Ultimate space simulation software

woweckin
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

Video settings and recording

17 Jan 2017 09:06

Hi,
please I have a problem with recording videos. If I want to set a video codec, nothing happens. If I want to record video - nothing happens. :( With photos is not problem. I have ATI graphic card.
Can you please help me?

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

18 Jan 2017 14:57

I like this video codec. https://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

It creates a perfect copy of what you see on the screen, but it is a HUGE avi file. 30 seconds takes up nearly 2GB. Files larger than 4GB will return an error message, so try not to record more than 1 minute, you might get up to a minute and a half if you are lucky. I think the reason you are not having luck with other codecs is; they aren't actually installed on your computer or you have not changed their settings in configuration. Some require that you check mark "grab" and what folder location to save it in. I like the one above because there are only 4 things to check in configurations and most importantly I am not using my processor to encode the video at the same time I am recording it and trying to move around in the game. I actually move the huge avi file to my phone and convert it to a 1080HD mp4 with 30 frames per sec. That's pretty good quality and the mp4 file is usually less than 50MB. One other note is that if you are using the engine in fullscreen mode you wont see the amount of time you are recording (which shows up in the top window bar on the left). I get much much better videos when in fullscreen mode vs windowed mode, but I don't know which would be better for you. Also in fullscreen mode you must alt-tab over to the window which has the selections of codecs to you and the configurations button. I always re-select the codec I like and click the configuration button even though I used it last time and am not making changes, out of habit I guess, but it almost always works smoothly. Hope that helps! Making vids is a blast of fun! I think I made like 70 thirty second clips just last week lol.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

woweckin
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

19 Jan 2017 10:56

Now I can record, this codec is perfect (except one thing - pinnacle studio cant recognize avi from this codec.. :) , thank you!
Tryed a lot of codecs, but i found, that there is a bug with 4 GB and bigger videos - there is error (with every codec). Is there any solution how to make it? Thank you very much!

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Jan 2017 11:27

woweckin, 4GB it's the biggest file a FAT32 file system can manage, it's a limitation you can't avoid unless you use for example an NTFS file system. All external USB drives and USB memory sticks come usually factory formatted as FAT32. To overcome this, you need to change your partition file system (or an external USB drive, if you want) in NTFS or exFAT.
Be warned tough, this could mean to erase all your existing data from your drive, so always do a backup of your data elsewhere before doing this. There are software utilities that change the file system on the fly, but I would not risk my data by using them without a backup. Check your local computer guru for advice.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

woweckin
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

20 Jan 2017 10:52

Mosfet, It doesnt look thats my problem, because my all disks are formated to NTFS file system. It looks like a bug of space engine. :( Dont you know another solution? Thank you!

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

20 Jan 2017 16:36

I'm afraid not, for some test videos I captured single frames as .jpg files and I used RAD video tools to convert in .avi, only few minutes in full HD.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

21 Jan 2017 04:39

The 4GB limitation does not come from the Lagarith video codec or Space Engine. It comes from the container, or in this case, the AVI file format. In its standard form, the container does not support files larger than 4GB, does not properly support timecode, and doesn’t properly support pixel aspect ratios. There are non-standard extensions to the container format, like OpenDML which overcomes the 4GB file limit, but video player support is dubious. Also many video players have trouble playing ANY file types larger than 4GB.

The good news is there is no 4GB limit for MP4s. To build MP4s larger than 4GB the muxer must use 64-bit addressing. MPEG’s MP4 container is an industry standardized format based on Apple Quicktime MOV with some additional extending features. It is commonly both an acquisition (recording) and delivery (playing) format. Although it can contain different codecs, the most commonly used codecs in the MP4 container like H.264 aren’t totally suitable in an editing environment. Also H.264 is slow to seek in a player, so if you intend to browse around the video stream, either fixing stuff or looking for stuff, it's not an ideal choice. H.264 does give you the highest quality compared to file size though.

So, instead of using the Lagarith lossless video codec (faster, AVI, smaller than 4GB), you can use the lossless Ut-video-codec (slower, MP4, larger than 4GB). Once installed it will show up in your list of codecs when you press configure on the F9 video capture window in Space Engine. However there is another way that is separate from the built in video recorder with Space Engine. That is, the Dxtory movie capture program!

