Ultimate space simulation software

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Global list of suggestions

18 Mar 2017 16:20

Well, it's a typical case where "Last edited by" feature comes in very handy and makes the previous line useless ;)
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

DeathStar
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

19 Mar 2017 20:22

Well, it's a typical case where "Last edited by" feature comes in very handy and makes the previous line useless ;)
Eh, it kind of is redundant. I'll remove it next time around.

nonstopsuperguy
Observer
Observer

28 Mar 2017 14:19

To get the most revenue and to continue getting revenue in the future, the Space Engine Devs should use Patreon! They'd hit their goals right away!
Universe of Possibilities

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

28 Mar 2017 14:42

the Space Engine Devs
Hahaha! There's only one developer, our lord Vladimir. If you want to donate, there's a place to do so on the main page
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

28 Mar 2017 19:50

the Space Engine Devs should use Patreon!
First off, like Hornblower said, there is only one dev programming SE with a few other community members who do other small things like nebula/galaxies/systems/etc.  Vladimir is the one who receives all funding so he can continue programming and advancing the engine.
Secondly, I suggested Patreon originally but after reviewing their terms and how donations are made through Patreon it is not a good platform for SE due to the slow nature of updates and the inability to promise people goods and services for being patrons.  The best platform currently would be a flat no guarantees donation, like there is now, and eventually selling the program on Steam giving people early beta access and Steam features, while the program will remain free on the site.  The Steam launch should be some time this year.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer

29 Mar 2017 07:09

The Steam launch should be some time this year.
really? so, no more steam keys but a beta access to buy? :-)

nonstopsuperguy
Observer
Observer

01 Apr 2017 13:31

the Space Engine Devs should use Patreon!
First off, like Hornblower said, there is only one dev programming SE with a few other community members who do other small things like nebula/galaxies/systems/etc.  Vladimir is the one who receives all funding so he can continue programming and advancing the engine.
Secondly, I suggested Patreon originally but after reviewing their terms and how donations are made through Patreon it is not a good platform for SE due to the slow nature of updates and the inability to promise people goods and services for being patrons.  The best platform currently would be a flat no guarantees donation, like there is now, and eventually selling the program on Steam giving people early beta access and Steam features, while the program will remain free on the site.  The Steam launch should be some time this year.
Thanks for the info. I just kinda figured it would bring in a more stable revenue. Oh well, the Steam beta access will be plenty. I'll definitely be jumping on that the moment it launches. Keep us posted dude! Cheers! :)
Universe of Possibilities

John Boone
Observer
Observer

03 Apr 2017 22:17

ok so i think it would be an interesting feature if you could spawn an outline of a real solar system object next to something else out in the universe. i feel like that would be a nice way to get some perspective on how large or small some procedural objects are relative the bodies we're all familiar with.
Maybe it’s a little early. Maybe the time is not quite yet. But those other worlds — promising untold opportunities — beckon. Silently, they orbit the Sun, waiting -Carl Segan

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

04 Apr 2017 06:45

ok so i think it would be an interesting feature if you could spawn an outline of a real solar system object next to something else out in the universe
Post suggestions here, this thread only exists for displaying common suggestions :)
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

tornadotodd
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

31 Jan 2018 19:09

First time I have seen this. You are right, suggestions do quickly get buried and while some are common or redundant others are quite innovative and pretty exciting to consider. I have read a few that I have really liked that seem to have been buried in time.. If it does not already exist maybe a rating system, or a simple 1- 5 star scale that each reader afterwards can select or somehow tally would be neat just to to see the sats on the popularity of each idea.

Kareem
Observer
Observer

08 Feb 2018 12:11

One important suggestion is to make a Linux version. There are load of Linux users that do not use Windows. Possibly additional donations from that demographic including me.

Shaggy
Observer
Observer

13 Feb 2018 14:25

That will be an offtopic. Since the forum would be obviously swarmed with people writing new threads, as there's like 2 new posts on forums all day, apparently a "create thread" option is locked for me until I spam enough. :) So: 

What's going on with in-game Wiki? Only General tab works, I can't check physical properties of found objects. That sucks, because I'm trying to search for various records. So I can't even check a density of a black hole. Is it something that's just currently unavailable?

enioguedes
Observer
Observer

15 Nov 2018 07:50

The development of Space Engine is impressing me much, but my question is if there will be more variety of terrain generated. The land on current spaceengine appears to be very random on rocky planets. Look at Earth, Mars, Venus and Titan. Such worlds have very unique forms of lands or seas. I mean the form of continents. On the other hand, the continents on planets generated appear very similar each other. Spaceengine could have a type of generation code to allow the presence, in the same planet, of retangular, triangular, curved or even continents of irregular shape. I mean, more variety of kinds of continents on the same planet.

Example: A random planet with a continent similar to South America and another similar to Australia. It don't have to be equal to those continents, but more like a default setup. It could also allow you to draw custom surfaces, not just texture, but the relief itself. With that worlds in spaceengine will look more unique each other, not so similar.

I will give another example... mainfreq, marefreq and maredensity. Instead of marefreq and maredensity generate more cratered-like terrain (the program already has crater settings) mainfreq could be used to give more detail to the continents and relief themselves. Marefreq could be used to determine the amount of continents or plate tectonics. Maredensity could be used to increase the distance between lands, without lowering the terrain height, so that continents appear more genuine, like those on Earth. More codes would be necessary to add a more variety of shapes to islands and continents. 

It could have a code to make continents more or less fragmented, maybe.

I just think the terrain generated on earth-like planets appear too generic.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

16 Nov 2018 17:02

How about a monthly updated plugin that updates the list of exoplanets that have been recently discovered- that way we dont have to add them individually or wait for the next version.

Arturo100
Explorer
Explorer

11 Mar 2019 00:25

A nice addition would be procedural color palettes for gas and ice giants, because most I have come across have lavender and beige clouds, It is fine at the moment though.
With the amount of bizarre creatures on Earth, I doubt aliens would look like humans with skull deformations or skin conditions.