAM?

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Apr 2017 01:39

Gnargenox wrote:
Don't anyone throw a brick at me, but I'm willing to bet it is your video card drivers.

With your system you should not have to tweak anything. You might have trouble recording video in LOD 1 while moving.... but you can adjust anything as much as you'd want with hardly a whine out of your machine. See my specs below to compare.

I might also suggest modifying your virtual memory settings manually instead of allowing windows to set it. I only have 2GB of installed physical memory, so I set my Page File Space up to allocate 9GB of room on my hard-drive to be set aside. I think it is in Control Panel, Performance Information and Tools, Advanced Tools, Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows, Advanced Tab, and under Virtual Memory press the "Change" button. In the next window that pops up make sure "Automatically manage paging file sizes for all drives" is NOT selected. Then hit the "Custom" check box and enter numbers for an initial size (I said 4GB) and maximum size (I said 9GB) and press "Set". System managed size and No Paging File should not be selected.

Even though windows recommends only 3GB of space I am currently using 6GB. Windows will use space on your hard drive as if it were RAM. A Solid State drive will NOT appreciate you doing this, they are not the same as memory chips, so the risk is yours.

Then update your video drivers, just because.

By the way, I ran into the same issue.  My motherboard's BIOS only supports a max of 2 GB of RAM, but I found a hacked BIOS which takes up to 4 GB (although only 3.3 GB of it can be used, even in a 64-bit OS, which I'm not going to do.) I thought having a huge page file would help so I cleared 8 GB on my HD to use as a page file but the dang thing is so slow it doesn't even matter.  And flash makes me blue screen if it tries to access memory that has already been swapped so I just disabled flash- don't want it don't need it.  I am ordering the GT 730 (just trying to decide between which version to get) and Crucial 4 GB dual channel memory.  I have a dual display set up and since the GT 730 I was looking at only has one DVI port, I'm also likely getting an HDMI to DVI adapter.

I have Win XP x32 Home but likely going to upgrade to Win 10 x32 Home or run a dual boot system.  I already bought the OS and a 2 TB HD.

My motherboard limitations are 2 GB RAM (but 4 GB with hacked bios- actually 3.3 GB), and it won't take anything more recent than PCI-e 2.0 and I won't buy used electronics stuff because you don't get a warranty with that.  That's why I settled on the GT 730 I just need to decide which version to get, and I'm getting the 4 GB memory and the HDMI to DVI adapter.

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Apr 2017 01:46

Xoran wrote:
roughcollie, Ii you think the crashes happen because your computer aren't very powerful, try lowering loading speed. If that did not work, have you tried deleting the whole SpaceEngine folder, then reinstalling Space Engine?
Recommended specs is:

• Quad-core 3 GHz
  • 8 GB RAM
  • Nvidia or ADM/ATI 2 GB VRAM
  • Windows 7/8/8.1/10.
Minimum setting is:
  • Dual-core 2Ghz
  • 4 GB RAM
  • Nvidia or ADM/ATI 1 GB VRAM
  • Windows XP

Xoran, I'm not sure 4 GB RAM is necessary at all, I have been running it fine on 2 GB while also browsing on my other monitor.  It wasn't even using that much memory- I had it in a 1024x768 window.  It was gobbling up VRAM though so I decided to turn off AA and AF and that fixed that (and also lowered GPU temps and usage.)

Whis812
Observer
Observer

09 Apr 2017 23:46

Hey guys, I need help please :) Space engine keeps crashing on me after a few minutes, not sure if it's rendering too much or what but I get lag once I zoom into a planet and then I get the error message saying that space engine has stopped working.

PC Specs:

CPU: i7-4820K 3.7Ghz
RAM: 16GB
GPU: GTX 980Ti

I will also add my se.log

PS. I have the Ultra solar pack addon not sure if that has something to do with it as well.
Attachments
se.log
(71.89 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

Mosfet
Pioneer
Pioneer

10 Apr 2017 09:23

There are some errors in shaders. Delete folders under the spaceengine /cache directory, then try running Space Engine again.
If this still happens, try reinstalling Nvidia graphics drivers. I see you have latest drivers (381.65), if it's started just few days ago it could be related indeed to this driver version. Then I'd suggest to revert to a previous version like 378.92 to see if the problem persist.