Ultimate space simulation software

SpaceWolf
Observer
Observer

Running SE under Linux (Wine, Mesa, etc)

18 Nov 2017 21:16

how do i run space engine with wine on kali linux plz help when i run it it says error loading textures then it says click yes to disable procedural planets then when space engine loads the screen is black and the play game button is not there nither are the other buttons plz help 

gilest
Observer
Observer

04 Dec 2017 10:54

After two days on Windows 10, Space Engine 0980 loads but fails to appear. I reinstalled, but to no avail. It runs (Windows app manager shows it is active, and I can hear the music), so it’s running, but refuses to show. The cure suggested by VR himself was to remove the config/main-user.cfg - it reset settings to default and it came up perfectly again. By the way, with a halfway decent machine you can run two instances of SE at once - I have a 3-screen setup with the source laptop as the middle screen - perfect for how-to & other files while checking double to amazingness to the left and right on 32-inchers.

My machine is as follows - ASUS G75V 19“ laptop. Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit 3.2.7 Linux kernel 4.4.0-53 AND Windows 10 (Dual boot) generic Processor Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU 2.3 GHz x 4 with 15.6 gig RAM and NVIDIA GK107M (GTX 660M) - an ex-gamer power house, with an SSD

Furthermore, SE runs perfectly on Linux with "PlayOnLinux" - yes, with that error message described above ("_heapmin() returned -1") - but it disappears after 2 seconds by itself and everything was running well anyway. So, ... ummm... Don't hold your breath.

As for large numbers, never fear - definitions include "1 trillion pins = 1 terrapin"; "Time interval between slipping on a fruit peel and hitting the pavement = 1 bananosec"

Hope you guys are having as much fun as me
Special thanks again to Vladimir Romanyuk - and let me voice the unspoken thoughts of many - May some mega-corp come along and buy the whole thing off you for $1 billion - as long as they leave it as FreeWare - you deserve it.

gilest
Observer
Observer

04 Dec 2017 11:06

how do i run space engine with wine on kali linux plz help when i run it it says error loading textures then it says click yes to disable procedural planets then when space engine loads the screen is black and the play game button is not there nither are the other buttons plz help 
I run Linux Mint 18.1 - and do the updates via the terminal commands >>sudo apt-get update and >> sudo apt-get upgrade on a frequent basis. Kali will have something similar. Also Wine is sometimes weak with certain Windows programs (Did I not see something someplace that says SE doesn't work on Wine?) - try installing "PlayOnLinux" and then (carefully) install SE with (or on) that. It worked for me. Your other option is to setup VIrtual Box, yank out any version of Windows XP or better (borrow one from a Republican neighbor if you have to - I found mine in a dumpster complete with setup code), and set that up on VB, and then setup SE on that. It'll be a little slower, but so what?
Sorry that's not a real answer to your question - but there's two other approaches you can try.

ClockworkHex
Observer
Observer

04 Aug 2018 20:21

I've tried this too. It seems like graphics are also an issue (for me at least) so it would still be a good idea to have an install of windows somewhere for these kinds of programs.

tux-fan
Observer
Observer

09 Aug 2019 07:09

SE works 'out of the box' under Ubuntu 18.04 with Steam in SteamPlay mode with Proton 4.2-9 . I didn't check all the aspects of playing SE yet, but what I've seen so far is really impressive.

Ranking on ProtonDB, see:  https://www.protondb.com/app/314650

FreeLock3
Observer
Observer

23 Aug 2019 11:08

Hey,
For the past 6 years, I have used Linux as the main OS on my personal laptop. I recently switched back to Windows because Linux doesn’t offer a good alternative to MS-Office and Adobe Acrobat Pro. Posible in future to create an app like Waze? Thanks

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

25 Jan 2021 05:14

Has anyone been able to run SpaceEngine using Steam + Proton?

I used to run the free version of SpaceEngine just fine using Wine, but it would be nice to see the updates in the Steam version.  My old computer died recently (bad motherboard or CPU), so I gave it up and bought a new one.  It has a Radeon RX 6800XT graphics card, which after some issues with stock Ubuntu 20.04/10 I managed to get working eventually (Linux kernel upgrade necessary).  So I thought I should see if I could get SpaceEngine running.  I enabled Proton in Steam so I could install it, but nothing happens when I try to run it.  I also tried to run SpaceEngine.exe from the shell, but it then just complains about Steam not running (which it does, but I didn't start it from Steam).

Has anyone been successful?
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

25 Jan 2021 10:25

I got SE to run in Steam/Linux.  It's picky about what Proton version is used.  Proton 5.0-10 works.

The "ultra" setting at 5760x1080 resolution runs at a steady 60 frame rate.  Nice.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

19 Apr 2021 05:18

I got SE to run in Steam/Linux.  It's picky about what Proton version is used.  Proton 5.0-10 works.

The "ultra" setting at 5760x1080 resolution runs at a steady 60 frame rate.  Nice.
sheesh, is that a multimonitor set up and what kind of graphics card? I remember something about your mentioning a 3080 class card?

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Apr 2021 09:27

sheesh, is that a multimonitor set up and what kind of graphics card? I remember something about your mentioning a 3080 class card?
Three 1080p monitors.  lspci tells me that I have an "ASRock Incorporation Device 5202", which apparently is an AMD RX 6800 XT.  It would be fun to hook up three 4K monitors and see how that goes.  I use three 4K in my work office (in which I've spent less than an hour over the past 14 months...).

So I got SE to work in Linux, but there are issues with landscapes not becoming detailed when approaching.  I'm not sure if that's related to running Linux, to the graphics card or is a general problem in SE:
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

19 Apr 2021 10:21

That sounds interesting!  I have two screens right now but was considering a third screen which I actually have sitting in a closet, still unopened....do the two frames in between the three monitors make it seem like an eyesore?

I wonder if the differences of 4K are palpable at common monitor sizes (that is, around 25" or so.)

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

20 Apr 2021 10:54

do the two frames in between the three monitors make it seem like an eyesore?
Not any more than the frames of windows next to each other.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI