Free planetarium

XBrain130
Space Pilot

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0

19 May 2017 01:26

Kermit wrote:
Type Y brown dwarf @ .08 AU, temp -182   ... ummm,  brown dwarfs come with air conditioning?

Yeah, so? Never heard of that one Y-class brown dwarf colder than room temperature? Thoser things don't heat themselves up much.

Mosfet
Pioneer

19 May 2017 03:40

Kermit wrote:
Source of the post Type Y brown dwarf @ .08 AU, temp -182   ... ummm,  brown dwarfs come with air conditioning?

WISE 0855−0714 surface temperature was measured ranging from -48 to -13 Celsius, as of April 2014.
I'm guessing here that the algorithm used by SE is based on actual models giving that range. Sure, given the position of the object around its binary, maybe the temperature should be slightly different.
Quite an interesting system, by the way.
Attachments
scr00008.jpg
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods - My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

Kermit
Observer

19 May 2017 17:25

If it weren't for the much warmer planets much further out, I could see the low temp. Maybe if an equivalent hypothetical gas giant in same location were to come  out warmer, adjust temp upwards to match?

Kermit
Observer

19 May 2017 17:37

addendum to last post -- that Y-type should be receiving quite a bit more energy from the real stars nearby.  If I take a lit candle and stick it next to a bonfire, I guarantee that candle will be warmer than one that's not.

Watsisname
Pioneer

19 May 2017 22:17

Kermit, I believe you are correct -- these brown dwarfs should be heated by the proximity to the stars, and it appears that the calculation is not being applied for them.  After some searching I found some other examples, so this was not just an isolated case.

I don't see this listed as a known bug or a fix.  I did also look around in the new beta (still in development) for a while and did not find any cases of it, so I'm not sure if it has been fixed or not.  

Thanks for pointing it out!

Mouthwash
Observer

22 May 2017 03:27

1. I'm having difficulty locating galaxy M60-UCD1 - nothing comes up when I search for it. Wikipedia claims that it is a satellite of NGC 4649, but that galaxy is 72 million light-years away from us in SE, instead of the claimed 55 million (although NGC 4647 appears to be in the correct position in relation to it). What is the reason for the discrepancy and how do I find UCD1?

2. Is the Rayleigh scattering tied to actual light sources or only the planet's parent star? I've been on a planet less than a light-year from a supermassive black hole that filled the sky, but everything seemed dark until the sun rose.

realmezzzz
Observer

23 May 2017 23:40

This happened to me:
Maybe because the distance is very big, but it runs smoothly on resuming, taking only 10 seconds to turn.
The big distance crashed it later on the journey, though, when it went near a star cluster.

What I did:
  1. Park a ship in interstellar space.
  2. Explore a faraway planet and decrease the FOV to a few arcseconds.
  3. Pause time.
  4. Go back to the ship and try to autopilot-goto to a target many Gly away. (Do not resume time)
My ship has thrusters which enable it to turn properly.
(I was unable to replicate it with some planets)
They call me Cuban Pete
I'm the king of the rhumba beat
When I play the maracas I go chick chicky boom, chick chicky boom

Mouthwash
Observer

27 May 2017 15:11

I saved a location on a planet near IC 1101's central black hole, but that planet (and star system) no longer seem to exist when I go to that location, even though I tested it earlier and it worked fine. I just materialize into empty space

Going to the current time makes the system appear. Anyone know what this is?