Ultimate space simulation software

Apollonius
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

Problems with exporting as 360 Video [SOLVED!]

16 Jan 2019 11:52

I guess ffmpeg uses the highest quality by default, but it might use the settings that the original AVI was encoded in. In my case it's DivX doing the encoding, and I selected the "MPEG4 ASP at L5" option. I'm not honestly sure what the difference between it and the "MPEG4 SP at L5" is. The FourCC encoder loaded was "XVID".

Also, I can get the 60fps version of your video with my downloader, but it doesn't show up as a playback option on youtube, and there's no download link at all. One day it's there with youtube, the next it's gone.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

17 Jan 2019 04:24

Great work!  Can this be done just with ffmpeg or must all the tools in your step by step list be used?
Thank you! I don't think that ffmpeg can inject metadata tags into mp4 files when it transcodes them, but I am probably wrong, ffmpeg is pretty amazing. I will have to look into that.

The problem is that SE can only export as an *.AVI, and as far as I can tell, the only types of video file that can be tagged with 360 metadata are MP4 and MOV. This means that you'll need to convert your resulting AVI video with ffmpeg, to ensure that your frame size and resolution are maintained. If you capture and encode your AVI using MPEG codecs to compact it (like DivX), then the process of converting your AVI to MP4 with ffmpeg will go much more smoothly and quickly. If you're simply converting one clip then you won't need VirtualDub at all, because you'll only need that if you want to append AVI segments together without reducing frame size. Also, if you have a way to convert a tagged MP4 to a true 360 VR video file without using youtube, then please let me know. I have to use a 3rd party utility just to find and download my own hi-res videos from youtube, and there's no telling how long they're going to allow that to keep happening.
Gnargenox:
That took me months to figure out. Avidemux is good too, for splicing with fades.
Thanks for that! I'll look into it. I'm having an issue with VirtualDub when I edit the beginnings of videos, and as a result the appended segments have a pause where they intersect. Maybe I can just fade them into each other, or put a black screen in between them...? Oh, and I have been into making equirectangular projections for years, so that helped. :p I'm still nowhere near done learning all I need to know about producing these videos...
What about using a third party recording program like Free Screen Recorder?  I've used it before to record individual windows or whole screens and it has a range of different compression tools and codecs you can choose from and a couple of them preserve quality fairly well and dont use up a huge amount of storage either.

Apollonius
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

17 Jan 2019 04:48

What about using a third party recording program like Free Screen Recorder?  I've used it before to record individual windows or whole screens and it has a range of different compression tools and codecs you can choose from and a couple of them preserve quality fairly well and dont use up a huge amount of storage either.
I use Camtasia for screen capture, but there are 2 reasons why I don't use it for this:

1) You are actually exporting video that is bigger than your screen, and those screen cappers will only record the portion that is seen.

2) SE hinders rendering to make way for exporting, not the other way around. The result is no skipped frames, and no jumpy playback.

The results I get with exports using DivX encoding/Xvid look pretty good for the most part, and the filesize is more than manageable. I'm really happy with them!

Here's another experiment I did yesterday. I was just trying to get a Terra doing a couple of full rotations, but when I went back to edit the stream I saw that I had been visited by a comet! It was totally amazing, and even though the comet really showcases the artifacts created by the skybox, I still will always treasure this clip because to me it represents how amazing Space Engine is. After literally years of use, I have never been surprised by a comet like that. It flew right by me! I'm so glad I recorded that...
[youtube]fzcQQRz1kLQ[/youtube]

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

17 Jan 2019 05:31

I use Camtasia for screen capture, but there are 2 reasons why I don't use it for this:

1) You are actually exporting video that is bigger than your screen, and those screen cappers will only record the portion that is seen.

2) SE hinders rendering to make way for exporting, not the other way around. The result is no skipped frames, and no jumpy playback.

The results I get with exports using DivX encoding/Xvid look pretty good for the most part, and the filesize is more than manageable. I'm really happy with them!

Here's another experiment I did yesterday. I was just trying to get a Terra doing a couple of full rotations, but when I went back to edit the stream I saw that I had been visited by a comet! It was totally amazing, and even though the comet really showcases the artifacts created by the skybox, I still will always treasure this clip because to me it represents how amazing Space Engine is. After literally years of use, I have never been surprised by a comet like that. It flew right by me! I'm so glad I recorded that...
Okay I will get the ones you use because I love your results- they are terrific :)
I had previously downloaded #1 and #2 in this list
https://obsproject.com/download

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best ... n-recorder

https://www.flashbackrecorder.com/downl ... bfbex5.exe

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best ... n-recorder

https://www.flashbackrecorder.com/fbx/

https://www.flashbackrecorder.com/express/

To get everything and even do 360 degree 3D immersive panoramas what all do I need?  ffmpeg, avidemux, divx/xvid and anything else?

Apollonius
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

17 Jan 2019 06:29

To get everything and even do 360 degree 3D immersive panoramas what all do I need?  ffmpeg, avidemux, divx/xvid and anything else?
You will need the injector tool, and maybe VirtualDub if you want to join the clips together. Good luck! I'm about to make a separate thread about how to make these videos, so feel free to post your results in there, if you want!

