Ultimate space simulation software

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

General questions about SpaceEngine

16 Jun 2019 12:56

Lucas there is a LandLOD value in main-user.cfg under planet rendering settings but I changed it to 2 and still it is clamped between -1 and +1. I think there must be an override somewhere but I don't know where. Or it is hard-coded. Anyway +1 is still very detailed. The differences between +1 and +2 are minimal and almost unnoticeable if you are on 2K.

On another totally unrelated question:

Does anybody know how to set a spacecraft into a fixed orbit? I remember this was one of the new features for 0.990.
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0

chasmanian
Observer
Observer

16 Jun 2019 14:06

I just found this thread.
would anyone please tell me 
if the new Space Engine (or old versions),
works good with Virtual Reality headsets?
perhaps like Oculus Quest?
thank you for any thoughts,
Charlie

khaos526
Observer
Observer

18 Jun 2019 08:09

Here's something I noticed from the pre-Steam version vs. the steam version.  It seems the music is just different.  Some songs seem to be the same [i](though maybe remixed?)[/i] and others just seem new.  But I recall 9.8.0 just sounding a lot more enigmatic and better.  Is it just me or have some of the songs from 9.8 not made it into this new version?

[i][b]Note:[/b]  I'm not saying sound quality at all, that's really good.  Just that the songs don't seem as mystical as they did[/i]

kosmitek
Observer
Observer

19 Jun 2019 09:48

I do not know if I write about it in the right place. I would like to use the PRO version for use in the planetarium. It's about rendering frames at 4096x4096 resolution in fish-eye mode. There is almost nothing about recording flights and their later rendering. Please, write me how it is solved in the PRO version. When in the basic version I want to have frames in 4096x4096 resolution I have to change the screen resolution and then I see only 1/4 of the image. You can not control the game then. Please describe to me what are the solutions related to this in the PRO version.

ProximaCentauriB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Lovely lacustrine planets lacking lakes?

19 Jun 2019 18:51

I've found one teeny-tiny lake on HIP 51468 4. None of the others has so much as a drop of water, as far as I can see. Is this a bug or are they supposed to be this way?
se 99 hip 51468 4.jpg
only lacustrine world with a lake
Space, the final frontier...
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k 4.0 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, 8 GB

jimgalaxy34
Observer
Observer

19 Jun 2019 19:05

[quote="khaos526"]
  2nd is about Space Engine and Steam [i](since I can't create a new thread for it)[/i].  SE 9.8.0e that I've had for quite a long time works great.  I discovered that SE is now on Steam and decided to buy it so I could get the newest version and have it updated a automatically and show my support as well.  My issue I found is that I cannot save any names I change in the Wiki at all when I exit SE.  When I exit, it defaults the names in the Wiki for planets, starts, Nebula's etc to the default name.

The old 9.8.0e version will save them as soon as I put them in the wiki regardless how I exit the game.  Is this a bug or is there some setting I need to change?[/quote]

After purchasing, I can verify I'm seeing the same behavior in the current Steam version (.990), and it's driving me crazy. What use is editing objects when the editing doesn't save?? I've asked for answers on the Steam forum, but haven't gotten any as yet.

f2d
Observer
Observer

19 Jun 2019 19:36

As I have read somewhere on this forum, the new classification system is more about percentage of components of the planet than its surface view, and the "lakes" are probably frozen or underground. I have seen this many times actually - when you plunge your face into such planet on high speed from faraway, you can see the underground sea level glittering before the surface terrain levels become visible.
PC: years old Intel i7-4770, 32 GB RAM, Radeon RX 460, 4 GB VRAM, 2560x1440 (main) + 4k (secondary), Win7x64.

ProximaCentauriB
Astronaut
Astronaut

20 Jun 2019 10:16

I've seen that too. Always figured it was a bug.

Thanks.
Space, the final frontier...
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k 4.0 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, 8 GB

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

20 Jun 2019 10:22

It is indeed some bug.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

khaos526
Observer
Observer

20 Jun 2019 11:06

[quote="jimgalaxy34"][quote="khaos526"]
  The old 9.8.0e version will save them as soon as I put them in the wiki regardless how I exit the game.  Is this a bug or is there some setting I need to change?[/quote]

After purchasing, I can verify I'm seeing the same behavior in the current Steam version (.990), and it's driving me crazy. What use is editing objects when the editing doesn't save?? I've asked for answers on the Steam forum, but haven't gotten any as yet.[/quote]

There is a workaround, but I found that to fail as well. You can export your save location names in the WIKI, which creates a db.cfg file in the config folder.