Dxtory by ExKode is a movie capture tool for DirectX and OpenGL Applications. Since data is directly acquired from a surface memory buffer, it is very high-speed and works with smaller CPU load. With it you can use the Ut Video Codec to create MP4 containers larger than 4GB in size.

---

Encoder - Latest Version 2.0.141 (December 07, 2016)
http://exkode.com/products-en.html

Codec - Latest Version 17.3.0 (January 15, 2017)
http://www.videohelp.com/software/Ut-Video-Codec-Suite
Remember, be sure to get the 64-bit version for making files larger than 4GB.

If you use the Ut video codec alone, without Dxtory, and select it from the F9 menu it will be in AVI format still. I select the second Ut codec on the list, "UtVideo RGB VCM" and when configuring just leave as is, leaving the frame divide count at 8 and with optimize for decoding speed selected.

If you do use the Dxtory capture program, change your video settings in it (yellow button at the bottom) to your screen resolution. Also, under the grey folder looking icon, set your folder settings; where you save the movie and where you save the temporary screenshots that make up the final movie. The hotkey to start and stop the movie is already set up as F12.

---
I've been playing around with Dxtory with minimal luck tonight. I am not sure how to record/write in MP4 format yet, even with the H.264 codec, which I've seen others do. Plus the free download version does have a name branding across the screen which makes it pointless to use, for me. I do know you can use the same program to combine AVI files into an MP4, that might possibly be larger than 4GB, if that's helpful in some way, but my drive is FAT32 and I won't be doing any re-formating or partitioning any time soon, so I won't know. One good thing that I learned is using the program and codec together allowed me to make a 2+ minute long movie in 1080p@30 frames that is only 8MB, but it is an AVI and it did capture the GUI. My next task before sunrise is to use the built-in video capture in Space Engine using the various Ut codecs this time. Let me know what kind of luck you have if you decide to try any of these ideas.

BTW, recommended settings for HD videos for uploading to the web (in 2014)
Format MP4 (file extension .mp4)
Video Codec: H264 (High profile)
Frame Rate: 24, 25 or 30 (Constant)
Frame Size / Resolution: 1280 x 720 (720p)
Fields: Progressive
Bitrate: 5,000 – 10,000 kbit/s

Audio Codec: AAC-LC
Bitrate: 320 kbit/s
Sample Rate: 44.100 OR 48,000 kHz (retain original sample rate)
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

02 Apr 2017 17:07

Don't you hate it when you record a movie for too long and end up with an AVI file that stops recording once it reaches 4GB in size and is then corrupt and unplayable? (due to the limitations of the container size of AVIs, not your computers file system structure of FAT vs NTFS) Well... here is a solution to at least gain some of that movie back! Use Vdub to resave it in segements, trim that and then have a smaller file that works!
VDub
Start Vdub and open your broken AVI. Under the video tab select Direct Stream Copy. Then under the File tab select Save Segmented AVI. Pick any number under 4000MB, but close to it. Vdub will save it, then it'll crash, so close it. Restart it, re-open the saved segmented file.

Use the slider button at the bottom to stream over to the first moment you see movement in the display window of the movie. Click the arrow with the yellow key under it to jump keyframes so you can cut this with the direct stream option. If you stop on any other frame other than a key frame you will need to do a full re-processing of the movie, which just takes longer.

Click the half of an arrow looking button at the bottom pointing left to pick the new start location of the movie. Drag the slider over to when you see movement stop in the movie, back up a smudge with the keyframe buttons again and click the right half-of-an-arrow button to select the end of the movie.

Make sure Direct Stream Copy is still selected and then Save file normally (not segmented this time) WA-LA! I turned a 60 second 4GB AVI file that was unplayable into a working copy only 50 seconds long and something like 3.4GB in size. Since it was a Direct Stream Copy it did not lose any quality.

system1024
Observer
Observer

05 Apr 2017 11:02

hey! I did use codec x264vfw (menu F9), but after rendering in VegasPro (render with x264vfw) and uploading file on the youtube there was a strong effect of banding.=(

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

05 Apr 2017 20:23

Use a strong value for Quantizing to lessen the effect of Banding when re-rendering. YouTube compression doesn't help either. If you can check Bitrate you want it to be around 20,000kb/. Many times you won't even know it has been dropped to less than 5000kb/s. If your file size has dropped substantially, then it has been lowered. 

