Ultimate space simulation software

TheExoplaneteer
Observer
Observer

Video settings and recording

21 Jan 2018 18:46

I have a somewhat related issue: low-resolution screenshots. How do I fix this?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

22 Jan 2018 03:09

What's your display resolution? Do you play in fullscreen or window mode? Are your screenshots jpg or PNG files?
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

TheExoplaneteer
Observer
Observer

22 Jan 2018 15:08

@Mosfet my resolution is 1920 x 1017, and my images are all in JPG format.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

22 Jan 2018 16:42

TheExoplaneteer, you can change resolution of your screenshots, depending on your graphic card capability, by changing window size in windowed mode, from the display configuration tab.
This below is a 4k resolution screenshot taken by my 1366x768 laptop.
Attachments
scr00027.jpg
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

TheExoplaneteer
Observer
Observer

24 Jan 2018 15:58

[quote="Mosfet"][ref]TheExoplaneteer[/ref], you can change resolution of your screenshots, depending on your graphic card capability, by changing window size in windowed mode, from the display configuration tab.
This below is a 4k resolution screenshot taken by my 1366x768 laptop.[/quote]
It doesn't work. In fact, it glitches EVERYTHING. Now the window is larger than my laptop screen, so only part of the window is visible. None of the buttons are visible, and my cursor cannot get out of the bottom of the laptop screen. Thankfully, I have a touch screen laptop.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Jan 2018 20:18

it glitches EVERYTHING. Now the window is larger than my laptop screen, so only part of the window is visible. None of the buttons are visible, and my cursor cannot get out of the bottom of the laptop screen
Then please attach your se.log file, it's in your SpaceEngine/system/ folder.
Your mouse pointer shouldn't get stuck. You should be able to double-click with your arrow on the visible part of SE window title bar, which would force again a 1366x768 window resolution. If it doesn't behave like that, it could be indeed related to some touch screen peculiarity. Out of curiosity, what brand and series/type of laptop do you have?

NyquistDream
Observer
Observer

11 Mar 2018 16:41

If you are still having trouble with video recording. just try OBS Studio:

https://obsproject.com/

Take 5 minutes to setup everything, in Output/Recording, just use the 2 highest recording qualities (the other ones are ***), use hardware encoder and be done with it.
Then in Sources, just add an item with Mode "Capture any fullscreen application", click Start Recording, go and forget about this codec thing.

NVidia Shadowplay is messed up with this login requirement, and an older version (2.1) doesn't seem to work with new driver.

Yiliaaaa
Observer
Observer

08 Jun 2018 06:18

What tool is it you use to record your videos? The one I like is Joyoshare Screen Recorder. It is a powerful screen recorder for Windows and Mac users. You can specify the codec, resolution, bit rate, sample rate, channel, etc. in your own way.

skotadi
Observer
Observer

12 Sep 2019 21:26

The 4GB limitation does not come from the Lagarith video codec or Space Engine. It comes from the container, or in this case, the AVI file format. In its standard form, the container does not support files larger than 4GB, does not properly support timecode, and doesn’t properly support pixel aspect ratios. There are non-standard extensions to the container format, like OpenDML which overcomes the 4GB file limit, but video player support is dubious. Also many video players have trouble playing ANY file types larger than 4GB.

The good news is there is no 4GB limit for MP4s. To build MP4s larger than 4GB the muxer must use 64-bit addressing. MPEG’s MP4 container is an industry standardized format based on Apple Quicktime MOV with some additional extending features. It is commonly both an acquisition (recording) and delivery (playing) format. Although it can contain different codecs, the most commonly used codecs in the MP4 container like H.264 aren’t totally suitable in an editing environment. Also H.264 is slow to seek in a player, so if you intend to browse around the video stream, either fixing stuff or looking for stuff, it's not an ideal choice. H.264 does give you the highest quality compared to file size though.

So, instead of using the Lagarith lossless video codec (faster, AVI, smaller than 4GB), you can use the lossless Ut-video-codec (slower, MP4, larger than 4GB). Once installed it will show up in your list of codecs when you press configure on the F9 video capture window in Space Engine. However there is another way that is separate from the built in video recorder with Space Engine. That is, the Dxtory movie capture program!

Dxtory by ExKode is a movie capture tool for DirectX and OpenGL Applications. Since data is directly acquired from a surface memory buffer, it is very high-speed and works with smaller CPU load. With it you can use the Ut Video Codec to create MP4 containers larger than 4GB in size.

