Ultimate space simulation software

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Relativistic simulation and non-stationary calculation of black hole graphics

19 Jun 2021 17:40

There's not much to explain - a mode that colourshifts and distorts the view according to relativity (with an option to customise the speed of light) and black hole graphics that are generated based on their velocity relative to the camera. I've seen a couple programs that can do this and run relatively well, so I don't see any reason why SE couldn't handle these techniques.

http://gamelab.mit.edu/games/a-slower-speed-of-light/
https://ebvalaim.pl/en/black-hole-simulator/
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer

20 Jun 2021 04:39

Also, the time would run slower when you are close to a super massive blac hole, so this would mean that the time in earth would run faster? I'm a little confused tho.
Hello, I LOVE lasagna and Space Engine. ♥

My Specs: Intel Core I5 12600K, Corsair Vengeance Pro SL 32GB, MSI Z690-A WIFI DDR4, GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER 8G.

ghosterneil
Observer
Observer

20 Jun 2021 22:25

If the simulation of the theory of relativity can be implemented in SE, I think it will be great. But I am a bit confused about how time should be calculated in the relativity universe. If I switch from controlling a high-speed flying spacecraft to planetarium mode, whether the time should suddenly increase a lot. I can also think of some problems caused by the theory of relativity. It is obviously complicated to add the theory of relativity to the SE and pure local simulation.

Looking forward to the day when the theory of relativity is realized in SE

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

21 Jun 2021 11:23

Khorrah
ghosterneil
Localized time would be too much to ask, although having a clock comparing what the time would be out at infinity and the player's current location couldn't be too hard to implement. What I'm really asking for is distorting and colour-shifting the view based on velocity, and the generation of black hole graphics taking into account the velocity of the player; current graphics are based on what you'd see at a standstill at each point you traverse, which isn't too realistic. You wouldn't see the sky shrink, but rather you'd see the sky warp and band into a tunnel until you reach the singularity (https://jila.colorado.edu/~ajsh/insidebh/schw.html).

Relevant to this, volumetric accretion disk update could also reflect this sim's probably accurate idea of what a realistic BH would look like - the event horizon wouldn't be black, but rather have a much more colourful appearance as material appears to freeze at the event horizon (https://jila.colorado.edu/~ajsh/insidebh/realistic.html).
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

21 Jun 2021 23:54

There's actually no singularity and I suggest we don't do anything until we have a workable theory of quantum gravity, unless you want to do conjectural (and in that case base it off of loop quantum cosmology).  Relativity ceases to work on these scales and black holes are literally a hole in current theories.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

21 Jun 2021 23:56

If the simulation of the theory of relativity can be implemented in SE, I think it will be great. But I am a bit confused about how time should be calculated in the relativity universe. If I switch from controlling a high-speed flying spacecraft to planetarium mode, whether the time should suddenly increase a lot. I can also think of some problems caused by the theory of relativity. It is obviously complicated to add the theory of relativity to the SE and pure local simulation.

Looking forward to the day when the theory of relativity is realized in SE
the theory of relativity does not work on the scale of black holes and singularities are the reason why.  wait for quantum gravity