Star Engineer
Star Engineer

General questions about SpaceEngine

23 Dec 2018 00:56

Stellarator wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Maybe one day Space Engine will have something like this:

http://www.digitaliseducation.com/products-data

All I see is Digitarium:  #NotGoogleEarth :P. Interesting to see where it'll go though.

I didn't download it because it doesn't show exoplanets :(  Have you ever used ExoExplorer?  It keeps the list of exoplanets up to date, what did you think of their terrain output? Resolution is limited to 1024x768.

Also will the new version of SE show sky colors like these?  I hope we can still see purple skies like this!

purple12ceti2.jpg

I also like this- had to up the exposure to see it properly

mtnstar.jpg

milkcar.jpg

smallmtn.jpg

etacarina.jpg

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

23 Dec 2018 01:06

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Have you ever used ExoExplorer?

Yes, I actually recently downloaded it and was trying it out. It reminds me of the early days of SE, around v040 or so.

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Also will the new version of SE show sky colors like these?  I hope we can still see purple skies like this!

Of course! They will be more rare though, so they'll be more of a treat.
Futurum Fusionem

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

23 Dec 2018 01:09

Oh I was wondering about that.  I like that they keep the exoplanet list up to date by downloading the data directly from a website (plenetarybiology.com), along with all known info on that planet, do you think SE will be able to do that at some point?  And then autogenerate the terrain based on the known info about the planet?

The quality of the terrain on ExoExplorer isn't on the same level as SE though is it?  And you cant explore the terrain in 3D using a simulator the same way you can with SE?

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

23 Dec 2018 01:33

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post do you think SE will be able to do that at some point?  And then autogenerate the terrain based on the known info about the planet?

I could imagine the program doing that in the future, but not in the next few releases. Such a feature would make Steam the ideal platform for SE, however, since instead of manually downloading and installing the update packets or patches from the game site, Steam would automatically update your game for you each time you launch it with an internet connection.

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post he quality of the terrain on ExoExplorer isn't on the same level as SE though is it?

As I said, it is broadly similar to early SE graphics (this is from version 0.8.5.0):
I think we've been pretty spoiled by SpaceEngineer lately with the graphic developments in the latest releases of SE. I'm sure if I had discovered exoExplorer before I found SE, I would have considered it quite amazing.

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post And you cant explore the terrain in 3D using a simulator the same way you can with SE?

Yes you can, but it isn't as glamorous as SE.
Futurum Fusionem

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

23 Dec 2018 02:01

Yes and the resolution is a bit limited.  You cant journey through the entire known universe either :P

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

23 Dec 2018 07:12

Mosfet wrote:
Source of the post Expect about the same visual appearance as version 0880 for solar system planets,

Alright, thanks! :D
SpacyLuke wrote:
Source of the post Propulsion, Some people on YT even managed to combine space engine and outerra with success somehow (all in one)Dont ask me how though. Never tried it before.

Is "YT" YouTube? Anyway, I wish I could learn more about that, I also wish that outerra had the other planets in it.

SpacyLuke
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

23 Dec 2018 17:26

Propulsion Disk wrote:
SpacyLuke wrote:
Source of the post Propulsion, Some people on YT even managed to combine space engine and outerra with success somehow (all in one)Dont ask me how though. Never tried it before.

Is "YT" YouTube? Anyway, I wish I could learn more about that, I also wish that outerra had the other planets in it."

Yes, YT stands for Youtube. 
I dont think outerra will have more planets...like ever.

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

24 Dec 2018 13:34

SpacyLuke wrote:
Propulsion, Some people on YT even managed to combine space engine and outerra with success somehow (all in one)
Dont ask me how though. Never tried it before.

It's video editing. They just crossfade from Outerra to SpaceEngine when they get above the atmosphere.

LucaBono
Observer
Observer

26 Dec 2018 03:42

Hello,my first post here. Simple question. I downloaded some planets' Solar System HD add-on, then I put them in the relative "addons/SolarSysHD" folder as described (0.9.8beta). I tried a fly on Earth but it look like did not change anything than before.
1 did I missed something?
2 Am I wrong?
Now I go to get a look into the old 0.9.7.2  to compare....

Goodbye

LucaBono
Observer
Observer

26 Dec 2018 03:55

Sorry, I can't edit last message. Apllying "E"patch, surface of Earth looks changed. Maybe I fixed it.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

26 Dec 2018 04:53

LucaBono, HD and Ultra addons set texture resolution for some planets at 200/300 meters per pixel at best. Depending on where you are on the surface, this may be difficult to perceive.

You'll gain editing permissions as well as other forum features when you reach at least 10 posts, see Forum rules.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

LucaBono
Observer
Observer

26 Dec 2018 12:43

Hello, Mosfet. Yes I have read it but just wondering. Did it, running 0.9.7.2 (on the left) and 0.9.8e (on the right) at same time. Difference is clear. Planning to download Earth UltraHD textures.
[url=https://i.imgur.com/jP3GQQg.jpg]image link[/url]

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

26 Dec 2018 15:02

I see. It would be better to have a screenshot of 0.980 with no patch, and a copy of its se.log, which is in spaceengine /system folder, to see what really happens.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

sono2000
Observer
Observer

01 Jan 2019 08:25

My first impression of SpaceEngine..  its vast and is feature packed and incredible BUT.   I don't like to complain, but i downloaded the 18gb texture pack, and its working however the actual texture resolution at any LOD on any planet is very very underwhelming. they are blurry and appear to be limited to something that looks like 1024x1024 resolution for each level... having an 8GB modern graphics card i would have really like to have made use of it and see planets with 8K textures for each LOD....  i used to run a space sim called celestia about 15-20 years ago and to be honest once i had downloaded high res Mars textures for it, it blew space engine out of the water. That aside space engine appears to be an amazing software and i would buy the new version on steam.

sono2000
Observer
Observer

01 Jan 2019 08:35

I also looked into the process of creating texture addons, and it looks way to complex for me. Maybe future versions will somehow have a system that makes the object textures more accessible for modding without complex packing and processing. Reason being i would love to run the textures through AI upscaling software to add additional detail and size. If this was an easier process on the new space engine 0.9.9? it would be a god send.