Free planetarium

JackDole
World Builder
World Builder

Can my PC run Space Engine?

01 Apr 2017 09:32

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post is there any way to return to default settings after experimenting with these (and other settings)?

Delete the file 'main-user.cfg' from the 'config' directory.
You may also want to delete the file 'save-user.cfg'.

SpaceEngine will then re-create these files from 'main-def.cfg' and 'user-def.cfg'

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

01 Apr 2017 09:36

Xoran wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Harbinger, is there any way to return to default settings after experimenting with these (and other settings)?  I can't find a way to go back to default.

There isn't any "default" button except in the controls settings, so you have to use your memory.

Thanks, is the default button in the controls settings a universal default button (will it set it everything to default- including the graphics settings?)

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

01 Apr 2017 09:37

JackDole wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post is there any way to return to default settings after experimenting with these (and other settings)?

Delete the file 'main-user.cfg' from the 'config' directory.
You may also want to delete the file 'save-user.cfg'.

SpaceEngine will then re-create these files from 'main-def.cfg' and 'user-def.cfg'

Thanks, so that will reset the entire program to "factory default" settings?

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

01 Apr 2017 09:46

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Thanks, is the default button in the controls settings a universal default button (will it set it everything to default- including the graphics settings?)

No, only the controls.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

01 Apr 2017 09:59

Xoran wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Thanks, is the default button in the controls settings a universal default button (will it set it everything to default- including the graphics settings?)

No, only the controls.

Thanks.  I forgot to ask this earlier- is there a way to throttle down frame rates?  When I have high usage on a program like Stellarium, there is a way to throttle down frame rates by editing the .CFG file and that lowers the usage rate, I'm hoping that can be done here also.

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

01 Apr 2017 10:04

A-L-E-X wrote:
Xoran wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:

No, only the controls.

Thanks.  I forgot to ask this earlier- is there a way to throttle down frame rates?  When I have high usage on a program like Stellarium, there is a way to throttle down frame rates by editing the .CFG file and that lowers the usage rate, I'm hoping that can be done here also.

There is a parameter called loading speed in the graphics settings, higher numbers will load faster but with less fps, and lower numbers will load slower but more fps, if that was what you meant :)

And post suggestions in the suggestions thread!

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

01 Apr 2017 11:34

Xoran wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Xoran wrote:
No, only the controls.

There is a parameter called loading speed in the graphics settings, higher numbers will load faster but with less fps, and lower numbers will load slower but more fps, if that was what you meant :)

And post suggestions in the suggestions thread!

Oh, so a lower loading speed means lower GPU usage?  I don't recall making a suggestion lol.

JackDole
World Builder
World Builder

01 Apr 2017 12:07

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post so that will reset the entire program to "factory default" settings?

Yes.
If you delete 'main-user.cfg' and 'save-user.cfg', then SpaceEngine will be reset to the factory settings.

Of course, your last discoveries are preserved, which are stored in the file 'journal.cfg'. If you have made changes to the keyboard commands, they also will be preserved.

Addons which you have stored in the 'addons' directory, of course, are also preserved.

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

01 Apr 2017 17:57

Now I'm reading that 98% GPU Usage isn't so bad- that it's actually better to have full GPU usage then to offload that work to the CPU.  It's so hard getting definitive answers about this stuff......

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

01 Apr 2017 23:18

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post  I don't recall making a suggestion lol.

Post questions in the questions thread, if you have questions :)

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

02 Apr 2017 19:02

HarbingerDawn wrote:
SwordL wrote:
Source of the post Hi my computer is low budget, so i don't have very high specs. I just wanted to know, what was the lowest graphics settings possible?

Change the following settings in the Graphics menu:
  • Anisotropy level: off
  • MSAA antialiasing: off
  • FXAA antialiasing: off
  • Dithering: off
  • Aurora quality: low
  • Black hole quality: low
  • Ship warp quality: off
  • Diffraction spikes: off
  • Lens flares: off
  • Landscape LOD: -2
  • Loading speed: (higher numbers will load faster, but will lower framerate while loading terrain)
  • Eclipse shadows: off
  • Ring shadows on sky: off
  • Planet shine: off
  • Night side lights: off

Those are the least demanding graphics settings possible in SE. If those aren't good enough, you can try disabling some objects or layers from rendering (like galaxies, nebulae, aurora, comet tails, clouds, water, etc.)

If that still doesn't work, then there's not much you can do. SE is a fairly demanding 3D program, and generally requires dedicated graphics hardware to run well.

Okay so I used some of these settings, hoping to keep my GPU temps and usage down.
  • Anisotropy level: off
  • MSAA antialiasing: off
  • FXAA antialiasing: off
  • Dithering: off
  • Aurora quality: low
  • Diffraction spikes: off
  • Lens flares: off
  • Landscape LOD: -2
  • Loading speed: (higher numbers will load faster, but will lower framerate while loading terrain)
    The reason I used those is I don't find AA or AF useful (can't tell the difference whether it is on or off).  I don't see aurorae anywhere and dithering just creates false colors.  Diffraction spikes and lens flares are just optical defects so not necessary.  Can't tell the difference between LOD -1 and LOD -2 so I kept -2 and set Loading speed to 1 since I don't mind waiting and want to throttle frame rates.

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

02 Apr 2017 23:59

I just wanted to add that after hours of usage at the above mixed settings, my GPU temp is down by a full 25C!  at 60C.  GPU usage is between 80-98% but as long as the temps are this low it's fine.

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

03 Apr 2017 08:44

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I don't see aurorae anywhere

auroa.png

A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder

03 Apr 2017 22:35

I have never seen anything like that in my entire life lol- where is that? interstellar space?

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

04 Apr 2017 04:59

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I have never seen anything like that in my entire life lol- where is that? interstellar space?

Just a relatively normal cold desert. :)
Try setting aurorae brightness to 100 and try looking at planets. Aurorae is not uncommon in SE.