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

17 Jan 2019 06:32

You will need the injector tool, and maybe VirtualDub if you want to join the clips together. Good luck! I'm about to make a separate thread about how to make these videos, so feel free to post your results in there, if you want!
Thanks, I will get all of these then!  So it's a total of 5 tools- ffmpeg, avidemux, dvix/xvid, the injector tool and virtual dub.

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

17 Jan 2019 18:23

To get everything and even do 360 degree 3D immersive panoramas what all do I need?  ffmpeg, avidemux, divx/xvid and anything else?
The 3D affect of dividing the video into cyan and magenta was a trick.

It was only a filter with a phone app and not actually accurate. Everything shifted left or right was by the same amount, there is no real 3D depth or data for distance towards the horizon magically added. Its not possible to view equirectangular displays while using the proper 3D option in Space Engine.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

anitapatel
Observer
Observer

19 Jul 2019 15:43

Thanks, I will get all of these then!  So it's a total of 5 tools- ffmpeg, avidemux, dvix/xvid, the injector tool and virtual dub.
Thanks OP, i will also download each of these i also have this issue with 360 degrees 3d panoramas. I hope these softwares interface are easy enough to understand
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought."
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself."

anitapatel
Observer
Observer

19 Jul 2019 16:00

I managed with Virtualdub and the injection tool alone suggested by A-L-E-X i was able to join my panormas, thanks for this thread. You guys are amazing.

anitapatel
Observer
Observer

19 Jul 2019 16:02

Yes given camtasia is very good at what is does but consider using the other tools as well pointed out. They do what camtasia cannot and where it falls short.

Transit7
Observer
Observer

18 Jan 2020 19:37

You always may export video as a series of screenshots in SE, and combine them into whatever video container you wish with a third-party program. The fastest lossless format is uncompressed tga, the fastest compressed in jpeg.
Thank you very much for your help!
This is how I wound up doing it:

1) Set the windowed screen resolution in SE to 3216 x 1608 for a resulting 4k 360 video.
2) Export AVI compressed with DivX.
3) Splice together the resulting clips in VirtualDub for direct stream AVI copying.
4) Take the resulting AVI and convert it to MP4 with ffmpeg.
5) Inject the 360 data into the resulting MP4 with the Spatial Media Metadata Injector tool.
6) Upload the tagged 360 MP4 to YouTube
7) Download the full-resolution 360 encoded VR video when it's done processing.

If anybody needs any help making one of these videos, just ask, and I will do my best. Using ffmpeg is VERY easy, but you will likely need help getting started with it. Just ask! I will most likely make a thread about how to do this soon.

Here is my first result. It's not fantastic, but it's a MILLION times better than what I thought I would be able to produce. I've learned a lot, and feel confident that I will be able to improve the quality of my resulting videos. I am extremely happy right now, and this first video looks GREAT on an oculus rift, at 4k resolution!

[youtube]keOOuza3O0s[/youtube]
I have been doing a lot of reading trying to figure out how to record and export 360 videos. I think these instructions are just what I was looking for.  
Will these instructions work with the current version of SE?  If not do you have any suggestions or modifications for recording and exporting 360 video with the current version of SE?  I appreciate any assistance. Thank you. 

msyxtee
Observer
Observer

10 Feb 2021 22:15

Hi Apollonius

What program do you use to record your gameplay? Everything you've done looks amazing!

Apollonius
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

17 Jun 2021 11:46

Hi Apollonius

What program do you use to record your gameplay? Everything you've done looks amazing!
Thanks! I had been using the last version of SE before the Steam version (0.99) was released, in addition to the 3rd party apps listed in the thread. I honestly have not had a chance to mess around with the export settings of the new version because I haven't been able to get the pro version until recently. I need to take a look at those now that I have it!

I'm sorry to everyone who responded after I went AWOL, I appreciate your comments and feedback!

[EDIT] I just realized I left out an important first step, when I laid out how I finally got everything to work:

1) Set the display from "perspective" to "cylindrical" in SE. :|

Apollonius
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

17 Jun 2021 13:04

I have been doing a lot of reading trying to figure out how to record and export 360 videos. I think these instructions are just what I was looking for.  
Will these instructions work with the current version of SE?  If not do you have any suggestions or modifications for recording and exporting 360 video with the current version of SE?  I appreciate any assistance. Thank you. 
I hope they are useful for you!

I've just had a look at the newest version's export settings, and it looks like you can now export as MP4 by default. This will save a rather large step, in that ffmpeg will no longer be necessary before you can inject your 360 tag! Otherwise most settings seem to be the same, as far as bitrate, frame rate, frame size, etc. You must have purchased the pro version though, or else 360 vr videos look pretty bad.

Oh! one more thing... if you 're still wanting to append video segments as direct streams (lossless) you can still use VirtualDub, but you'll need to download a plugin for it that will allow you to edit mp4 files.

Unfortunately I just checked, and you can only append direct streamed (lossless) AVI files with virtualdub, so if you want to attach many 360 files together you'll have to do that using AVI's and then use ffmpeg - basically the old way.