Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0

24 Sep 2021 05:07

steveg, follow the instructions posted here:
http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic. ... 560#p34434
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

steveg
Observer
Observer

28 Sep 2021 03:05

I tried that but unfortunately I don't have that option.
Profile Inspector.png

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

28 Sep 2021 06:59

You'll have to enter that value manually, then.
http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic. ... 620#p37846
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

steveg
Observer
Observer

29 Sep 2021 02:24

You'll have to enter that value manually, then.
http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic. ... 620#p37846
Yep, that did it!  Thank you!
= Steve

zb1024
Observer
Observer

02 Oct 2021 07:07

For me the link works.

But I made a copy of the post here: [hr] WumboWise  20.04.2020

0.9.8.0. FIX FOR NEW NVIDIA DRIVERS.
First of all, you need a program called NVIDIA profile inspector. I am including a link to the program.

https://nvidiaprofileinspector.com/down ... inspector/

The Program will look like this.

You will then go to the drop down menu near the top left and search for Space Engine. Click the profile that says SPACE ENGINE.
In the SPACE ENGINE profile, enable this setting for the Extention Limit in the dropdown menu. Pick the setting that says "Growtopia" Press Apply changes in the top right to finalize your settings.  This worked for me. Not sure if this will work for everyone. But it worked for me and worth sharing.
If anyone tries this, let me know the results. [hr]
I did so, but in NVidia Profile Inspector I did not have the "Growtopia" function available, only "Off" or "On" and an error pops up: "Could not find critical extensions:
GL_ARB_vertex_program
GL_ARB_fragment_program
GL_ARB_shader_objects
GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
GL_ARB_texture_float
GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
Update your graphics drivers or install hardware that meets the program's requirements

The solution is very simple!
You have to physically TYPE into the extension box the extension limit ie type in :      0x0000A474 (Growtopia)

It then sets this extension...you just apply changes and it works a charm!

Am running an RTX 3090 in 4k....on 471.96 game ready driver!

Thanks for the help. Today I wrote by hand but didn't manually hit "Apply changes". Then I did it and now the SE is working. Thanks.

jkick330
Observer
Observer

19 Oct 2021 08:59

had same problem . tried this and it works! thank you!!

senuaafo
Astronaut
Astronaut

Help, my Space Engine doesn't respond to the Menus anymore....

24 Oct 2021 16:31

Space Engine has stopped responding to mouse clicks on menu.

Hi;

I have SE on a newer gaming computer, and it has been running very well on it for about 6 months now. Recently, however, it has begun to just ignore any mouse clicks when I try to tell it to do anything on the various border edge pop-out menus. Sometimes I have found it won't even deploy those menus as I hover my mouse around the region to get them out.
Mostly, they do come out, at least for now, but when I click on one of the buttons, it just ignores it and sits there doing nothing. The menus still respond by retracting if I move the mouse away, but it just sits there dumb as I click on any of the buttons. The buttons even shift shading as I click on them, but the program just won't do anything.

I have tried all kinds of clicking methods, from longer mouse presses, to press-and-hold, but mostly, the only way around this problem seems to be to just repeatedly click over and over again on a menu button, sometimes as much as 7 to 10 times before it finally listens and responds. Recently, it has gotten worse and sometimes never gets around to doing what I'm punching the buttons for.

I have also found that it is sometimes difficult to close SE at the end of a session. If I use the close button, it will sometimes hang up and freeze in this spastic flickering/strobing condition, which only ends when I hit the escape key. Then sometimes, I can end the sessions using the escape key directly without using the menu close key instead. Sometimes, using the Escape Key is the only way to end the session.

This problem came on rather suddenly, and I haven't made any system changes to my machine since I installed it.
I purchased the machine back in December, installed the SE back then, and then severed it from the internet, so no changes have been allowed to either the SE program, or the machine or operating system it resides on since then. Even so, the problem appears to be getting worse over time.

Up until a few months ago, it had behaved perfectly in it's original condition, but now it's behaving kind of loopy.
I've created a few dozen custom planets over the past few months, but other than that, I don't mess with the program....

The problem has persisted for awhile now.

Here is my SE log....

Any help please?
Thank You.....

GrylosEternal
Observer
Observer

23 Nov 2021 20:45

Hi! I'm having an issue. I downloaded the 9.8.0 version, but I get two errors:

Error 1:
"Cannot create the log file! Check access rights to the Space Engine folder!" 
My solution: Run as administrator, it seemed to work.

Error 2:
Every time I start SE, it closes a few seconds after I double clicked to open it. All it does is say, "Starting..." then around 3 seconds later, it closes. I had no solution for this and I need someone's help.

Here is the se file:
se.log
(10.51 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

GrylosEternal
Observer
Observer

23 Nov 2021 20:49

Hi! I'm having an issue. I downloaded the 9.8.0 version, but I get two errors:

Error 1:
My solution: Run as administrator, it seemed to work.

Error 2:
Every time I start SE, it closes a few seconds after I double clicked to open it. All it does is say, "Starting..." then around 3 seconds later, it closes. I had no solution for this and I need someone's help.

Here is the se file:

se.log
I'm sorry, I meant to post a screenshot but all it sent was a bunch of spam. Here is what the image said:

Error                                   - 
Cannot create log file!
Check access rights to the space engine folder!

vpelss
Observer
Observer

26 Nov 2021 19:23

So the 'nvidiaprofileinspector' fix worked for me.

However Virus Total website had one flag for the 'nvidiaprofileinspector'. Malwarebytes and Windows Defender did not pick up anything. It might be a false positive, but just be aware.

vpelss
Observer
Observer

26 Nov 2021 19:25

So the 'nvidiaprofileinspector' fix worked for me.

However Virus Total website had one flag for the 'nvidiaprofileinspector'. Malwarebytes and Windows Defender did not pick up anything. It might be a false positive, but just be aware.
I should add my card is a geforce rtx3070

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

27 Nov 2021 04:26

GrylosEternal, as the message implies, SpaceEngine needs writing permissions to work on the installation folder, but your operating system is not allowing it.
I suggest you to create a "SpaceEngine" folder somewhere manually where you have full permissions , like a subfolder of your Documents directory, and install the program there instead of using the default installation path. Running the program as administrator it's another solution.

ApfelTeeSaft
Observer
Observer

28 Nov 2021 13:14

When i try and Start Space Engine it just wont start it shows the start png file but then it crashes
Attachments
se.log
(10.71 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

29 Nov 2021 04:10

ApfelTeeSaft, follow the instructions posted here:

You'll have to enter values mentioned there manually.

senuaafo
Astronaut
Astronaut

20 Dec 2021 00:14

Anybody out there using VKB Gladiator joysticks?

Cannot get S.E. to see my VKBsim Gladiator NXT joystick.

Recently I replaced my old joystick with a more advanced stick and rudder combo.

The very first time it ran, but only with the pitch and roll axis, and ignored the yaw twist axis.

But now it just ignores all the axis. All the buttons I mapped to it work fine however.

Previously, I used a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, which worked flawlessly.

I've pasted the SE.log file here

....and a screenshot of what the axis situation looks like here.

I have tried all different combinations, both with the old Logitech still hooked up to the computer through a third USB port, and with it disconnected from the machine. It is currently not hooked to the machine.
Just a note, when the Logitech is still hooked to the machine, It still works fine, even in combo with all the rest still hooked up.
It is just the VKB stick that is being ignored.

The Logitech is currently disconnected.

Thanks;