Free planetarium

JCandeias
Space Tourist

Suggestions & Feedback about the Website and Forum

28 Jan 2017 17:44

Guys, I'm experiencing a bizarre problem logging in with Firefox in the new forum. I'm currently logged in with Chrome, and it's working, and I did log in without any problem, with Firefox, in the old forum. But I can't log in here with Firefox. Or, rather, I do and yet I don't.

Yes. I log in, all seems fine. But then, I appear registered as a logged in user in the list of active users but the forum doesn't let me do anything, as if I wasn't logged in at all. It's kind of like it accepts the login but logs out immediately and automatically. When I try to do anything (view a profile, make a reply, anything), it asks me to log in. If I do, if I try again, it accepts the new login (i.e., it gives no error messages), but nothing happens, again.

I even tried to create a new account, to try to contact an admin about this problem, to no avail. It keeps telling me the data I enter is invalid.

I cleared cookies and stuff, and there's no change. This is seriously weird.

Mosfet
Pioneer

29 Jan 2017 07:55

JCandeias, maybe there's something wrong with some firefox addons or themes, see my answer in the old forum.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods - My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

Starlight Glimmer
Space Pilot

29 Jan 2017 08:17

Is the old site closed yet? I think it should be closed very soon.

Canleskis
Space Tourist

29 Jan 2017 14:21

Starlight Glimmer wrote:

Should still be accessible for some time but we will not be able to post on it from february.

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

29 Jan 2017 14:31

Canleskis wrote:
Source of the post Should still be accessible for some time

It should be accessible forever for archival purposes but registration is closed and posting will be closed in February.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Starlight Glimmer
Space Pilot

29 Jan 2017 15:33

Canleskis wrote:
Starlight Glimmer wrote:

Should still be accessible for some time but we will not be able to post on it from february.

Thank you for telling me. February 1st I am assuming?

Cirax
Observer

31 Jan 2017 08:42

What the hell should I do to create a new post?   I just registered to update my old posts and I can't find the new thread button or whatever... It's because I need certain number of post of what?  Thanks in advance, I can't read all posts to find the solution, I have a limited period of time...
My work for SE:
Textures for the solar system bodies: moons of Saturn and Uranus; Triton, Neptune, Venus:Click Here
Catalogs of binary stars, brown dwarfs, black holes and neutron stars (already in official SE).
Proxima b (6 versions):Click Here

Cirax
Observer

31 Jan 2017 09:10

I mean how to create a new thread, sorry.   Damn, I don't even know how to edit a post.
My work for SE:
Textures for the solar system bodies: moons of Saturn and Uranus; Triton, Neptune, Venus:Click Here
Catalogs of binary stars, brown dwarfs, black holes and neutron stars (already in official SE).
Proxima b (6 versions):Click Here

Mosfet
Pioneer

31 Jan 2017 10:43

Yes you need 10 posts at least I believe. You should see a pen/stylus icon on the top-right corner of your post if you have editing permissions.
If you click for example on Feedback and suggestions, you can see what are your permissions now at the bottom of the page, something like:

Forum permissions
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can post attachments in this forum

These are mine, of course.
My mods - My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

jasperhb
Space Tourist

11 Feb 2017 16:56

Where are we supposed to post topics?

Mosfet
Pioneer

13 Feb 2017 03:52

Bambusman wrote:
Source of the post Using your smartphone you can not see what you are writting on this forum

Right. Using Chrome on android smartphone: the Quick Reply field, when selected, it changes background color to white, leaving the user with a white-on-white text.

jasperhb wrote:
Source of the post Where are we supposed to post topics?

First you need to go to a main thread on the board index. And you need at least 10 posts in existing topics to unlock topic creation.

Xoran
Pioneer

13 Feb 2017 07:55

Mosfet wrote:
Source of the post And you need at least 10 posts in existing topics to unlock topic creation.

Then what about my "Black boxes around text" thread in the Troubleshooting and Solutions forum, i created it before i posted anything whatsoever.
Also a voting system would be nice, like if someone has an offensive name and it needs to be changed, you could vote for a name, or to see which features in the forum or game most people want to see implemented.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Mosfet
Pioneer

13 Feb 2017 12:42

Xoran wrote:
Source of the post Then what about my "Black boxes around text" thread in the Troubleshooting and Solutions forum, i created it before i posted anything whatsoever.

Since only recently people asked about it, my guess is that the feature wasn't active when you posted your topic, and it is placed in order to force somehow new users to consider posting in existing threads like "Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0980", which are carefully made to help.

Xoran
Pioneer

19 Feb 2017 05:04

Mosfet wrote:
Source of the post Since only recently people asked about it, my guess is that the feature wasn't active when you posted your topic, and it is placed in order to force somehow new users to consider posting in existing threads like "Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0980", which are carefully made to help.

When i posted the thread, i had no idea that "Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0980" had that purpose, maybe there should be some text saying that you should post in the thread if you had problems with Space Engine. :)
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Mosfet
Pioneer

19 Feb 2017 08:16

Xoran wrote:
Source of the post maybe there should be some text saying that you should post in the thread if you had problems with Space Engine.

In fact it's in FAQ section of the manual pages, under "Troubleshooting":
Q: I’m having problems running SpaceEngine. What should I do?
A: Please go to the Troubleshooting thread, choose your SpaceEngine version, and follow instructions.

Q: I read the thread and tried all the suggestions, but SpaceEngine still doesn’t work.
A: Post about your problem in the Troubleshooting thread (after choosing your SpaceEngine version), and please include your se.log file (see the top of the thread for instructions).

Maybe there's the underlying assumption that users approaching the program read website FAQ first, which apparently it's not always true.  :D
I doubt some more links to the thread would do better, ultimately it only depends on user's personal approach to existing material.
Maybe a "problems? follow instructions here. Questions? read the FAQ" link somewhere on top of the forum main page could help some lost soul, I don't know.