---

Encoder - Latest Version 2.0.141 (December 07, 2016)
http://exkode.com/products-en.html

Codec - Latest Version 17.3.0 (January 15, 2017)
http://www.videohelp.com/software/Ut-Video-Codec-Suite
Remember, be sure to get the 64-bit version for making files larger than 4GB.

If you use the Ut video codec alone, without Dxtory, and select it from the F9 menu it will be in AVI format still. I select the second Ut codec on the list, "UtVideo RGB VCM" and when configuring just leave as is, leaving the frame divide count at 8 and with optimize for decoding speed selected.

If you do use the Dxtory capture program, change your video settings in it (yellow button at the bottom) to your screen resolution. Also, under the grey folder looking icon, set your folder settings; where you save the movie and where you save the temporary screenshots that make up the final movie. The hotkey to start and stop the movie is already set up as F12.

---
I've been playing around with Dxtory with minimal luck tonight. I am not sure how to record/write in MP4 format yet, even with the H.264 codec, which I've seen others do. Plus the free download version does have a name branding across the screen which makes it pointless to use, for me. I do know you can use the same program to combine AVI files into an MP4, that might possibly be larger than 4GB, if that's helpful in some way, but my drive is FAT32 and I won't be doing any re-formating or partitioning any time soon, so I won't know. One good thing that I learned is using the program and codec together allowed me to make a 2+ minute long movie in 1080p@30 frames that is only 8MB, but it is an AVI and it did capture the GUI. My next task before sunrise is to use the built-in video capture in Space Engine using the various Ut codecs this time. Let me know what kind of luck you have if you decide to try any of these ideas.

BTW, recommended settings for HD videos for uploading to the web (in 2014)
Format MP4 (file extension .mp4)
Video Codec: H264 (High profile)
Frame Rate: 24, 25 or 30 (Constant)
Frame Size / Resolution: 1280 x 720 (720p)
Fields: Progressive
Bitrate: 5,000 – 10,000 kbit/s

Audio Codec: AAC-LC
Bitrate: 320 kbit/s
Sample Rate: 44.100 OR 48,000 kHz (retain original sample rate)
This is the only post I've seen address the 4 gig limit on videos.  I tried the advice quoted above, and I'm still getting limited to 4 gigs.  I'm using NTFS file system, win10, and hoping that I can get videos over the 4 gig limit. 

I downloaded the recommended ut drivers from that link... they've since been updated.  I tried the UT Video RGM VCM but no luck there, same problem.  Regarding the other software... dxtool... i'm hoping to not have to buy more software just to record videos from this app... I only got it for video recording. 
Question: does buying space engine pro allow for mp4 output?  

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Nov 2019 15:41

the 4 GB limit doesn't matter to me, since I've recorded videos up to 2 hr in length that were barely over 1 GB in size!  I dont know what you guys are using but you're definitely wasting space on your hard drive.

Use FlashBack Express.

op61
Observer
Observer

04 Dec 2019 04:43

Hi :D I want to capture 4K or 8K? I do not have a 4K screen/monitor. How do I do it on a 1080 monitor? Is Space Engine Capture limited to its Display settings? 
Can I screen capture 4K or 8K in the new PRO version? I'm using Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 64 GB RAM, My maximum screen resolution is 1920 x 1080.  [img=24x24]http://forum.spaceengine.org/images/smi ... _ugeek.png[/img]

spiritform
Observer
Observer

Re: Video settings and recording

22 Jun 2023 22:20

that's what i would love to know... i don't understand the point of setting the rendering resolution at 4096 if it only renders the display size. 

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

23 Jun 2023 07:59

By using SpaceEngine in windowed mode, users can customize window pixels width and height, whose borders can be rendered off screen. This allows to people having only fullHD displays to capture higher resolutions. This is only limited by the available VRAM of the graphics card.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

25 Jun 2023 11:29

By using SpaceEngine in windowed mode, users can customize window pixels width and height, whose borders can be rendered off screen. This allows to people having only fullHD displays to capture higher resolutions. This is only limited by the available VRAM of the graphics card.
But is there a way to view the screen in fullHD mode but screenshot in 4K mode?

Fiuza
Observer
Observer

30 Oct 2023 21:49

Eu estou com problema para realizar a gravação, pois o vídeo fica acelerado, alguém pode me ajudar?

(Auto-translated by a mod: I'm having trouble because the video is sped up. Can anyone help me?)