Ultimate space simulation software

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0

10 Apr 2017 13:04

Just recently have experienced the wording and graphics not displaying correctly on the menu screens for locations saved. Other pop up menu screens are not affected it seems. Depending on the order I call up the menu, the locations saved menu will display partially or fully. Buttons not showing still function if I click the appropriate spot. Issue will go away if I open, close and re-open the menus in a different order it seems. The only two menus screens I am dealing with at the times are the Search menu and Locations saved Menu. I don't use the F-hot keys, only the side bar to call them up.
scr03318.jpg
Attachments
se.log
(92.96 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

Whis812
Observer
Observer

10 Apr 2017 18:15

There are some errors in shaders. Delete folders under the spaceengine /cache directory, then try running Space Engine again.
If this still happens, try reinstalling Nvidia graphics drivers. I see you have latest drivers (381.65), if it's started just few days ago it could be related indeed to this driver version. Then I'd suggest to revert to a previous version like 378.92 to see if the problem persist.
Thanx mate, I'll give that a try :)

michaelcretignier
Observer
Observer

11 Apr 2017 13:29

Everything was working perfectly when now several bug appeared.

The first one is a collision bug. In normal situation (few days before) when I was hitting a satellite, or planet. The camera was stopped. Now it looks like as I am projected far from the object and all the commands to move are removed.

The second bug is a kind of "twinkle" star when I am behind a planet or satellite, I don't know why but if I look in the direction of the star (which should not be visible) I see the star appear and disappear at high frequency like a stomboscope. Remark : it's only produced when the star is in the field of view.

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

11 Apr 2017 13:36

michaelcretignier, try deleting the whole SpaceEngine folder (if you want to save your locations move save.user.cfg file away befor deleting the SpaceEngine folder) :)
If that didn't work, can you please attach your se.log file, located in the system section of the SpaceEngine folder? You use the attach files button in the lower left of where you post.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

michaelcretignier
Observer
Observer

11 Apr 2017 13:58

Okay it's drastic but it worked. I will have to reistall all the addons however :'(

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

12 Apr 2017 01:30

Okay it's drastic but it worked. I will have to reistall all the addons however
If you have problems again, it may be enough to delete the 'main-user.cfg'. In the 'save-user.cfg' is basically only your last position saved, and your username. The list of the most recently visited locations is in 'journal.cfg' and in 'places-user.cfg'
All files are located in the 'config' directory.
Furthermore, the cause of your problems can also be a faulty addon.
So be careful when reinstalling your addons.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

12 Apr 2017 01:43

Okay it's drastic but it worked. I will have to reistall all the addons however
If you have problems again, it may be enough to delete the 'main-user.cfg'. In the 'save-user.cfg' is basically only your last position saved, and your username. The list of the most recently visited locations is in 'journal.cfg' and in 'places-user.cfg'
All files are located in the 'config' directory.
Furthermore, the cause of your problems can also be a faulty addon.
So be careful when reinstalling your addons.
This is why "less is more" when it comes to addons.  I like to keep the program as streamlined as possible and only add big newsworthy addons like when a new habitable exoplanet system is discovered.

Sleipnir_Blue
Observer
Observer

12 Apr 2017 10:26

I installed Space Engine 0.9.8.0  but it is nowhere to be found (even though I did run it once from the installation window ). Running it was very choppy compared to when I had Space Engine before  so I exited and was going to run it again. It is nowhere to be found and does not show up in any folder or start menu or put a desktop icon on the desktop (which I had selected to do during installation). Space Engine does not show up in the uninstall list in Windows control panel.

using  Windows 7  (service pack 1)
~ David King

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

12 Apr 2017 11:33

Sleipnir_Blue, have you tried reinstalling Space Engine? :)

Sleipnir_Blue
Observer
Observer

12 Apr 2017 12:49

Sleipnir_Blue, have you tried reinstalling Space Engine? :)

I just reinstalled into a new location and it goes through the installation as before and I have the 'start space engine' ticked at the end so it starts Space Engine. it is choppy at the default location but I can go to new objects and it seems to go to them quite smoothly .... I can rotate the view around some random globular star cluster  (for example) without any choppiness or lag.

When I check for the folder where it should be installed, there is no folder.

When I open task manager and right click on the running SpaceEngine.exe and pick 'properties'  I get a pop up saying WIndows can locate that.

It was running but it just doesn't seem to be found .... very odd.

~ David King

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

12 Apr 2017 17:15

Sleipnir_Blue, the only thing it comes to mind is the possibility that you installed the program in an external storage, or you could have a permission issue, it could explain why windows can't locate the folder you just installed.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Predatorkate
Observer
Observer

13 Apr 2017 06:16

Hi um I tried to install space engine but it said the ad dons were missing and I tried the torrent version and the slow one the slow one was corrupted 

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

13 Apr 2017 07:15

Hi um I tried to install space engine but it said the ad dons were missing and I tried the torrent version and the slow one the slow one was corrupted
What addons? Also, could you please attach your se.log, located in the system section of the SpaceEngine folder :)
But have you tried reinstalling? ;)

Sleipnir_Blue
Observer
Observer

13 Apr 2017 09:42

Sleipnir_Blue, the only thing it comes to mind is the possibility that you installed the program in an external storage, or you could have a permission issue, it could explain why windows can't locate the folder you just installed.

Thanks for the reply ....

No that's not it (I don't have any external storage attached). 

Also I specifically put this second installation at a certain folder (the first one was default to C:\space_engine   (I think ... or something like that but right on the C: drive )

Also when Space Engine was actually running  (after installation, the box 'run Space Engine' was checked) I right clicked on it in task manager and it said it could not find it and it was listing the exact location I had installed it on the C: drive ).

I'm also trying to just search about this online regarding other software with this problem .... this is really odd.

There is no way I can actually run Space Engine without being able to find it or some shortcut (which don't exist).

I did have Space Engine installed and running quite a while ago 
~ David King

Predatorkate
Observer
Observer

13 Apr 2017 11:36

Xoran:
What addons? Also, could you please attach your se.log, located in the system section of the SpaceEngine folder :)
But have you tried reinstalling? ;)
Yes but nothing work and the it's called add ones folder I mean't that's why it wouldn't install