Ultimate space simulation software

MatsoftwareAtHereToo
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Suggestions about new website

15 Nov 2016 09:53

Mosfet wrote:
MatsoftwareAtHereToo wrote:
Source of the post Don't close the old website, because by closing the old website, SE will lose many users,

It's nonsense. The software will be used anyway. People search webpages because they seek help or advice regarding Space Engine, they want to know about it, then they stick around forums if they find it worthy. It's not really the appearance that make it so, it's the users behavior and contents. There are forums it's not worth going in because of lack of rules of conduct or users rudeness, but the software to which the forum is related is thriving nonetheless.

Yes, maybe
My mods, My forum
The new website is too dark|DOT| Matsoftware from the old forum[DOT]

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

15 Nov 2016 10:16

Personally I'd try with a font-size a point or two bigger, because I find it a bit more comfortable (I'm growing old).
Since I noticed that the post background is indeed black but with a very dim transparency, I tried to make it transparent a bit more by tweaking values to see if it will ease a bit the contrast, but I'm not sure page scrolling would be better, oh well...
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

17 Nov 2016 11:06

JCandeias wrote:
Also, the background here is uncomfortably dark. I much prefer the one in the old forum. Can we customize it at will?

Thinking further about this, I find that it's not just the background to blame for it. It's the font as well. Verdana (the one used in the old forum) is much more readable than helvetica neue (the one used in the new one). This matters.
My addons are to be found at JCandeias' Ships

Current count: 2

Proteus
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

18 Nov 2016 06:33

I was wondering why the text on the website is blocky and bold now and the backgrounds are all pixelated.

qotop
Observer
Observer

18 Nov 2016 07:18

Proteus, the text is the same width, but has more letter spacing. There were optimization bugs on background, replaced it, this one could be better.

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

18 Nov 2016 09:47

Ah. Much better now!

Edit: The latest changes in the forum seem to have broken the images' overlay (i.e., what happens when one clicks in them), though.

qotop
Observer
Observer

18 Nov 2016 22:04

JCandeias,what do you mean? Does not open fancybox? I can't see it in my side, show me specific place.

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

19 Nov 2016 08:35

If by fancybox you mean the image overlay that lets you see it in full size and in full screen, then yes. This is what happens when I click on a locally stored(*) image: the background gets darker, as it should, but nothing else is right. Notice how the scroll bar at the right weirds out, for instance.

screenshotfancybox.png

I'm using the latest version of Firefox. Don't know how other browsers are dealing with it.

(*) "locally stored" in the Space Engine site, I mean, as opposed to stuff hosted in imgur and similar sites.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Nov 2016 10:50

This seems to be mainly a problem with Firefox.
With Chrome or Opera it works with me. Even with the Internet Explorer.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Proteus
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

19 Nov 2016 11:06

qotop wrote:
Proteus, the text is the same width, but has more letter spacing. There were optimization bugs on background, replaced it, this one could be better.

Is what you're seeing here with the background the way it is meant to be shown? (This is how it is showing up to me, in Chrome).

qotop
Observer
Observer

19 Nov 2016 11:33

JCandeias, now I see it, such problem is only in firefox, will fix it, thx.
Proteus, very interestiing bug, I couldn't duplicate it in my place. It seems non-empty cache problem m.b. This problem was appeared with last updates? Did you see the same with the pre background?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Nov 2016 14:43

In addition to the fancybox issue, with Firefox there's also a horizontal scroll bar appearing when loading a gallery, as if the wrapper div is growing in width.
Appunti03.jpg
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

20 Nov 2016 14:21

It seems my user is no more able to stay logged on once you log off a first time. Doesn't seem to be a browser-dependent problem.
Even if you re-login, if you visit the main page and you return to forum, you're logged off again, despite the "remember me" option.
Also, after few seconds in the chat page, you're disconnected.

qotop
Observer
Observer

20 Nov 2016 23:35

Mosfet,The problem was fixed. If you still have it, go to the link
ucp.php?mode=delete_cookies
and click "yes".
If it didn't help, purge your browser cookies.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Nov 2016 04:56

Thanks qotop!