Ultimate space simulation software

Arnie8945
Observer
Observer

General questions about SpaceEngine

29 Jun 2019 23:01

I have just purchased, and installed the new .99 release and done the latest update.  I am running Spaceegine on Windows 10 with 16mb of Ram and a 3.4 gig processor with a Nvidia Geforce 645 card.  Everything works fine.

BUT, I can not see any Space Ships.  I have them ENABLED from the right side menu.  I chick on the left menu to MANAGE space ships and there are no ships appearing.  The default ship .PAK file is in the proper locations.  I have added numerous ships to the ADDONS folder; both .PAK files and .SSS files.  I have also extracted the files for the .PAK file and put them in there proper locations - nothing.  I've read about the path issues (Spacecraft vs Spacecrafts, Addon vs Addons, etc - nothing.

I've seen a couple of references on the forum about a BUILD MENU but I can't find it.  I am NOT looking to create new ships, just use existing PAK or SSS files.  At this point, I would just like to see the default ships.  Any help would be appreciated
Are you in "Planetarium" mode or "Flight Simulator" mode? There are no ships in Planetarium mode anymore.

Mr Abner:
The only place I see "Planetarium" and "Flight Simulator" items is the opening screen.  The first item is "Continue".  If I click on "Flight Simulator" the message I get is "Flight Simulator is in the Alpha stage - Work in progress".  What do I do next or am I in the wrong place?

Arnie

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

30 Jun 2019 00:23

The only place I see "Planetarium" and "Flight Simulator" items is the opening screen.  The first item is "Continue".  If I click on "Flight Simulator" the message I get is "Flight Simulator is in the Alpha stage - Work in progress".  What do I do next or am I in the wrong place?
You can nevertheless use the Flight Simulator.
You click 'Flight Simulator', then 'Continue'.
The 'Spacecraft Manager' is probably already open. If not, press 'Ctrl F3'
Then click 'Build'.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

30 Jun 2019 14:45

The only place I see "Planetarium" and "Flight Simulator" items is the opening screen.  The first item is "Continue".  If I click on "Flight Simulator" the message I get is "Flight Simulator is in the Alpha stage - Work in progress".  What do I do next or am I in the wrong place?

Arnie
What JackDole said. The message is just to let you know some spaceship functions may be very buggy, but it works (mostly) the same as 980.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

01 Jul 2019 01:40

I found a work around for the issue that some/many stars and solar system objects in the sky of an object I have landed on dont show labels when I click on them nor can I "go to" them since clicking on them doesn't work.  I merely fly towards the object and when I get off the surface (still in the atmosphere of the object I was landed on) I can now select the object in the sky and Go To it.

I am still confused by the new slider that says Auto Saturation Illuminator.  You can radically change the color of the atmosphere and object you are on if you deselect Auto and manually adjust the slider.  Which would be the most accurate way to do it?  Leave it on Auto?

Also is using Ultra preset recommended or should I use a custom setting?  Ultra seems to work fine for me.  I have not added the Gaia 5 million star add on because 0.980e was lagging with it and 0.990 seems to run faster for me.  And perhaps Gaia stars will automatically be added to the program one day?  Thats the same reason I haven't added any planets.  Also I dont want to turn off procedurals to reduce lag from the Gaia add-on because then other galaxies and globular clusters look barren.

Arnie8945
Observer
Observer

02 Jul 2019 23:05

The only place I see "Planetarium" and "Flight Simulator" items is the opening screen.  The first item is "Continue".  If I click on "Flight Simulator" the message I get is "Flight Simulator is in the Alpha stage - Work in progress".  What do I do next or am I in the wrong place?
You can nevertheless use the Flight Simulator.
You click 'Flight Simulator', then 'Continue'.
The 'Spacecraft Manager' is probably already open. If not, press 'Ctrl F3'
Then click 'Build'.

Thanks for your reply - everything works fine. Wish everything in life was that simple  :^)  I LOVE this sim - no shooting or beatum up.  I look forward to new developments, updates, and addons.  This should be "Game of the Year"

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

07 Jul 2019 03:18

Does anybody know how to set a spacecraft into a fixed orbit? I remember this was one of the new features for 0.990.
Any info on this & sorry to ask again ?
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

07 Jul 2019 03:35

How can I make small movies?  I dont mean anything too large just a video of how the screen changes when I go to a planet and land on its surface and when I'm in space and the stars are streaking by.  I want to get the 3D effect into a youtube video.  I wish there was a single button to do it like there is for screenshots.  I am using a 1024x768 window for SE so I am hoping I can make videos of that size with high quality graphics (I am using the Ultra preset) without using too much memory for something like 5-10 min videos.

pilgrimage
Observer
Observer

13 Jul 2019 04:51

How do I make cinematic video with Space engine?

Hi I see impressive videos created with Space Engine. How is this kind of cinematic shooting done with the space engine? Is there a tutorial you can offer on this subject?

Is there a step-by-step tutorial?

Thankyou.

Taellyn
Observer
Observer

16 Jul 2019 15:10

I tried locating the info your site, but can't find it. What are the designations derived from? RS & RSC. I've figured out that first set of numbers designates the star, but I couldn't find info on the Planets/Moons in a search engine typing out the long designations y'all use. I'm just curious.

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

16 Jul 2019 21:25

I tried locating the info your site, but can't find it. What are the designations derived from? RS & RSC. I've figured out that first set of numbers designates the star, but I couldn't find info on the Planets/Moons in a search engine typing out the long designations y'all use. I'm just curious.
R is for Random, which means it's a fictional object procedurally generated by Space Engine. RS is the code for stars, RSC is for stars that are members of clusters, and RG is for galaxies.

Taellyn
Observer
Observer

16 Jul 2019 22:22

So the planets I've been looking at aren't real? Nor the stars? Wow.

NoName
Observer
Observer

15 Aug 2019 12:19

Why is the LMC and the SMC flat? Don't they have a third dimension like other irregular galaxies?

demoversatile
Observer
Observer

19 Aug 2019 09:17

Is it possible to put a png image overlay so as to mask out parts of the rendering? 

rhialto
Observer
Observer

29 Sep 2019 00:00

Using the planet browser, where you can see the system of planets around a star...is there a way to go directly to one of the planets?

I right click on a planet to see if I get a "go to" option, but I do not.

Maybe this function does not exist?

I have found it impossible to visit any planets like this. I used SE years ago and seem to recall being able to do so, but I suppose I am wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Atlantean
Observer
Observer

29 Sep 2019 00:38

Using the planet browser, where you can see the system of planets around a star...is there a way to go directly to one of the planets?
I right click on a planet to see if I get a "go to" option, but I do not.
Maybe this function does not exist?
There's an "invisible" button in top-right corners
► Show Spoiler
(or you can just select a planet and press G)
█▒█ ███ ▒█▒ ███ █▒█ ███ █▒█ █▒█ ███ ███
███ ▒▒█ ▒██ █▒█ ▒▒▒ █▒▒ ███ ██▒ ▒▒▒ ▒▒▒
█▒█ ███ ███ █▒█ ███ █▒▒ █▒█ ▒██ █▒█ ▒█▒
█▒▒ ▒▒█ █▒█ █▒█ █▒█ █▒▒ █▒▒ █▒█ ███ ███