Ultimate space simulation software

SpaceWolf
Observer
Observer

Running SE under Linux (Wine, Mesa, etc)

18 Nov 2017 19:16

how do i run space engine with wine on kali linux plz help when i run it it says error loading textures then it says click yes to disable procedural planets then when space engine loads the screen is black and the play game button is not there nither are the other buttons plz help 

gilest
Observer
Observer

04 Dec 2017 08:54

After two days on Windows 10, Space Engine 0980 loads but fails to appear. I reinstalled, but to no avail. It runs (Windows app manager shows it is active, and I can hear the music), so it’s running, but refuses to show. The cure suggested by VR himself was to remove the config/main-user.cfg - it reset settings to default and it came up perfectly again. By the way, with a halfway decent machine you can run two instances of SE at once - I have a 3-screen setup with the source laptop as the middle screen - perfect for how-to & other files while checking double to amazingness to the left and right on 32-inchers.

My machine is as follows - ASUS G75V 19“ laptop. Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit 3.2.7 Linux kernel 4.4.0-53 AND Windows 10 (Dual boot) generic Processor Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU 2.3 GHz x 4 with 15.6 gig RAM and NVIDIA GK107M (GTX 660M) - an ex-gamer power house, with an SSD

Furthermore, SE runs perfectly on Linux with "PlayOnLinux" - yes, with that error message described above ("_heapmin() returned -1") - but it disappears after 2 seconds by itself and everything was running well anyway. So, ... ummm... Don't hold your breath.

As for large numbers, never fear - definitions include "1 trillion pins = 1 terrapin"; "Time interval between slipping on a fruit peel and hitting the pavement = 1 bananosec"

Hope you guys are having as much fun as me
Special thanks again to Vladimir Romanyuk - and let me voice the unspoken thoughts of many - May some mega-corp come along and buy the whole thing off you for $1 billion - as long as they leave it as FreeWare - you deserve it.

gilest
Observer
Observer

04 Dec 2017 09:06

SpaceWolf wrote:
how do i run space engine with wine on kali linux plz help when i run it it says error loading textures then it says click yes to disable procedural planets then when space engine loads the screen is black and the play game button is not there nither are the other buttons plz help 

I run Linux Mint 18.1 - and do the updates via the terminal commands >>sudo apt-get update and >> sudo apt-get upgrade on a frequent basis. Kali will have something similar. Also Wine is sometimes weak with certain Windows programs (Did I not see something someplace that says SE doesn't work on Wine?) - try installing "PlayOnLinux" and then (carefully) install SE with (or on) that. It worked for me. Your other option is to setup VIrtual Box, yank out any version of Windows XP or better (borrow one from a Republican neighbor if you have to - I found mine in a dumpster complete with setup code), and set that up on VB, and then setup SE on that. It'll be a little slower, but so what?
Sorry that's not a real answer to your question - but there's two other approaches you can try.