Ultimate space simulation software

Apollonius
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

How to Export a 360° Video from SE 0.99+

17 Jun 2021 17:01

This is now much easier than before!

Some may remember my old thread where I and a few others stumbled through this process. One of the most vexing aspects of that whole thing - the one which almost made me give up before I'd really even begun (ffmpeg) - is now completely unnecessary.

Here are the current, tested steps:

1) Go into SE settings > Display and change the view from "perspective" to "cylindrical".
2) Set the windowed screen resolution in SE to 3216 x 1608 for a resulting 4k 360 video.
3) Export MP4 video.
4) Inject the 360 data into the resulting MP4 with the Spatial Media Metadata injector tool.
5) Upload the tagged 360 MP4 to YouTube
6) Download the full-resolution 360 encoded VR video when it's done processing.

Unfortunately even though there are plugins to load and edit all sorts of video files, VirtualDub can only append direct streamed AVI, so if you're wanting to attach several video segments together you'll first have to turn those back into AVI format, append them, and then use ffmpeg to turn that entire file back into an MP4 once again. This is kind of a pain, but the advantage is that you can much more easily process a single file now.

Here is an example of a full-res VR video made using this method, and SE v0.991 beta:
Last edited by Apollonius on 28 Apr 2022 08:47, edited 1 time in total.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

22 Jun 2021 00:02

Is 4K really necessary?  Some of us dont have 4K screens.

Apollonius
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

22 Jun 2021 04:09

Nope! I included that resolution because it was considered "medium res" these days, but you can make your export smaller or bigger.

You just need to make sure that whatever you rip at is larger than your screen resolution, or else you will likely see pixelization. Remember, it has to wrap around you 360 degrees.

Apollonius
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

Re: How to Export a 360° Video from SE 0.99+

28 Apr 2022 06:49

Sorry for the bump, but I wanted to say that I've had an epiphany with ffmpeg.

Although it's no longer "necessary" to export a 360 video from space engine, ffmpeg is amazing, and will help tremendously if you want to append avi segments in virtualdub. It was always a pain for me to use (because I couldn't figure it out), but when I got a windows10 system it no longer worked, and I had to move my operations downstairs to a windows 7 machine via a thumb drive.

But now it does work, I'm really glad I went to the trouble because it's really easy to use, and I wanted to share how to use it.

Just download the latest version of ffmpeg, unzip it to a folder, and put any AVI video file that you want to convert to MP4 in there with it. For the sake of this example, let's say you named it "VIDEO.AVI".

If you are using windows 8 or before, right-click in that folder and select "open command prompt here".
If you are using windows 10, click the folder address field (or press alt+D), replace the highlighted text with "cmd" and hit enter.

At the new command prompt enter "ffmpeg -i VIDEO.avi VIDEO.mp4" and hit enter.

After some calculations, the video will be converted frame-by-frame, and the output video will appear in the original folder.

Again, this isn't necessary any more as long as you output from SE as an MP4 to begin with, but it's extremely useful because it's really the only way to convert an AVI to an MP4 (or vice-versa) while keeping a custom screen resolution intact.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

28 Apr 2022 15:19

4) Inject the 360 data into the resulting MP4 with the Spatial Media Metadata injector tool.
You think ffmpeg could also come in handy here, without having to download random bits of software?
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Apollonius
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

28 Apr 2022 21:54

Someone asked the same question in the last iteration of this thread. :)

I have looked into it, but I still haven't found a way yet.

[EDIT] That is, until today.