Ultimate space simulation software

Zefnoly
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

Crashes when exporting 8k textures

26 Mar 2017 11:06

I would love some highress textures from my planet but the furthest I can push it at times is 6144 but it is not exactly the size I want. I need 8k textures for a project.
I'm not sure why it crashes at the moment I press the button. I'm in version 9.8.0. I've tried to give it maximum priority in taskemanager but it refuses to work.

The only times I've been able to make this work is with gas giants. There I had no problems doing it with 8k textures.

Specs:
MOBO: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
CPU: i7 Skylake 6700k 4Ghz (Water cooled with Cooler Master Nepton 240M)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2x8GB (16GB in total) (2300Mb/s speed)
GPU: MSI GTX 960 4GB Twinfrozer
The 4 eyed humanoid alien lizard (Fizarian race)

Zefnoly
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

31 Mar 2017 08:47

Bump I want to know a way to make this possible please...

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

31 Mar 2017 10:42

What resolution are you using exactly? 

When I export in 7680 it works just fine, it exported at 7680x3840.  I was able to export all surface maps and clouds within a minute, the program acts frozen but it is exporting to the export folder.  You should be able to go as high as 16384
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Zefnoly
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

20 Apr 2017 10:34

What resolution are you using exactly? 

When I export in 7680 it works just fine, it exported at 7680x3840.  I was able to export all surface maps and clouds within a minute, the program acts frozen but it is exporting to the export folder.  You should be able to go as high as 16384
Well it freezes but after 1-2 seconds it crashes. It works just fine on ressolutions like 4096. But higher than that crashes the program even if I dont touch it. Exporting as high as 16384 is a dream right now. As higher than around 6000p crashes it no matter what. The only planet I managed to export on higher ressolutions was a Gas giant, but I guess it is becuase it is pretty simple as it is mostly clouds.
I'm trying to export cubemap textures of the planet I generated for my species so I can use them in other rendering softwares like blender. And I would love some high quality textures for closer views of the planet. But it just refuses to work. It freezes (like normally) but suddenly crashes without me doing anything. Ive tried everything making higher textures work on this planet. Turn off various layers and export only selected once, giving Space Engine full access to system power.
I dont know what to do about it anymore and the only thread I find about this belongs to the old forums I cant access anymore...
I have fairly powerfull specs for this program and if what you say is possible (16k textures) it should work on my system or what you say is a joke. Because it barely even works on 6k textures. It only goes fine around 4k and lower ressolutions. But I need 8k and preferable 16k as you say is possible... My specs is in the mainpost up above.

Zefnoly
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

09 Jul 2017 06:29

Someone have any ideas why I cant export 8k?

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

09 Jul 2017 11:40

Maybe the memory because I know I have this problem around 2048 pixels. [hr] Off topic : What project ?
► Information

Zefnoly
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

15 Jul 2017 11:22

Maybe the memory because I know I have this problem around 2048 pixels. [hr] Off topic : What project ?
I'm working on my own universe and species. And since I'm too lazy to texture my own planet textures yet. (and I like the natural feeling of it being procedurally generated) I would love some high ress textures.
My specs are above and decent... I wish it was better coded. Could it be my GPU memory getting filled? Do I need 8GB VRAM on my GPU to render 8k? My PC has 16GB RAM. And it didnt improve how much I could export. I also on hold on an i7 6700k on 4Ghz.
8K textures would be extremely helpfull for my scenes. I need my planet to be able to look decently good at close distance. I cant with 4k properly. It would be nice when doing things In space engine as well but I'm also using these textures rendering the planets externally like Blender.
http://zefnoly.deviantart.com/art/Fizar ... -671607444

My GPU is also above. I remember seeing a thread explaining how to make this work but it is lost with the old forums... :: (

Zefnoly
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

15 Jul 2017 11:35

I can shed some more info on this.

Sometimes it manages to export a few 8k cubemaps. Until it randomly crashes reaching the last image to export. Leaving me with an incomplete amount of textures.

It seems to highly depend on the planet as well. Gas giants seems to nicely do it without crashing. But as soon as we are talking normal planets. It spends some time exporting then crashes on the last textures left. Leaving me with incomplete amount of files.

Besides... I tracked my GPU usage in details while doing this. My MEMORY/VRAM is never full. It is always around 90% but never full and it doesnt even increase the amount while exporting. The only thing I see working on the GPU while exporting is the GPU processor and the frame buffer.

GPU processor reaches 100% usage for a millisec for each image it processes (which is needed to be done 6 times in a row when talking cubemaps). While the frame buffer reaches 3% usage in the same time.

My CPU stays far bellow high usage as well. And my usual RAM stays on 40%. So I'm not sure what is causing the crash then. I would love some help.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

15 Jul 2017 11:56

it is lost with the old forums... :: (
old forums are not lost: http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

NathanKerbonaut
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

15 Jul 2017 12:09

I like cute pokemon and space games.
My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=173
Profile pic source: https://goo.gl/JdZX5v