Free planetarium

Snaffy
Observer
Topic Author

3DConnexion SpaceNavigator - All wrong ?

14 Jan 2017 04:02

Hi, This is my first posting, so please be gentle with me :)
And apologies if this is a well known issue. I did a search here in this area and did not find anything to help, hence this post.

A little background:
I did try Space Engine quite some time ago, and will admit to being a little frustrated with the controls, however after some chat to others and seeing recent screenshots I decided I've give it a second try :)

Downloaded the latest version and the HD and Ultra add-on packs, and all looks gorgeous (if I can keep anything in view)  ;)

My biggest problem, is the same problem I had last time, in that, my 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator controller seems completely unusable and all over the place inside "Space Engine"

I can use this 3D controller in Photoshop, some 3D modelling apps, Second Life to pan about in 3D, also Google Earth.
However in Space Engine, it's just all over the place.

I can see it's supported, so I am guessing, there is some config I need to sort out, or settings I need to put in place?

Moving the 3D controller in various directions when running "Space Engine" just gives very weird results that make it totally unusuable.

Can anyone perhaps what I'm doing wrong, or what I need to do, or what I need to change, so that I can get this working as using a 3D controller such as this in a 3D environment is an utter joy, when it's working right, and as expected.

Many many thanks in advance :)

Snaffy
Observer
Topic Author

15 Jan 2017 03:38

No one using the Space Navigator?
Or are many using it, but it's working perfect?

Perhaps I need a follow up post and write here what happens on screen when I use it, as the movement of the controller is not linked correctly to the effect it has "on-screen"

Which is a shame as it's lovely to use, when it's working right.

Mosfet
Pioneer

15 Jan 2017 06:05

Snaffy wrote:
Source of the post No one using the Space Navigator?

The only one I know of is SpaceEngineer, but I'd wait more than 24 hours for answers ;)
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods - My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

Snaffy
Observer
Topic Author

15 Jan 2017 07:05

Mosfet wrote:
Snaffy wrote:
Source of the post No one using the Space Navigator?

The only one I know of is SpaceEngineer, but I'd wait more than 24 hours for answers ;)

Thanks for the reply, as I'm new to these forums, I'm not used to the general speed/activity here.
Hopefully I can get this working with the help of some kind others who can tell me what I'm doing wrong, or probably what changes I need to make to get the 3D controller working as expected :)

Mosfet
Pioneer

15 Jan 2017 07:53

In the meantime, see these results from the old forum, they refer to an older version but maybe some answer can lead to partial solutions:
http://en.spaceengine.org/search/?q=space+navigator
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods - My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine

16 Jan 2017 06:47

Maybe this is because default settings in SE for this input device does not correspond to the axes names (changes in drivers?), or maybe because of conflict with their "joystick emulator", which detected by SE as a joystick. Just open settings menu and configure Space Navigator axes. I recommend to you to clear out all actions for Space Navigator first, because movements of a stick must be very gently. And clear out that 3D connection joystick emulator to prevent conflicts (SE works with all joysticks in the system simultaneously). Also, clear bindings of a buttons, and assign them to the SE speed presets [Ctrl] + [Numpad +] and [Ctrl] + [Numpad -] in the Space Navigator settings app. I also increased a "sensitivity" of the Space Navigator to make turns more faster (scroll the window down, there will be a sliders).

I ended up with these settings for a free camera:

scr00186.jpg

And these for a ship:

scr00187.jpg

Configuring axes in-game is very tricky, so here is the config file. Put it into config directory. If your device name differs from mine, rename the file.

joy_SpaceNavigator.cfg
(8.95 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Snaffy
Observer
Topic Author

16 Jan 2017 14:36

Thank you very much for the advice and screen shots.
I shall spend some time following these and see how I get on.
I'll report back either way :)