Ultimate space simulation software

SpacyLuke
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

General questions about SpaceEngine

18 Dec 2018 18:52

Stellator, Does it mean procedural planets, nebulas etc dont exist in real life ? I mean im not talking about the way they look coz i know its all done in the engine but im talking about those celestial objects' locations in the universe, in space.
2) How do you bring up the "console" ? 
I tried ~ but nothing comes up.
I tried with CTRL + ~ and nothing either. I must add that "~" symbol is in a different place on my keyboard if it helps. (right below backspace key)

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

18 Dec 2018 19:57

SpacyLuke wrote:
Source of the post Does it mean procedural planets, nebulas etc dont exist in real life ? I mean im not talking about the way they look coz i know its all done in the engine but im talking about those celestial objects' locations in the universe, in space.

Yes, of course. Anything procedural has the prefix RS (for Random Star), RC (Random Cluster), RN (Random Nebula) or RG (Random Galaxy), followed by a series of generation data numbers. Any of those objects do not exist in real life, although the universe is vast enough that coincidental similarities might exist. That being said, a lot of SE procedurally-generated exoplanets orbit real stars. You can tell the difference because they are generally HIPPARCOS star catalog stars ( a star like HIP 1111, for example), or from some other official database like TYCHO. Similarly, procedural stars exist in cataloged star clusters, procedural clusters exist in cataloged galaxies etc. Their distribution is realistic though. Globular clusters will have mostly old, red giant phase stars and the like. Certain galaxies will have more of a specific star as the science dictates, and so on.

SpacyLuke wrote:
Source of the post How do you bring up the "console" ?
I must add that "~" symbol is in a different place on my keyboard if it helps. (right below backspace key)

Check your SE manual (unless you have already). If nothing there helps, check your computer settings, it is possible that you might have reassigned it to another by accident. Control Panel might help. If you are using a MAC, then the tilde key is a dot, like a period, but high instead of low. I am not entirely sure if you can toggle the console IN-GAME with the tilde, however.
Futurum Fusionem

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

18 Dec 2018 23:45

SpacyLuke wrote:
Source of the post 2) How do you bring up the "console" ?

If you have a keyboard with umlauts, (Ä, Ö, Ü) try the 'Ö' key.
JackDole's Universe: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Vis Mortix
Observer
Observer

19 Dec 2018 00:11

[quote="Stellarator"][quote="Vis Mortix"]Hello! I'm new here. I discover Space Engine in summer and i love the simulator very much. I wanna ask you guys if you know what are the best settings for a realistic view... I'm guessing the default settings aren't the "real" ones... Thank you.[/quote]
First of, welcome to the forum [b]Vis Mortix[/b].

Realism is largely dependent on what your idea of real is and how much scientific accuracy you want. If you want total realism, I would turn off all the procedural exoplanets, stars, nebulae and galaxies. But SE is very realistic in it's generations, and since I hardly think that's what you want here, I'll start by saying you should turn [u]Auto-Exposure[/u] ON. That way, in a high albedo environment (like near or on a planet) you won't see the relatively low-magnitude stars around the planet. This is extremely realistic, since you don't see stars in any of the pictures taken by astronauts on the moon, or on the ISS during it's daytime orbit. The stars disappear against the intensity of the sun and the reflectivity of the planet (or albedo). For this reason the stars also disappear if you are near a sun in SE, or facing a star that is close by. The Auto-exposure setting can be found under the in-game settings menu (and all the settings below as well).

Next, in the same menu, you can turn up the [u]landscape level of detail (LOD)[/u] setting for terrain generation on exoplanets - if your system can handle it. Anything above LOD 1-1.5 can be very taxing on weaker systems and may result in freezes, long load times or just CTD's. The maximum LOD setting on SE v0980 is LOD 2 and with that you can get some nice mountains and ridges on lots of exoplanets. SE v0990 will have LOD 3, making  the maximum settings much more taxing, but has texture compression and other neat optimization tools like that, so it should balance out for those of us who don't have super-computers.  While we are on the topic of graphics, you may as well set all [u]Aurora[/u], [u]Black-hole[/u] and [u]Ship Warp Effects[/u] to [u]High quality[/u], Again, only if your system can handle the load.

Next set [u]Planets[/u] to 'points'. The default setting as an unrealistic glinting effect. 'Points' disables that and makes the distant planets more solid, which would be the case in deep space, since twinkle effects are caused by an atmosphere. While we are on that topic, set star magnitude to about +12. That way you'll see pretty much all the stars except for the very dimmest when you are in interstellar space and away from any other light sources. [u]Scale[/u] is a slider that allows you to adjust the apparent size of distant stars. The default appearance of distant SE stars are orbs with visible radii when viewed from afar. I would set this setting to the lowest value to make distant stars look more sharp and point-like.

Lastly, check the boxes '[u]Ring Shadows on Sky[/u]', 'Planet Shine', and slide the [u]Planet Shine[/u] slider to 'super'. 'Real sun brightness' and 'Real planet brightness' should also be checked to compliment the above settings. Aside from that, stuff like lens flare is really a matter of personal taste.[/quote]

Thank you very much. I know that some settings can be hard viewable in gameplay but maybe they're having a big influence in the game... I tried to take one by one and see the differences but they are too many so that's why i asked here. :D Hope nobody got upset for my question. Again thank you for everything.

waynet
Observer
Observer

20 Dec 2018 12:04

Does anyone know if there are classroom learning activities for Sapce Engine? I am interested in any level for.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

20 Dec 2018 17:34

waynet wrote:
Source of the post Does anyone know if there are classroom learning activities for Sapce Engine? I am interested in any level for.

What exactly do you mean? Like using SE for teaching astronomy or something like that? Then of course! SE is highly educational and can be very useful tool in demonstrating the vastness and grandeur of the cosmos. Star typology, planetary science and the like can all be visually presented by using SE. I would stick to the solar-system and officially discovered exoplanets and stars though. Don't use the procedural stuff as established fact - maybe use them as hypothetical "what could be" examples. I myself have introduced many people to astronomy using the program.
Futurum Fusionem

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

21 Dec 2018 09:10

Are the terrestrial solar system planets going to have mountains, canyons, etc in the next update?
A lot of people have probably asked this before, but I couldn't find anything about it.
I am named after a work in progress...

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Dec 2018 14:25

Propulsion Disk wrote:
Source of the post solar system planets

Solar system planets are still not procedural but with real textures where applicable (seeFAQ), so nothing changed in that compartment. Detail textures are implemented.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

SpacyLuke
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

21 Dec 2018 17:55

Propulsion, There is a piece of soft called "Outerra". It has procedural very well detailed Earth.
Its only our planet but it looks pretty impressive.

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

22 Dec 2018 15:57

Mosfet wrote:
Source of the post Solar system planets are still not procedural but with real textures where applicable (seeFAQ), so nothing changed in that compartment. Detail textures are implemented.

I'm not talking about textures mosfet, I'm wondering if the solar system planets are going to have TERRAIN in 0.9.9.0.
PS from what I read in the FAQ, it says nothing about terrain, just that it uses "real image textures."
PPS in the page for solar system hd and ultra it says that it "will not make the level of surface details on Earth or other worlds similar to those of a procedural planet.." which I take as not changing them at all, but I might be wrong about that.

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

22 Dec 2018 16:02

SpacyLuke wrote:
Source of the post  There is a piece of soft called "Outerra".

Looks cool!

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

22 Dec 2018 17:40

I'm afraid I can't grasp your definition of terrain, then. Expect about the same visual appearance as version 0880 for solar system planets, albeit some new textures for Jupiter and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else Pluto. SpaceEngine uses height map textures to render terrain elevation, i.e. mountains, canyons, etc.
Earth 128K elevation and surface maps provided with Solar System Ultra addons have a resolution of slightly more than 300 meters per pixel.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

SpacyLuke
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

22 Dec 2018 19:29

Propulsion, Some people on YT even managed to combine space engine and outerra with success somehow (all in one)
Dont ask me how though. Never tried it before.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

22 Dec 2018 23:43

Maybe one day Space Engine will have something like this:

http://www.digitaliseducation.com/products-data

I dont think Nightshade NG displays exoplanets though

Whole Earth

Complete surface imagery at 15 meters per pixel resolution, plus topography.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

23 Dec 2018 00:27

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Maybe one day Space Engine will have something like this:

http://www.digitaliseducation.com/products-data

All I see is Digitarium:  #NotGoogleEarth :P. Interesting to see where it'll go though.
Futurum Fusionem