Then from there open it up and copy and paste everything into the tribute-eng-db.cfg file in the config folder.

Just noticed you saw my post over at steam. So yes it's good it's on the bug list and at least there is kind of a solution. However, as you saw in that post, it stopped working after the 18th for some reason and now locations I had saved in the Locations in game no longer are appearing (lost some great nebulas that I only have the pics of now as they somehow no longer exist)...

Sascha81
Observer
Observer

23 Jun 2019 03:41

How can i change sky color? Sky color is not in cloudspalette.

kosmitek
Observer
Observer

24 Jun 2019 03:19

I do not know if I write about it in the right place. I would like to use the PRO version for use in the planetarium. It's about rendering frames at 4096x4096 resolution in fish-eye mode. There is almost nothing about recording flights and their later rendering. Please, write me how it is solved in the PRO version. When in the basic version I want to have frames in 4096x4096 resolution I have to change the screen resolution and then I see only 1/4 of the image. You can not control the game then. Please describe to me what are the solutions related to this in the PRO version.
I bought a PRO version and there is no solution to this problem. The resolution of rendered frames is related to the resolution of the displayed image. So to have, for example, a 4096x4096 frame, you need to change the resolution of the rendered frame and the resolution of the displayed image, which is connected with the screen view of 1/4 of the whole image. If the display resolution does not change, the frames are upscaling from 1K ( or display res for example 1080p) to 4096x4096 and their quality is terrible. Is it possible to separate these two resolutions from each other? Can you do that the resolution of the rendered frame is independent of the resolution of the displayed image?

spectralSquire
Observer
Observer

24 Jun 2019 13:38

Is it possible to increase the probably of some form of hydrosphere (water or otherwise!) on a world? Don't get me wrong, even barren rocks are pretty interesting - but I wouldn't mind if I didn't need to search so hard to find oceanic worlds that aren't Superoceanic.

Arnie8945
Observer
Observer

29 Jun 2019 15:25

I have just purchased, and installed the new .99 release and done the latest update.  I am running Spaceegine on Windows 10 with 16mb of Ram and a 3.4 gig processor with a Nvidia Geforce 645 card.  Everything works fine.

BUT, I can not see any Space Ships.  I have them ENABLED from the right side menu.  I chick on the left menu to MANAGE space ships and there are no ships appearing.  The default ship .PAK file is in the proper locations.  I have added numerous ships to the ADDONS folder; both .PAK files and .SSS files.  I have also extracted the files for the .PAK file and put them in there proper locations - nothing.  I've read about the path issues (Spacecraft vs Spacecrafts, Addon vs Addons, etc - nothing.

I've seen a couple of references on the forum about a BUILD MENU but I can't find it.  I am NOT looking to create new ships, just use existing PAK or SSS files.  At this point, I would just like to see the default ships.  Any help would be appreciated

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

29 Jun 2019 16:29

I have just purchased, and installed the new .99 release and done the latest update.  I am running Spaceegine on Windows 10 with 16mb of Ram and a 3.4 gig processor with a Nvidia Geforce 645 card.  Everything works fine.

BUT, I can not see any Space Ships.  I have them ENABLED from the right side menu.  I chick on the left menu to MANAGE space ships and there are no ships appearing.  The default ship .PAK file is in the proper locations.  I have added numerous ships to the ADDONS folder; both .PAK files and .SSS files.  I have also extracted the files for the .PAK file and put them in there proper locations - nothing.  I've read about the path issues (Spacecraft vs Spacecrafts, Addon vs Addons, etc - nothing.

I've seen a couple of references on the forum about a BUILD MENU but I can't find it.  I am NOT looking to create new ships, just use existing PAK or SSS files.  At this point, I would just like to see the default ships.  Any help would be appreciated
Are you in "Planetarium" mode or "Flight Simulator" mode? There are no ships in Planetarium mode anymore.