Ultimate space simulation software

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

General questions about SpaceEngine

01 Jan 2019 09:54

sono2000, unfortunately LOD feature is useful only for procedural planets, it doesn't change the appearance of solar system objects which are using textures as elevation maps. Here you can find a PDF with more specific descriptions of what are the sources for each texture pak and relative resolutions.
This limitation could change in future, but it doesn't appear to be a priority according the TODO list.
Edit:
HD and Ultra addons will be repacked anyway for Steam version, according SpaceEngineer.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

02 Jan 2019 00:25

About LOD, which creates a bigger difference in image quality, a change from LOD 0.0 to 0.5 or LOD 0.5 to 1.0?  And LOD 0.0 is considered standard, right?  Also as you increase the LOD in 0.1 steps, is the increase an arithmetic, geometric or exponential progression (the latter would mean the image quality increases more rapidly as you go higher.)  Does a higher LOD massively increase gpu usage and shorten its life?

Also, is 4x the standard amount of antialiasing to apply? I see some use up to 32x?  Does this not massively increase gpu usage and shorten its life?

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

COMMUNITY ADDON - Catalog Fixes for SE

18 Jan 2019 03:48

Do you think planets will look better with 0.990 JD?

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

18 Jan 2019 21:20

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Do you think planets will look better with 0.990 JD?

I guess so. But that's probably a matter of taste.
JackDole's Universe: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Jan 2019 01:31

I will still be running both together then lol.  I know you mentioned somewhere, JD, that you run multiple versions of the program on your system?

One question I would like an answer to, why was the console system changed so that it's not as intuitive to land at a specific lat/long anymore?  The new system in 0.990 seems to be a lot more complicated.

miguel.vasquez
Observer
Observer

01 Feb 2019 06:24

Hi! Awesome program!

Quick question, tho... Is there a way to open up an extra window so you can control everything in one window while everything is happening in the other one?

That way you could project the navigator window on a screen and "secretly" control it so no one sees the mouse or the info windows and it would look better.

Raven
Observer
Observer

02 Feb 2019 13:34

Will spacecraft aerodynamics be improved in 0.990? Pitch currently seems far too twitchy up to around 300 m/s, while roll is extremely sluggish. Control suddenly becomes smoother and more predictable with much better roll response at or above the same velocity. Pitch is then more manageable but there's no way to trim so it still requires constant input to hold the nose down. While I understand that SpaceEngine is mostly about space, atmospheric flight is my favorite way to explore planets. Please don't misunderstand me; it's quite flyable now, and I've spent countless hours enjoying the challenge of flying various craft in diverse conditions. I'm just wondering if it's on the list of improvements and/or if there will be a way to adjust flight characteristics for individual craft.

Mr. Abner
Pioneer
Pioneer

08 Mar 2019 01:59

Say... does anybody know if ships are limited to just eight cameras?

I know, even cycling through eight can be a bit much, but sometimes you want more.

Perhaps a key to switch cameras that waits for a second key-press — the number of the camera position.

Mountain224
Observer
Observer

08 Apr 2019 22:03

How do i activate cinematic mode in space engine?

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

22 Apr 2019 15:48

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Probably yes, updating all textures on the planet is quite fast now.

I think you may have answered this before but will it ever become possible to show real time weather conditions on Earth using satellite images and real time landscapes on earth akin to what Google Earth shows?  I think the answer would be no because you would need to have SE connected to the internet to allow real time updates like that, but perhaps further down the road that might happen?

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress 0.990

23 Apr 2019 04:29

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I think you may have answered this before but will it ever become possible to show real time weather conditions on Earth using satellite images and real time landscapes on earth akin to what Google Earth shows?  I think the answer would be no because you would need to have SE connected to the internet to allow real time updates like that, but perhaps further down the road that might happen?

You asking to make a Google Earth clone. What is the point for this? SE has a different purpose: display the Universe, not focusing on Earth, or being a weather monitoring tool.

Terran
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress 0.990

23 Apr 2019 13:51

SpaceEngineer wrote:
You asking to make a Google Earth clone. What is the point for this? SE has a different purpose: display the Universe, not focusing on Earth, or being a weather monitoring tool.
I could certainly see SE surpassing google earth though xD
To reality, through nothing, from un-everything.

xingqiu1
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

24 Apr 2019 11:43

A-L-E-X wrote:
SpaceEngineer wrote:
Probably yes, updating all textures on the planet is quite fast now.

I think you may have answered this before but will it ever become possible to show real time weather conditions on Earth using satellite images and real time landscapes on earth akin to what Google Earth shows?  I think the answer would be no because you would need to have SE connected to the internet to allow real time updates like that, but perhaps further down the road that might happen?

I think this is very redundant, because SE is an astronomical simulation software, which mainly simulates celestial bodies and astronomical phenomena in the universe. It's not important to just simulate the Earth. Google Earth has done that, and there's no point in simulating the Earth anymore.
In addition, it is suggested that SE should add astronomical ultraviolet observations, display electromagnetic waves and so on. These are too difficult for SE to develop.

snyper1188
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Constellations?

24 Apr 2019 12:30

Hi, I know that in previous versions of SE, you could enable and disable constellations...  I want to know if that is still a thing?  I can't find the button or option to view the constellations, and wonder if that function still exists.  If not, why?  Thanks :)

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Apr 2019 14:05

snyper1188 wrote:
Source of the post I can't find the button or option to view the constellations, and wonder if that function still exists.

Constellations will be available in the upcoming version 0990, it's a feature that doesn't exist in previous versions.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA