Free planetarium

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

General questions about SpaceEngine

16 Jan 2017 06:24

Heath wrote:
Source of the post  Will there be better graphics along the way like at least a little bit more detailed planets

Yes
Heath wrote:
Source of the post is this the best it's going to get and we will have to rely on add ons for any better things like moving water, lava, etc?

No
Heath wrote:
Source of the post Will there be easier mod support as in will there ever be a time when we can just import 3D models of stuff from places like our own creations on Blender

That is how it already is for the most part
Heath wrote:
Source of the post will we still have to use the folders system where we have to use the .pak files that have all the .sss files and .cfv files?

For the foreseeable future that is how it will stay.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Heath
Space Tourist

16 Jan 2017 10:20

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Heath wrote:
Source of the post Will there be easier mod support as in will there ever be a time when we can just import 3D models of stuff from places like our own creations on Blender

That is how it already is for the most part
Heath wrote:
Source of the post will we still have to use the folders system where we have to use the .pak files that have all the .sss files and .cfv files?

For the foreseeable future that is how it will stay.

The reason I ask about just dragging and dropping full 3D models is because I am hoping that there will be a time when you could eventually make it where you can have a ship you created in let's say Blender that is already fully fleshed out with the textures and model  that is coded as a .dae or a .3ds model and literally just put it in add ons and sure enough, the space ship will be there instead of having to make separate folders for each and every component of the space craft (which is how it is now with the various .sss and .cfv files) That is kinda what I was trying to get at so sorry if I worded it wrong. But that was what I meant/was shooting for.

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

16 Jan 2017 11:30

I don't think any engine exists that would let you do that.  If you are already putting in the effort to make a ship and it's textures, then it shouldn't be that much more of an effort to export as obj and put it in its own directory in Addons.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Gnargenox
Explorer

21 Jan 2017 02:56

WHAT!?! No star browser menu "cheat" in future versions? Only objects previously located by other users kept in an online database will be available for searching by parameters? If so, I'll move on to something else in my life right now.  :x Trying to make some lamer version of No Man's Sky? That didn't turn out so well for the developers ya know. I'm actually getting a little hot under the collar right now.... ((((deep breath))))
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

Mosfet
Pioneer

21 Jan 2017 15:30

He said "maybe"...

Gnargenox wrote:
Source of the post Trying to make some lamer version of No Man's Sky

I respectfully doubt it, I think that anyone else would try to reach a better result as a rule. Just because they failed to some extent, it doesn't necessarily mean the idea is bonkers.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods - My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

Gnargenox
Explorer

21 Jan 2017 17:07

I certainly can appreciate that Mosfet, I just hope the experience players of Space Engine have will not imitate things we've seen before. Exploration, reaching achievements, replayability, and decision making all add to an engaging and addictive game. Frustrations develop when large investments of time slow the action down. I don't want to miss out on seeing that purple and teal landscape or whatever I dream about because I must first look at black and white emptiness for eons before stumbling on something beautiful, or worse yet, someone else found it and it's marked as "done". I think one of the most innovative and attractive things about Space Engine is the ability to explore a near infinite environment, instantly, with minimal interface, where players can do what they want, when they want. It keeps things fresh. Multiple experiences and adventures are stymied when puzzle solving, endless hunting, or resource limiting make "winning" just a single path to victory most people wont ever even find. Right now you can't even call Space Engine a game, and that is what I love about it's uniqueness. My hope is it wont develop into a hunter-gatherer or resource management nightmare. Please don't limit our imaginations by putting goals too far away. Thanks Space Engineer!
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

Mosfet
Pioneer

22 Jan 2017 03:49

Gnargenox, granted it's not a game, more like a working concept lab. As far as I understand and until today, features you mentioned will be probably restricted to the Planetarium version of the program, while spaceships and gaming gears will be in game version. SpaceEngineer wrote extensively about his views in another thread, Gameplay Concept. Obviously things can change, the one thing will not change is the needing of funds :)
My mods - My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

Danielmas
Observer

03 Feb 2017 13:23

Hello to all Space Engine users. I am new in the community. I ask here because I can´t create a new thread yet. Is there a thread or a place where I can download very old versions of Space Engine like 0.74 (2010) or 0.8? I would very much like to see them. I can´t find them anywhere.

JackDole
Explorer

03 Feb 2017 13:41

Danielmas wrote:
Source of the post Is there a thread or a place where I can download very old versions of Space Engine like 0.74 (2010) or 0.8?

You can try it here or here.

Danielmas
Observer

04 Feb 2017 00:05

JackDole wrote:
Danielmas wrote:
Source of the post Is there a thread or a place where I can download very old versions of Space Engine like 0.74 (2010) or 0.8?

You can try it here or here.

Yes, thank you. On those pages the latest is 0.94, which is also impossible to download due to ancient links. And I searched all I could before posting on this forum.

Mosfet
Pioneer

04 Feb 2017 06:24

According to this http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/11-858-1 a 0.8 version didn't became public. Unfortunately links are no more active,

Xoran
Pioneer

04 Feb 2017 07:23

Danielmas wrote:
Source of the post  Is there a thread or a place where I can download very old versions of Space Engine like 0.74 (2010) or 0.8?

Why do you need older versions? Can you not run 0.9.8.0 on your pc?

Also, why are there so many hot (120-500 Celcius) oceanias. I know they are possible, due to atmospheric pressure, but i see them pretty often. Is this intentional?
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Danielmas
Observer

05 Feb 2017 04:29

Xoran wrote:
Danielmas wrote:
Source of the post  Is there a thread or a place where I can download very old versions of Space Engine like 0.74 (2010) or 0.8?

Why do you need older versions? Can you not run 0.9.8.0 on your pc?

I managed to run the newest version on desktop computers at work, but I have at home a rather old notebook and I suppose that the earliest version (simply to explore the charted universe in 3D, I do not care so much about graphics or procedural generation) could be something that my notebook can handle.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

05 Feb 2017 05:04

Gnargenox wrote:
Source of the post WHAT!?! No star browser menu "cheat" in future versions? Only objects previously located by other users kept in an online database will be available for searching by parameters? If so, I'll move on to something else in my life right now. 

I talking about the game, where user movements will be limited to ships. It's a logical thing what player's knowledge about Universe will be limited by only discovered planets, isn't it?
The planetarium will not be limited in such way of course. The planetarium and the game will be separated from each other either as a program "mode" or as a separate project.

Danielmas wrote:
Source of the post Hello to all Space Engine users. I am new in the community. I ask here because I can´t create a new thread yet. Is there a thread or a place where I can download very old versions of Space Engine like 0.74 (2010) or 0.8? I would very much like to see them. I can´t find them anywhere.

I created a thread and uploadad all old versions on google drive:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=182

Mosfet
Pioneer

05 Feb 2017 06:00

Thanks SpaceEngineer,I'm very curious about 074, I'll give a try. As I previously stated, I love to see the growth of this program, so I skimmed thru GameDev. Unfortunately russian-italian google translation it's awful...
Edit: ... but english translation is way better, yay. :)