Lujo
Astronaut
Astronaut

14 Jan 2018 07:57

Hi,
I need to record video in 4680x1920 resolution. But when i go to windowed mode a enter this resolution it gets so big i can't see anything. Any suggestions how can i record it?

tRetro-Visor
Explorer
Explorer

14 Jan 2018 12:53

Hi,
I need to record video in 4680x1920 resolution. But when i go to windowed mode a enter this resolution it gets so big i can't see anything. Any suggestions how can i record it?
you can still record it though
my fix for that is adjusting the camera pan and rotations prior in fullscreen and after that, switch to the 4k window
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

14 Jan 2018 16:22

I don't have any way to test the following idea at the moment but it might work.

Check out AutoHotkey, a very versatile and portable scripting language for windows intended to help you with hotkeys, keyboard and mouse automation and more. It uses a basic script to force a window into any size that you want. Even sizes that exceed your monitor max resolution.

Beware however, forcing programs to do something they were never intended to do is risky. Expect them to crash or freeze; side effects may include hair loss, over eating or brain malfunction, maybe.

Download and install AutoHotkey. Copy and paste the following into your favorite text editor.
F12::
WinGet, TempWindowID, ID, A
If (WindowID != TempWindowID)
{
  WindowID:=TempWindowID
  WindowState:=0
}
If (WindowState != 1)
{
  WinGetPos, WinPosX, WinPosY, WindowWidth, WindowHeight, ahk_id %WindowID%
  WinSet, Style, ^0xC40000, ahk_id %WindowID%
  WinMove, ahk_id %WindowID%, , 0, 0, 4096, 2160
}
Else
{
  WinSet, Style, ^0xC40000, ahk_id %WindowID%
  WinMove, ahk_id %WindowID%, , WinPosX, WinPosY, WindowWidth, WindowHeight
}
WindowState:=!WindowState
return
It’s written to toggle the size of the window that currently has focus whenever you press the key F12.
You can change this key into anything you want by editing the following text in the script.

Changing the first line:
F12:: 
Into:
^F12::
Will toggle it when pressing CTRL+F12
+F12:: 
Will toggle when pressing SHIFT+F12
^+F12::
Will toggle when pressing CTRL+SHIFT+F12.

Get it? The symbols represent modifiers on your keyboard. 

Save the file as 4Kresolution.ahk or whichever name you prefer as long as the file extension ending is .ahk

Browse to where you saved the file and double click on it.

The script is now running in the background, waiting for you to press F12. Pressing once will set the window size to 4096 x 2160. Pressing it again will toggle the window back.

Right click the system tray and click exit to turn the script off.

Best of luck!
Last edited by Gnargenox on 15 Jan 2018 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

Lujo
Astronaut
Astronaut

15 Jan 2018 14:10

Thanks! I'll try that.

SpacePioneer
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

21 Jan 2018 03:32

What program should I use to stitch together a video I recorded as frames? Every AVI I've recorded has been all messed up and won't play properly (I'm assuming it probably was that they were over 4GB or I somehow messed up the codec since I don't know what I'm doing) and I want to put together longer videos but am not exactly sure what I should do. I tried to use WindowsMovieMaker since as a kid I attempted (keyword attempted) to make a 60-frames-per-second video with that by drawing each frame...needless to say, it didn't work...because it would've been way too much work. But from that experience, I knew you could define each frames duration and I tried that but it would only go down to 0.03 seconds per frame while I need to have each one be 0.0166... to get a 60-frames-per-second video as I intended. I have HitFilm is that works but I'm not quite sure it can set the duration of many files, and put them all into a video, without me having to spend hours setting the duration of each frame (like I had to do with WMM as a kid, lol)
Search the skies for a new home
As the old one burns
In ashen skies and firey night
The void my only savior
I, am the lone, space pioneer.

CPU: AMD Ryze Threadripper 2970WX, GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64 GB RAM, 4 Drives (2 1TB SSDs, 2 4TB HDDs)